Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Over summering in Texas

Getting ready to leave our 5th wheel in Texas near the gulf. Understand it is going to get mighty warm in the rv for the next 6 months where we will leave it parked.

Has anyone done this before and have any thoughts on what to may be ok to leave in extreme heat, or better yet not leave?

Happy traveling!
jerryadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryadair View Post
Getting ready to leave our 5th wheel in Texas near the gulf. Understand it is going to get mighty warm in the rv for the next 6 months where we will leave it parked.

Has anyone done this before and have any thoughts on what to may be ok to leave in extreme heat, or better yet not leave?

Happy traveling!
If you have access to electricity get a 30 qt dumidfier and set it is the shower with the gray drain open if you can and let it run. Set it to 55 % humidity. Mines is in MA for 8 months with no Electric so I just leave the roof vents open with maxairs on them and let it breathe.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #3

How "close to the gulf"?
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
How "close to the gulf"?
That's a legitimate question for two reasons:

1. That part of the gulf is saltier than a jar of pickles and the wind always blows across it during the summer. If you are close enough to see, hear, smell or walk to the water you will have corrosion problems.

2. Remember Harvey?
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:31 AM   #5

No electric. We will be placing pans of charcoal in the rv to absorb moisture. Then if can dry it out this fall we can use it for cooking.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #6

Looks like about 18 miles.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #7

Where we stay in Port Isabel is right off the Intercostal. Lots of salt, everyday. First concern is what we can leave behind and what is going to like the high temperatures that will assult our rv daily .
Quite a number of rv'ers have done it for year's with Rv's and boats at this location.
Severe weather could be a potential.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

To leave behind? As little as possible. I think your best advice would come from the people who have done it for years at that location.

We live west of Houston and people who use their tt and mh tend to keep them under a hard cover to protect from the blistering sun and pounding rains in the summer. We tried storing our tt in the rv park for a few months and were not happy with the deterioration from the weather. It's now in enclosed storage.

If you have not lived through southeast Texas summer..... well, that's why we're reverse_snowbirds and go north for the summer.
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #9

You can also get buckets of damp rid. It will absorb moisture from the air. Take out any candles, crayons, or similar type items that will melt. Take out all of the food. Other inanimate objects should be fine. The salt air is another matter, especially with your exterior.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
To leave behind? As little as possible. I think your best advice would come from the people who have done it for years at that location.

We live west of Houston and people who use their tt and mh tend to keep them under a hard cover to protect from the blistering sun and pounding rains in the summer. We tried storing our tt in the rv park for a few months and were not happy with the deterioration from the weather. It's now in enclosed storage.

If you have not lived through southeast Texas summer..... well, that's why we're reverse_snowbirds and go north for the summer.
Nope... Sunbirds.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:

Happy traveling!
Lots of good ideas in this thread. Don't forget to defend against the effects of uV from the sun. Either a fresh coat of wax with uV protection, a cover that provides uV protection, or an enclosed 'garage'. Also be aware of the effects of heavy winds on a cover.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Where we stay in Port Isabel is right off the Intercostal. Lots of salt, everyday. First concern is what we can leave behind and what is going to like the high temperatures that will assult our rv daily .
Quite a number of rv'ers have done it for year's with Rv's and boats at this location.
Severe weather could be a potential.
We live full time in Brownsville. Temperature isn't the problem here . It is cooler here than further north, and P.I. is cooler than us. Humidity is the problem, and in P.I., corrosion. My parents lived in P. I. for 30 years. Fighting corrosion was a never ending job. And, be prepared for the occasional hurricane (about one in 30 years). But if you happen to experience one, DUCK.. THEY can be deadly. We completely missed Harvey last year, but they were devastated up the coast in the
Port Aransas and Rockport areas. Good luck.. I have traveled all 50 states (full-timed for 14 years), plus all of Canada, plus half of Mexico, and I wouldn't live anywhere else.
rchbih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchbih View Post
We live full time in Brownsville. Temperature isn't the problem here . It is cooler here than further north, and P.I. is cooler than us.
Yep that humidity in Brownsville is higher than McAllen. I lived there for 9 years and now in Rio Hondo and the climate is about the same.

Don't leave your white clothes and linens, they yellow out. Or at least that is what my mom told me while they were Winter Texans. I would make sure that you have insurance on your rig that covers wind damage (just in case a hurricane does hit) and cover the contents as well. If you have a grill and such you may want to take that home with you as well. That type of stuff will rust out in no time. I quit buying the nice big grills after they would rust out in a couple of years and stay with the little portable ones. Even in storage that salt air gets into everything.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote