Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #1

Passport America

Thinking about joining Passport America or something similar. Are they worth the cost for the average camper? I'm sure they're are a lot of variables. Just looking for opinions from those who have tried them.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

We're wondering the same...would like input.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

Most of the passport CG's are good for overnight stops. You may run across a really nice one on occasion. ...we use them all the time for overnight stops

Hope that helps

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

Absolutely worthwhile especially if you plan to travel and need to make shorter stops along the way. We "paid off" our membership the first week we were out and have since gotten great deals and values. I will be enthusiastically renewing.
Now...going in...you need to be aware that while all participating parks offer 50% off
1. Many restrict the season OR weekend use.
2. Many are less than great parks...DO YOUR Homework using campgroundreviews.com before you book a place solely on price.
3. Many limit your stay to 2-4 days OR don't allow advance reservations or require cash payments. Don't expect to stay somewhere for a week or a month at that 50 off rate BUT you sometimes can get an extended lesser discount 10=>25% if you want to extend your stay and they have room.
Check our the passportamerica.com site and look at the map of campgrounds in the areas you will be camping...click on em' & check out the whole deal and read some reviews. We saved at least 400-500 bucks over the last nine months...not all were great...but all served a purpose and there wasn't one place we regretted staying.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your input on this. I guess for $44 a year, it's hard to go wrong.

hatchet
Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
Most of the passport CG's are good for overnight stops. You may run across a really nice one on occasion. ...we use them all the time for overnight stops

Hope that helps
We are in this corner! If you travel PA is a LOT better than a WalMart! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

I much prefer my membership with travel resorts of America and coast deluxe. But that is us
mikenmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATCHET19 View Post
Thinking about joining Passport America or something similar. Are they worth the cost for the average camper? I'm sure they're are a lot of variables. Just looking for opinions from those who have tried them.

hatchet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB View Post
We're wondering the same...would like input.
We tried PA one year - I think then the annual rate was $40/year. We made our money back the first 3 nights camping!

We were so impressed, we bought a lifetime membership.

You can try a year membership and see if it is for you - the cool thing about PA is @ 6-ish months into your yearly membership they will email you a offer to go lifetime AND they will deduct the year membership off of your lifetime membership! Better yet, if you opt out of their printed directory they will knock off another $10 or so bucks.

BTW, there is a app for that - PA App for iPhone/iPad & I am sure droid as well
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Mike/marge....I was unaware of Coast to Coast...looks interesting...can you provide any details as the website is sketchy on costs for home park memberships.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmarg View Post
I much prefer my membership with travel resorts of America and coast deluxe. But that is us
We bought a membership in a "home resort" to get a Coast to Coast membership and now the resort and Coast to Coast have parted ways and we lost our membership in Coast to Coast and are stuck with a resort membership.

We use Pass Port America mostly for overnight stays and that's what many of them are limited to. For that the membership pays for itself pretty quickly.

We've been using their mail forwarding service for years and its great.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmarg View Post
These are at a completely different level than Passport America.

If you have a lot of free time, perhaps work out of your RV, or are retired & mostly-time or full-time, these are GREAT programs.

Here's a tip though: if you get one of these memberships (and there are @ 15 or so "resort" RV clubs out there) do your research and once you decide, check out:
campgroundmembershipoutlet.com: Home

For better than retail rates on Resort memberships
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
DDC

We've had our PA membership for years and just renewed and got an extra 6 months added, we always make our money back and then some, well worth the value in my opinion.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

We use Passport America as well for mostly over night stays. We have stayed at all sorts of conditions of the parks but mostly all were ok. We will continue to use passport America in our travels. We have no complaints and have saved money.
Enjoy your travels.
Dover, DE
Kenny-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #14

Thanks again for all the reply's. There is a wealth of knowledge here....and opinions too.

hatchet
Old 03-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Mike/marge....I was unaware of Coast to Coast...looks interesting...can you provide any details as the website is sketchy on costs for home park memberships.

I think it depends on the member resort. Travel resorts of America has 6 member resorts. They have several "levels" of membership. My wife and I did the platinum plus which suits our needs perfectly. We have a lot of coast deluxe sites in Ohio and the surrounding states. So we can camp and still go to work from the campground, then go back and camp. It allows us to camp about 10 weeks a year.
mikenmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
Site Team

The site team has removed several off-topic posts and the responses to them. Please keep this thread on topic, which is about Passport America.

Thank You

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The site team has removed several off-topic posts and the responses to them. Please keep this thread on topic, which is about Passport America.

Thank You
WmTire...I have no idea what you deleted & don't want to post "off topic" myself...but the original post asks for comments about PA and/or "something similar". May I assume that anything to do with camping discount memberships +/- is "on topic" ???
Tks for any clarification.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
May I assume that anything to do with camping discount memberships +/- is "on topic" ???
Tks for any clarification.
That is correct.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #19

For those of you that use Passport America, I've been a KOA member for 2 years. I'm glad this discussion opened up because I have never heard of PA until now. Does anyone in the forums have memberships with both? PA has a lot of nice looking campgrounds. And the prices are a bit more reasonable than KOA's
Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
For those of you that use Passport America, I've been a KOA member for 2 years. I'm glad this discussion opened up because I have never heard of PA until now. Does anyone in the forums have memberships with both? PA has a lot of nice looking campgrounds. And the prices are a bit more reasonable than KOA's
We had both - well until last year when we dropped KOA and got our Lifetime PA membership

KOA without a doubt will have a consistently better campground than *some* PA CGs. OTOH, some PA CGs blow most KOAs out of the water.

IMO, PA is a better value - you really can make back the cost of your membership in one camping trip!

Tags
sport