Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Monterra
North to Alaska

The DW and I are talking about heading to Alaska next year. The plan is to head south from Ontario to TN and then west to CA (San Diego), head up the pacific highway and on to Anchorage. We will then head home to Ontario via Alberta and the northern states. Google maps pegs this at 17,000 km (say 20,000 km) and I expect it will take 4 - 5 months. Will depart in Apr and should be home by Sep.

I'm wondering what advice, if any, people have regarding add'l supplies, spare parts, etc. The tires are original and no checking evident. Should I bring a couple of spares on rims? We have Good Sam roadside assistance but have yet to assess its effectiveness.

'10 2304 Mini Lite
'14 Honda Ridgeline
Monterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

Wow,
sounds like the trip of a lifetime.
I'll be watching the responses here as I am a pretty regional camper.
Hope it all works out.
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes, please post updates along the way. One good thing is that you can pick up items along the way pretty readily.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Wow!!! how do you say "bucket list!!" I think the couple spares would be a good idea.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

We made the trip last year and it was fantastic. We did carry an extra tire for the trailer and it came in handy. On the way home in the middle of BC we had one of the trailer tires ware out and had a tough time finding the right size replacement. After visiting several Canadian Tire stores finally found a replacement. The area was relatively populated so we were really surprised at having the difficulty in finding a replacement. Suspect it would be even harder if it had happened in the Yukon. There is very little in the way of RV supplies between Grand Prairie AB and Fairbanks so being able to handle simple repairs along the way is a good idea.

Our travel blog from the trip is at: deanvalsadventure.blogspot.com

Our AK trip starts on July 5.

Dean
deanboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

I too want to make that trip from Boston down the east coast to the Florida Key's, across the southern USA to Grand Canyon, to San Diego, up the pacific coast through wine country, scoot over to Yellowstone and Teton's, back to the pacific Northwest , north up to Alaska, and then through Canada to Nova Scotia, back to Boston. I figure it will take a good solid year to complete. lol. Might have to do it in reverse as I would not want to be traveling through northern Canada in the winter. Especially after this winter!!!

Good luck on your trip. You carry the hope of us all that we can do it also with you.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
rbq

Go to your local book store or find one online. There is a yearly publication called "The Milepost" which is your ultimate travel guide with road & attraction information that will make your travels much more enjoyable. Don't leave for Alaska without getting one.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Milepost is a must!
The best resource we had when we went to Alaska.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
Old Timer

X2 on the "Milepost"

kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

We went to Alaska from Florida last summer. Left May 8th and returned home Sept 10th. A great trip, 17000 miles on the truck and about 14000 on the trailer. Did not have any issues but we did have a two year old truck and a one year old trailer.

We crossed into Canada from Montana then spent 12 days in the Canadian Rockies before making our way to the Alaska Highway. The roads were generally good considering where they were located. Along the way we took side trips to Skagway, Haines, and Dawson City. Went to Dawson City via the Top of the World Highway (a highway in name only). It is actually a dirt and gravel road for most of the trip from Tok AK. Although we saw a number of RVs on this road, we left the trailer in Tok as I did not want to take the trailer on this road.

On the way back we took the Cassiar Highway for a change of scenery. We crossed back into Montana and took US 2 all the way back to the UP of Michigan. It was a nice drive as we were not in any hurry and after thousands of miles on two lane roads in Canada and Alaska, we were good with travelling on the two lane US 2.

As said get a copy of the Milepost. It describes all the roads in Canada and Alaska and notable things along the way. There is also a campground book by Church and ? that gives info on most of the camping areas.

The best advice I can give you is to just take your time and enjoy the trip. Many days on the Alaska Highway we only travelled 120 to 150 miles to allow for stops whenever we wanted and to stay as long as we wanted.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #11

One of your original questions regarding spare tires - Your trailer will be 6 years old when you start the trip, the tires could be older. Why not install all new tires before you go, and take the best 2 old tires with you as spares. Make sure your trailer bearings and brakes are in good condition and carry a spare set of bearings too (along with grease, a cotter key and a wrench to fit the nut). Spare light bulbs for the trailer and truck, etc. My theory is that if you have it you won't need it, but the opposite is also true.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

We are planning to leave June 30, 2016 to make our way to Alaska. Thinking of heading across Canada from Ontario then North thru Alberta to the Yukon and Alaska. Head south thru BC and continue down the pacific coast to CA then head east thru the southern states. Still in the planning stages. Wouldn't mind hooking up with other travellers for the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Robecage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Monterra
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. This is the first time I've heard of the 'Milepost' and it certainly seems to be a good investment.

Pulling the trailer out of storage next week and will be heading south for a month or so (skiing is coming to an end up here and the golf course is not open yet).

'10 2304 Mini Lite
'14 Honda Ridgeline
Monterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
The DW and I are talking about heading to Alaska next year. The plan is to head south from Ontario to TN and then west to CA (San Diego), head up the pacific highway and on to Anchorage. We will then head home to Ontario via Alberta and the northern states. Google maps pegs this at 17,000 km (say 20,000 km) and I expect it will take 4 - 5 months. Will depart in Apr and should be home by Sep.

I'm wondering what advice, if any, people have regarding add'l supplies, spare parts, etc. The tires are original and no checking evident. Should I bring a couple of spares on rims? We have Good Sam roadside assistance but have yet to assess its effectiveness.
This is on our bucket list to do when we retire in 2-ish years

X2 on your desire to caravan - I have not found a source, but I can't imagine that there is NOT a listserv somewhere for folks making the AlCan run. If you find a source (or those who have done the AlCan know of a list, let us know!

Another resource for you is a book I bought to start my research: Adventure Guide to the Alaska Highway by Ed & Lynn Readicker-Henderson (you can get it as a ePub in iBooks)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #15

Head smashed in buffalo jump is a great place to visit. It is located west of Fort Macleod in Canada.
dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #16

This is a copy of my post in another AK thread in case you missed it. I would also like to add a +1 for the Milepost book, worth every penny. Enjoy:

Did my "rent an RV" trip to AK back in 2002. Awesome scenery. Eventually, you will just stop taking pictures because around every bend is another beautiful view (plus back then digital cameras were in their early stages and the memory cards--remember those?--filled up quickly.)

If you find yourself going down the Kenai Penninsula toward Homer, Russian River Campground was very pretty and quiet. Also in Homer, you can actually camp on the beach (I don't recall what kind of hookups they had there, though.) If heading up toward Fairbanks and Denali--they have (had) some odd rules at Denali...they don't let you drive out the park road, unless you're camping at Teklanika CG (30 miles into the park,) but you have to stay there for 3 nights and you can't leave...so we didn't do that. Also, Exit Glacier was awesome--you could walk up to it and pick up pieces of glacial ice that had fallen off (which was also great for pouring Kentucky bourbon over later.)

As I did not drive up there but flew and rented, I can't help you with any AlCan or TOW recommendations. Oh, but don't drive up the Dalton highway. It sounds like a good idea until about 3 miles in when every dish in your cupboards is broken...

Have a great trip!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #17

Hi went to a rv show and John Holod was presenting his videos he made on RVing. He gives lots of information on places to go and how to get there and what not to do. Here is a resent post he sends to past purchasers.

HOLODJOHN@aol.com
To holodjohn@aol.com Today at 2:52 PM
Happy Spring!

I'm back from the road just in time for the “Spring has dung sprung” DVD sale! Now it's time for you to get out there! Prepare for the adventure of a lifetime!

See North America the beautiful and the best of what mother nature has to offer on these 10 travel adventure DVD’s. On sale for just $5.00 each in the Adventure Video Collection pack!

Explore Alaska, the Rocky Mountains, the entire East Coast, Gulf Coast and Route 66! Traveling by RV, car, motorcycle? Plan your next adventure using these helpful 90-minute DVD’s. Most include 45-minutes of extra footage and detailed maps. Find the best campgrounds, B&B’s, motels, restaurants, tours, fishing guides, wildlife viewing, museums and much more. Save time and money on your trip by planning “before” you leave home!

Normally $20.00 each. Now get entire 10-DVD collection for only $50.00!
Phone orders only. Sale ends April 30th. For more info go to RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions See video previews at the RV

John Holod
313-510-2350
holodjohn@aol.com

RV Adventure Videos Youtube Channel

Alaska: RV Adventure of a Lifetime Alaska RVing Alaska: What to Expect - How to Prepare Rocky Mountain One Rocky Mountain Two Gulf Coast Adventure
Natural Wonders of the NE Coast Natural Wonders of the SE Coast Eastern Canada RV AdventureRoute 66

RV Adventure Videos Youtube Channel

John Holod
125 Airport Avenue E.
Apt. 2
Venice FL 34285
RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions
cell 313-510-2350
holodjohn@aol.com
Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #18

My wife and I are leaving in a couple of weeks to tow our 2109s up the Alcan to Alaska. We have been planning for months, using the Milepost, Internet research and guidebooks. Overwhelming, but fun!! Our route will be north through Banff/Jasper to Whitehorse, circle through Skagway/Haines and back toward Whitehorse to take the Klondike route through Dawson City and into Alaksa via the TOW. After meandering all over Alaska, we will come back via the Cassier Highway, stopping in Stewart/Hyder, hopefully to see bears close-up from the viewing platform there. We will be gone 3 months, but still are challenged with the sights and activities that we need to leave out in order to limit the trip to 3 months. We'll just have to do it again!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #19
Berkshire 390QS

Usually mid Aug for the bears in Stewart-Hyder, we went in July and was too early.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #20

To see bears we took a float plane out of Homer into Clark National Park and spent the day walking a flat with a half dozen brown bears, that we saw, and one mother and cub, getting their fill of sedge grass between salmon runs. It was pricey, but pretty amazing. There are other flights that go to Brooks Falls when the salmon are running.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote