Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Well it certainly has taken a while to get back to finish this story and there is a good reason for that. Our only night in Wisconsin we must have had a surge from lightning in a wicked storm and the processor in my computer was apparently cooked. The weather service said the storm came across from Minnesota so I figure it was just taking one final kick at me. Actually it was as much my fault as anything. First I didn't have it plugged into a surge protector and second I had gone to bed and left it turned on as I was waiting for an e-mail from the kids earlier and forgot I had it turned on. So I have had to get a new computer and get it set up. We were lucky that nothing else was damaged and the rest of the trip was quite enjoyable all be it a little stormy at times. The U.P. of Michigan was very scenic and the storms only added to the mystique of Lake Superior. Man that is one impressive body of water when the waves get building and the skies take on a dark foreboding colour. We finished with another three nights at the Sault Locks Campground were we watched a great number of freighters pass right by the campground. There was even one tug with a large barge that was down bound who had to return to the coast guard docks when he hit a motorboat that had stalled in front of him. We never did hear if anyone was hurt but I don't believe so or it should have been in the papers. From there we spent a night at a KOA near Detroit. The next day I purchased some new tires for my truck about $50 cheaper per tire than from my local dealer and then it was on to the duty free store for some liquid product (for a friend of course) and the duty free gas pumps. Why oh why don't they have duty free gas at every border crossing? No issues at the border. As a matter of fact the customs inspector was more interested in our trip than anything else but we didn't have anything illegal anyway. Nice smooth trip from there to home and some warm familiar faces. A few days later when we were discussing our trip we decided it was a shame we hadn't taken our grandson along because he is boat crazy. The next day we took him and his mom to Welland, which is only about a 2 1/2 hr. trip, to see the ships in the Welland Canal, which bypasses Niagara Falls. The first ship we saw when we got there was the Saguenay which was also the last downbound ship we saw before we left the Sault. So that's it for this trip. A trip I would highly recommend to anyone who has the time to do it and what the heck Minnesota wasn't that bad either. Old Guys

new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote