Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Site Team

Oldest Restaurant Per State

I ran across an interesting article on Yahoo earlier that supposedly lists the oldest restaurant per state. I thought this might interest fellow members in their travels across the nation.

I was particularly interested in Arkansas, as I have frequented that one several times, as my mom went to school near there when she was a child, as well as my oldest sister graduating from same school. When we go back to visit family and such, we try to get by and eat a burger. I can vouch that they have some real good biscuits and gravy.

Anyhow, might be a page you want to bookmark and maybe visit some of these pieces of American history in your RV'ing or traveling.

oldest restaurant by state

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

I've eaten at 2 of the restaurants mentioned in the article. King Fongs Chinese restaurant in downtown Omaha and The Golden Lamb in Lebanon, Ohio. I also ate at a restaurant in Ayer, MA that had been a eating establishment continuously for over 150 years but not run by the same family all that time. Another notable restaurant that goes back over 100 years is the White House restaurant in Chester, VA where they fixed meats on a large open hearth fireplace. That place was a brick house painted all white.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Director, FROG

I've been to four of them. Last year Cindy and I had lunch with FROGs Steve and Bev Powell at the Columbia in Ybor City when we were in Tampa for the RV Show. We sat at the table just to the left of the fountain in the photo.

We also ate at the Huston Tavern in Arrow Rock, MO several years ago on a Coachmen Owners' Association campout on our way to the Missouri State Rally, before attending a play at an old church now converted to the Arrow Rock Lyceum Theater. If you have a chance to visit Arrow Rock, I highly recommend it.

There was a two-hour wait at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, OH when we were there for the horse-drawn Christmas parade two years ago, so we just walked through but didn't eat. Lebanon's a quaint little town that hosted both daytime and nighttime horse drawn vehicle parades and has an amazing historical area.

Finally, on a business trip about five years ago a group of us at The Log Inn, just north of Evansville, IN. It's a terrific restaurant with a fascinating history.

Looks as if I still have some work to do.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #4

Oops add one more, I forgot the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. We ate there the night before going on a cruise, we decided we weren't into Cuban fare much. The food was nice but not great, but eating at a famous restaurant made up for it. Everyone said you MUST eat at the Columbia. Our meal at King Fongs was over 50 years ago. I will always remember that place because sat in a cubical with the curtain pulled (kind of romantic) and it seemed like the different menu items never stopped coming. Kind of funny they noted that finding a Chinese restaurant in the Midwest was not the normal fare. I grew up in the Omaha area (on the Iowa side) and naturally steak houses ran by Italians (in the little Italy village) and Greeks was the best choice. Many of the old Italian restaurant families have pretty much disappeared, Caniglias and Little Franks were my favorites. Those restaurants were started on the first floor or the living room of the family homes back then, I'm talking 50' and 60's. YUM YUM
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
... the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City...
If you're going to go to the original in Ybor, be sure to go on Friday or Saturday nights and reserve (way ahead of time) a table near where the Spanish dancers perform. The extra $6 is worth the show. Not something you see every day. I highly recommend the paella, better than what I got in Barcelona Spain.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #6

We've ate at Arkansas's great food ( blackberry pie) burgers and breakfast!! Scenic area to boot! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1418789345.154208.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	67627

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
I've been to four of them. Last year Cindy and I had lunch with FROGs Steve and Bev Powell at the Columbia in Ybor City when we were in Tampa for the RV Show. We sat at the table just to the left of the fountain in the photo.

We also ate at the Huston Tavern in Arrow Rock, MO several years ago on a Coachmen Owners' Association campout on our way to the Missouri State Rally, before attending a play at an old church now converted to the Arrow Rock Lyceum Theater. If you have a chance to visit Arrow Rock, I highly recommend it.

There was a two-hour wait at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, OH when we were there for the horse-drawn Christmas parade two years ago, so we just walked through but didn't eat. Lebanon's a quaint little town that hosted both daytime and nighttime horse drawn vehicle parades and has an amazing historical area.

Finally, on a business trip about five years ago a group of us at The Log Inn, just north of Evansville, IN. It's a terrific restaurant with a fascinating history.

Looks as if I still have some work to do.
Williams Tavern in Arkansas is set in Old Washington Historic State Park. Old Washington was the first State Capital
in Arkansas. We eat there often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I ran across an interesting article on Yahoo earlier that supposedly lists the oldest restaurant per state. I thought this might interest fellow members in their travels across the nation.

I was particularly interested in Arkansas, as I have frequented that one several times, as my mom went to school near there when she was a child, as well as my oldest sister graduating from same school. When we go back to visit family and such, we try to get by and eat a burger. I can vouch that they have some real good biscuits and gravy.

Anyhow, might be a page you want to bookmark and maybe visit some of these pieces of American history in your RV'ing or traveling.

oldest restaurant by state
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

I've eaten at the Red Circle Inn, Nashotah, WI several times. Great food!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote