Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Texas

God's Country

Click image for larger version

Name:	PDC01.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1976
Looking into the canyon

Name:	PDC Goodnight_dug out.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1977
Replica of Charles Goodnight's dugout

Name:	PDCLHT01.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1979
On the trail to the Light House

Name:	PDCLHT03.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1978
The PDC Light House
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #2

The pics don't show up for me... Just me?
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #3

great pics! We've been through the Amarillo area bunches of times, but never took time to see the canyon. We'll have to plan on it now.
nestorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #4

Nice pics Aintgotnun. Looks warm which would be real nice right now as it's 45 degrees outside and cloudy here in the Nortwest. Wished I was down there, looks like some really cool stuff to explore...

Thanks for the pics.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

great pics

did you see the musical TEXAS while you were there?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
The pics don't show up for me... Just me?
Must be just you. What browser are you using? I know sometimes when I use Chrome embeded pics don't show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorg View Post
great pics! We've been through the Amarillo area bunches of times, but never took time to see the canyon. We'll have to plan on it now.
It is a MUST see IMO. Our 3rd trip out there and something new each time. We also went on a guided horseback tour at a little place Palo Duro Riding Stables just outside the park. Really nice folks that have been providing horseback tours for 51 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Nice pics Aintgotnun. Looks warm which would be real nice right now as it's 45 degrees outside and cloudy here in the Nortwest. Wished I was down there, looks like some really cool stuff to explore...

Thanks for the pics.
Lows were around 24 in the morning and mid to upper 50s in the afternoon except for Thanksgiving day which made it to 65. When we left Saturday morning and it was around 33 and rising for the day. Yesterday, Sunday, I looked online and it was 32 and snowing. We lucked out with the weather. No way I'd want to have to pull my rig up the 10% grade with switchbacks to get out with white stuff on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
great pics

did you see the musical TEXAS while you were there?
The musical runs from June through September as most of the actors are local college kids from West Texas A&M in Canyon. We have seen it the other 2 times we've been there.

Another really great attraction while in the area is the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon. They have a bit of everything there, dino fossils, oil drilling equipment, windmills (even a 30 footer), old cars, and THE nicest and largest collection of antique firearms I have EVER seen.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

Palo Duro was the first SP we visited when we lived in Lubbock and moved up from a tent to a popup (new 1991 Coleman Roanoke). What a treat. We have plans for a vacation up that way next summer. Can't wait to go visit again.

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #8

we couldn't twist yer arm into a campground real world review could we
the 10% grade i didn't know about, were there many big rigs rolling in to visit?
every time we go through Amarillo (which reminds me of a song from a few years ago...I am wrong or am I rillo...) i see the signs, its a must on list if we ever slow down again.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
we couldn't twist yer arm into a campground real world review could we
uhhhhhh............. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... I'm not sure I have any. I'll have a look see when I get home this afternoon. There are 3 RV campgrounds in the park. 2 with 50/30 amp service and 1 30 amp service. I would reccomend the Mesquite camp area 50/30 amp service as it has the best views and is towards the rear of the park (less traffic)

Quote:
the 10% grade i didn't know about, were there many big rigs rolling in to visit?
Lot's of big rigs. Huge pushers, 37 ft tag alongs, huge 5'rs..... Just put'er in low and go slow down and the road and be prepared for oncomming traffic in your lane (even small cars for some reason). The speed limit is 15mph on the down/uphill and twisties. I wouldn't recommend a small truck with a big trailer combo but as long as you have a good 20% of weight margin you should be good to go. There were a few combos I saw that would have scared the bojangles outa me if I was driving them down that road.