Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #61

North to Alaska 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
We went to Alaska from Florida last summer. Left May 8th and returned home Sept 10th. A great trip, 17000 miles on the truck and about 14000 on the trailer. Did not have any issues but we did have a two year old truck and a one year old trailer.

We crossed into Canada from Montana then spent 12 days in the Canadian Rockies before making our way to the Alaska Highway. The roads were generally good considering where they were located. Along the way we took side trips to Skagway, Haines, and Dawson City. Went to Dawson City via the Top of the World Highway (a highway in name only). It is actually a dirt and gravel road for most of the trip from Tok AK. Although we saw a number of RVs on this road, we left the trailer in Tok as I did not want to take the trailer on this road.

On the way back we took the Cassiar Highway for a change of scenery. We crossed back into Montana and took US 2 all the way back to the UP of Michigan. It was a nice drive as we were not in any hurry and after thousands of miles on two lane roads in Canada and Alaska, we were good with travelling on the two lane US 2.

As said get a copy of the Milepost. It describes all the roads in Canada and Alaska and notable things along the way. There is also a campground book by Church and ? that gives info on most of the camping areas.

The best advice I can give you is to just take your time and enjoy the trip. Many days on the Alaska Highway we only travelled 120 to 150 miles to allow for stops whenever we wanted and to stay as long as we wanted.
Sounds a lot like our plan this summer from Colorado and back. Any ideas on cooking, bear-proofing?
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #62

Where is the best place to exchange US dollars at? Would you wait until you get to the border or do it now at a local bank. Where do to get the best rate at? Is it better to use Canadian money than a credit card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #63

In Canada we only used credit card that didn't charge for exchange rate. It must be a chipped card. Didn't use any currency till we were back in Alaska.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #64

I recently got a Delta Airlines, AMEX, platinum card. Though 195 annual fee, there are no additional foreign exchange fee, and by the time the purchase hits my card in US $, the exchange rate is fair, a market rate. Other cards I have, soak me a 3% fee, then the exchange rate is market minus a few cents. The AMEX card has given me the best service so far.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #65

Woo hoo - we are 48 days away from our jumping off date for our trip to Alaska.
I looked up one of my old running buddies from back in my crazy days (1973). Found him on FB and he sent me his phone #. He lives in Kenai and we are going to hook up and do some fishing together.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Woo hoo - we are 48 days away from our jumping off date for our trip to Alaska.
I looked up one of my old running buddies from back in my crazy days (1973). Found him on FB and he sent me his phone #. He lives in Kenai and we are going to hook up and do some fishing together.

Where were you stationed at?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Where were you stationed at?

Where was I stationed? I spent most of my time in Augsburg Germany 1969-1971
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #68

Following for future trip - hopefully! Good luck and happy travels!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #69

We are tied down at Camp Tamarack in Grand Prairie AB, We will make our official start at mile 0 in Dawson Creek tomorrow. Been on the road out of sunny southern Arizona 8 days now. Made three one day stay overs along the way to sight see and rest a bit.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #70

We leave home tomorrow for a short two day trip, then back home for two days and then start toward Alaska. We should have left on the 23 of May but something came up. Been planning this trip for a year. We have only made one reservation so far, next weekend make some more. Our schedule is really set like Jello, we don't know where the next campsite is. We just want to end up in Fairbanks, if we have time I may take the truck on the Dalton Highway, not the camper. Delta Junction, FT Greely where I was stationed at in 73

Old 06-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #71
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Delta Junction, FT Greely where I was stationed at in 73
My father (as well as myself, Mom and sister) were at Greeley from '62-'65. Dad was the NCOIC of the Tank Range. He was testing the M60A1.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #72

No problems finding spots at any of the RV parks so far. We stopped early yesterday at Watson Lake's Downtown park. It started filling up fast after 3pm but there were still maybe 6 open late evening. Staying two days here for shopping and laundry. Not much here but there are the necessities. Be prepared gas is over $4.00 didn't check the diesel price.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #73

Is fuel high in all of Canada or just along the Alcan

Old 06-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #74

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Right now in western Canada a major refinery shut down unacceptably and shortages exist. That has driven the price. The have not province of Ontario is shipping fuel westward to help with the shortage from refineries here, our prices jumped10 cents a litre because of the need. Never a problem though to live free in Canada!!

Also a huge freaking fire and a large part of the city burnt to the ground. #albertastrong
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #75

Does Direct tv work in Canada? Does it work in Alaska?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #76

Quote:
Does Direct tv work in Canada? Does it work in Alaska?

Yes, it works in Canada (at least in Ontario). how far north will depend on the dish going lower and lower until the satellite is inaccessible. DirecTV has no idea where you are, although it appears that they have saved power by not pushing signal very deep into Mexico.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:35 AM   #77

Quick update.....we headed out from Denver on June 1, delayed a few hours, because our Golden, Sierra, has been diagnosed with bone cancer. One chemo treatment + pain meds and she is on the trip with us. Great driving weather so far. Sheridan WY day 1, Shelby MT day 2. 45 minutes at Coutts AB, to enter Canada. No real questions other than alcohol, tobacco, firearms (shotgun, in transit permit per Canadian law). Didn't ask for rabies certificate, much less inspect our dog food or people food stash. Milk River day 3. Cowboy Trail (AB-22) to Hinton day 4, to visit Jasper with friends from Grande Prairie. Then Grand Prairie for a few nights. Off to Dawson, to Ft. Nelson tomorrow morning. NOTE: In Alberta, stores are starting to charge for shopping bags (since May) so be prepared with your own reusable bags or prepared to pay for them, 5 cents each I believe.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #78

Did you go in an FR3? Any suggestions? Need to cover the undercarriage?
J1BCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #79

In Alaska as if yesterday evening @Tok. Diesel @ 2.68/gal. Some rough patches towards Fairbanks but nothing to match the rough road in Yukon! Stopping for two days @AFB Family Camp.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #80
2015 FR3 25DS

Joining this thread! We're headed out on a 4-5 week road trip moving from NC to Alaska in a couple of weeks. Newbies to RVing and never been to Alaska- but excited about both!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote