Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Oh which way do we go!

Ok we need some help from those that know. We are looking for a place to spend 7-10 days from Dec 26-Jan 3. There are 3 families with kids from 12-19 and we all live Atlanta. Our dilemma is do we go south/west for warmth or north for snow/ish. I mention the kids because most are boys that are very active hence get board after a day or two with just relaxing. Availability of different activities is a must. We are not really a snow skiing group but would do that for a couple of days. This will be our 1st attempt traveling together during the winter for we basically spend 3 months together during the summer as all of our boys play sports together and we have travelled together for extended vacations 10+ times. 10 hours is about the ceiling for travel from Atl and here in lies the problem. We don't want to spend the majority/half the time on the road for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated. All of us have TT ranging from 27' to 40'.
gatnfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fort wilderness at Disney is always a good option.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #3

May be too close to home, but Smokey Mtns Nat park may be good. Certainly plenty to do, Christmas lights are nice, chance of snow down low and almost guaranteed up higher. We did it a couple of yrs ago with 19 of us and it was a blast.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
May be too close to home, but Smokey Mtns Nat park may be good. Certainly plenty to do, Christmas lights are nice, chance of snow down low and almost guaranteed up higher. We did it a couple of yrs ago with 19 of us and it was a blast.
We are actually from Maryville TN originally and thought the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area was an option but we personally have not been there in about 15 years so. Where did you stay?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Fort wilderness at Disney is always a good option.
Yeah but might feel guilty going to Universal and staying at Disney. The boys would not be caught dead in Disney now. Well dead I would have to drag them then.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatnfans View Post
We are actually from Maryville TN originally and thought the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area was an option but we personally have not been there in about 15 years so. Where did you stay?
We just got back from the FROG rally in Pigeon Forge. Spent 8 days at Riverbend Campground and would highly recommend it. The owner, Rex, is a super nice guy.

Riverbend Campground
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Ok we need some help from those that know. We are looking for a place to spend 7-10 days from Dec 26-Jan 3. There are 3 families with kids from 12-19 and we all live Atlanta. Our dilemma is do we go south/west for warmth or north for snow/ish. I mention the kids because most are boys that are very active hence get board after a day or two with just relaxing. Availability of different activities is a must. We are not really a snow skiing group but would do that for a couple of days. This will be our 1st attempt traveling together during the winter for we basically spend 3 months together during the summer as all of our boys play sports together and we have travelled together for extended vacations 10+ times. 10 hours is about the ceiling for travel from Atl and here in lies the problem. We don't want to spend the majority/half the time on the road for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated. All of us have TT ranging from 27' to 40'.
Might not work for you this year as it clearly violates the 10 hour travel rule. But, you may want to consider a winter trip out west. We have snow skiing available (6 resorts) and within a four hour drive from there four National Parks with some of the countries most beautiful scenery you'd ever want to see. Might be worth thinking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3366.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	65877   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0235.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	65878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	65879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	65880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	65881  

Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Might not work for you this year as it clearly violates the 10 hour travel rule. But, you may want to consider a winter trip out west. We have snow skiing available (6 resorts) and within a four hour drive from there four National Parks with some of the countries most beautiful scenery you'd ever want to see. Might be worth thinking about
First off awesome pics.

Second of all "10 hour rule"???

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #9

Sorry Turbs, OP wanted to stay within 10 hours of home. "10 hours is about the ceiling for travel from Atl"
Thanks for compliment on the pics. We have a pretty unique situation here with the mountains and deserts so close. I just love playing in the "backyard" year round. Hopefully photos help others to decide this might be a pretty great place to visit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_7982.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	65882  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Sorry Turbs, OP wanted to stay within 10 hours of home. "10 hours is about the ceiling for travel from Atl"
Thanks for compliment on the pics. We have a pretty unique situation here with the mountains and deserts so close. I just love playing in the "backyard" year round. Hopefully photos help others to decide this might be a pretty great place to visit
You put 'backyard' in quotes, but is that what your backyard looks like? Wow! That is awe inspiring to say the least!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok going to utah.........

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
You put 'backyard' in quotes, but is that what your backyard looks like? Wow! That is awe inspiring to say the least!
Well, maybe a little poetic license but that's how some of us locals refer to it.
We're just darned lucky to have all that recreation opportunity so close. It would be a sin not to take advantage of it whenever possible!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_8287 (1).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	65883  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Well, maybe a little poetic license but that's how some of us locals refer to it.
We're just darned lucky to have all that recreation opportunity so close. It would be a sin not to take advantage of it whenever possible!
I wouldn't say you're taking much poetic license because that is truly poetic. God has two books, the holy bible and the book of His creation and the pictures you share truly show places where one can come to know Him better. Sorry if that is more 'religious' than desired but that is exactly what those pictures make me think of
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #14

Eagles nest, Twin Mountain are a couple open year round. It is very nice, but I think River bend closes for the winter so be sure to check that. Go to www.smokymountains-rv-campgrounds.com for a good listing of options.
Good luck.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
National Parks with some of the countries most beautiful scenery you'd ever want to see. Might be worth thinking about
With those pics the about is an understatement.

Thanks for the idea and yes that defiantly will be put on the agenda for next year.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
If you keep posting pics like that I may have to convince the wife to break ranks and go west. I believe that reference might be in a country song somewhere. Sorry about the regress, but all of us are definitely going west in the next couple of years for 3+ weeks. Now that the congress has shifted power it might be sooner than later.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #17

While not my favorite state, Utah may be the most beautiful state in the US with everything from beautiful Mountains to desert vistas.

We named one of our current dogs Bryce, after the national park that DW and I first visited together

With that said, we just got back from the Smokeys. We enjoyed the park and the campground we stayed in. (Up the Creek). It was our first full hook up trip and the farthest we had taken the trailer from home. I would be more than happy to go back.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
While not my favorite state, Utah may be the most beautiful state in the US with everything from beautiful Mountains to desert vistas.

We named one of our current dogs Bryce, after the national park that DW and I first visited together

With that said, we just got back from the Smokeys. We enjoyed the park and the campground we stayed in. (Up the Creek). It was our first full hook up trip and the farthest we had taken the trailer from home. I would be more than happy to go back.
I have been researching Smokeys and we might just head that way. Only a handful of parks open during that time frame. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #19

Quote:
If you keep posting pics like that I may have to convince the wife to break ranks and go west. I believe that reference might be in a country song somewhere. Sorry about the regress, but all of us are definitely going west in the next couple of years for 3+ weeks. Now that the congress has shifted power it might be sooner than later.
You just give us a shout when you plan to visit. Very likely we'll be planning our trips as well. Would be fun to see if we could meet up one place or another.
At the very least we'd be happy to make suggestions or answer questions.
Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DPP_3 (45).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	65901  
Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #20

Oh which way do we go!

There is an RV park in Sieverville, Tenn called River Plantation that is really nice. It is close to Gatlinburg and the city of Sieverville and Pigeon Forge. They can accommodate big rigs. However, I'm afraid it will be frigid in December.