Old 07-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Our 7week 7019 mile trip

Good Day to Everyone on the road or sitting at home wishing!

Mike the DH, Babe the dog and I started our marvelous adventure on May 1, 2016 driving a 2005 Ford F350 dually towing our Forest River Freedom Express 2016, 276RKDS.

Three years prior the DH and I began to talk about and look for a TT. We went to all the camper places close to us, visited the RV shows in the area and talked with people. I read and researched online all the pro and cons. We looked and looked until one day at Country Roads RV Center ( the DH came excitedly running to me that he had found the "ONE"! I walked in being attentive to all I was seeing. Slowly as I toured this little 27Ft. camper, opening and closing all the cabinets, sticking my head in all the nooks and crannies, checking off my wish list as I went I knew this was the one for us. Each person has their own wants and needs and this was ours. We left and came home to talk and think it over. The next day it was a done deal!

We brought the beauty home and began the process of stocking and doing our upgrades. First on our list was to lose the mattress and replace with a real one. That was one of the best and most worthwhile decisions we made. So when we were all outfitted we began to plan our big trip.

At 7:34am on that Sunday morning we pulled out from Linwood, NC headed to Olive Hill, Ky, Carter Caves State Park. We arrived that afternoon to find a very nice, clean camp site. If you like caves I would recommend this park and all it has to offer. On Monday we toured Cascade cave and were very pleased with the tour guide and all we learned.

Tuesday, May 3 we traveled to Graham Cave State Park, Montgomery, Ms to overnight. Older park with only elec at site, narrow road in with a steep incline, poor signage but clean, quiet.

Wed, May 4, saw us in Abilene, Ks at the RV Acres. Again just an overnite stop with no frills or thrills. Camp store was clean and neat. Park had mostly campers that were set up permanently.

May 5 thru May 9 saw us in Woodland Park, Co at the Bristlecone RV Park.
Park is a little confusing to get into and space is tight but we had a pull thru. People were friendly and everything was super clean. Spent our time there visiting Manitou, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, the Cliff Dwellings and just in general soaking up the wonderful area. Would go here again and as it is only 77 degress there today and 90 here it might be sooner rather than later!

Aspen, Co for the 10th and 11th, at Aspen Basalt Campground. Disappointed in this campground. Site was not mowed and everything looked to be run down and not kept up. Believe it has been sold and is in process of being upgraded. If you are in this area use the bus system to ride into Aspen as parking is very scarce. Bus was nice and allows you to view the scenery. We visited as the DH had worked in Aspen in the early 80's with the ski patrol and he wanted to see the sites again. Most of the business in Aspen were closed while we were there as it was the off season. Window shopping was nice and I knew too expensive for my pocketbook so it was fine that they were closed. Ate lunch at the "Red Onjon" in downtown Aspen. Nothing to write home about. Probably could have had the same sandwich cheaper somewhere else but then again how many times does one eat in Aspen?

Left Aspen headed to Moab, Utah on I 70. Believe the signs about no fuel for along time. They are not lying to you. First station when you turn off I 70 to Moab had gas for $4.99 a gallon. The 12th saw us in Moab, Utah at the Moab Rim Campground. Noticed along the way that all the campgrounds had signs no space available. When we checked in found out they were having an ATV/UTV and Willis rally during the time we were there. Everything was busy but parking in town was available and people were polite and helpful. Campground was full but clean, quiet and peaceful. Our neighbor told us to drive the Kane Creek Road and boy did he give us good advice. Beauty beyond belief. Went to the Arches National Park but in my opinion Kane Creek Road was much more appealing to me. This area is a must go back for me and the next time I am going to rent one of those ATV/UTVs and have a fabulous time!

Grand Canyon here we come on the 15th. What can you say about the Grand Canyon? It is a must see. Words and pictures can not begin to show or tell you how majestic it is. Stayed at the Ten X Campground. Older park with no hook ups. Again if you are going you must get reservations a year or more in advance to get a site with hook ups.

On the 18th we traveled to Las Vegas and the Las Vegas RV Park. I would recommend this park to anyone going to Vegas. Extremely clean, convenient and safety was a big issue with them. Loved Fremont St but the new strip left me blah. I've been there and done that and have no need to go back.

Standing on the corner in Winslow, Az and what a fine sight to see! I finally got to see the Metor Crator on May the 22. A child hood dream fulfilled. Imagine a rock fell from the sky and made a hole so big that you can fit 20 football fields in it! Homolove State Park is in the desert, flat, wind blew all the time and you have to watch out for the snakes, spiders and scorpions.

Albuquerque and Santa Fa, NM here we come for the 23 thru 26. Visited Old Town and the sights in Santa Fa. Spent time with family laughing, talking and revisiting old times. The Albuquerque Central KOA was our site for the time we where here. Clean well kept up. Laundry was extra nice with multiple washers and dryers.

Never heard of the "Big Texan" in Amarillo but after hearing so many different people talk about it we had dinner there on the 26th. Overnite RV park is an older basic place to pull in for the night. They knew we had a dog so they gave us a site with a private fenced in dog yard.

From the 27th until the 30th we were in Denton and DeKalb Tx visiting friends. Had lots of good food, drink, laughter and talk.The 31 saw us North of Houston to spend the night and visit a friend.

June the 1st thru the 5th Pearland, Tx was our parking spot at our son and daughter-in-laws house. Now Pearland is south of Houston and all I can say for Houston is you better plan your trip well. It is confusion to go around the by pass as you need a toll sticker. Do your research on this one and plan ahead. If you are visiting someone that lives in the area they can add you to their pass for the time you are there.

For the 5th till the 17th of June we were in Leesville La with family. Ate way too much good food. Again the talking, visiting and laughter was plentiful.

Got back to the stick home on the 18th. Were we glad to be home? Not really as we had been home. Our TT is our home and it may become our only home in the near future. Time will tell. There is lots to see and do in this great USofA and we want to do it!!

I trust that your travels are as good as this one was. We had a wonderful time and for us it was the right pace and time.

Be safe and travel well!
Cathy, Mike and Babe

Mike, Cathy and dog Babe
2016 Freedom Express 276RKDS
2005 Ford F 350 Dually 4x4 Crew Cab
173rd Airborne Vietnam Vet 68/69
SHOKOPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Sounds like a nice time!

What was the actual name of the RV park you stayed at in Las Vegas? I googled "Las Vegas RV Park" and couldn't find anything with that specific name.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Las Vegas Oasis RV Resort, I'm guessing.

And what a great report! WOW! Thank you so much.
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
I loved reading your report and I will definitely keep the Kane Creek Road on our radar for next year.
I can see why you like the 276RKDS, it looks like a great floorplan. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
Mtelkman, info I have says Las Vegas RV Resort ( 3890 South Nellis Blvd., 866-846-5432. I found them online and got a great price. Maybe $25.00 a day.

Mike, Cathy and dog Babe
Old 07-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Just a great review of your wonderful trip. I'd be jealous except we're in a beautiful Northern Ontario Provincial Park for the week. So nice to read of folks (like us) who are pleased with their rv.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Thanks, Cathy. Looking forward to visiting some of those sites and appreciate the quality information.
moff34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Thanks for the good info. DH and I are planning a 6-8 week trip from Michigan to "The West" next summer. Still working out the details.
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Just a great review of your wonderful trip. I'd be jealous except we're in a beautiful Northern Ontario Provincial Park for the week. So nice to read of folks (like us) who are pleased with their rv.
I have a sense most people are happy with thier RVs and it's just that on here we get so used to people complaining that it seems the world hates thier RV. We have owned 4 over the years and can't say we were unhappy or had major problems with any of them. A little PM and common sense goes a long way.😊
Floyd & Carolyn
2012 F150 S/crew 4X4 6.2L 6Spd Tow Max Firestone airbags.
2011 28RKS Wildcat. Yamaha 3000iseb Generator.
2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights +14300KM
2016. 63 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for reading and responding. I look forward to hearing about all of your travels.

Mike, Cathy and dog Babe