Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Pensacola campground suggestions

This years trip is done and we are looking forward to next summer. We will have 3-5 kids with us (9,13,15,16,20) and maybe the small dog. This will be a week long trip and we want beach access from the campground with a swimming area.
I will consider a resort but would prefer a State or Federal park if available.

So who has been in the area and can start the suggestion line since I am sure I need to reserve soon.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
This years trip is done and we are looking forward to next summer. We will have 3-5 kids with us (9,13,15,16,20) and maybe the small dog. This will be a week long trip and we want beach access from the campground with a swimming area.
I will consider a resort but would prefer a State or Federal park if available.

So who has been in the area and can start the suggestion line since I am sure I need to reserve soon.
Fort Pickens Campground, you get a 50% discount with the Fed. Senior card, but yall are probably too young for that, no sewer, but water, elect. and dump station and of course bath houses,.... recreation.gov ...... but this may be too early for next year, I think rec.gov only allows a 6 month window, so you may have to wait, but it won't hurt to check and see if that's the case,.....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

We've been to Pensacola RV Resort which is nice but would not recommend for your family b/c across busy highway from beach also very expensive. A little further west (maybe 70-90 miles) just west of Destin are 2 state parks that we have stayed at several times - Top Sail and Grayton Beach. Both have gorgeous beaches. Top Sail has all full hookups, is larger (maybe 200 sites but with lots of green space) has a pool, more shade, and more room for the kids to ride bikes. Only con is you have to take tram, or bike to beach access. Grayton beach access is a little more convenient (you can drive right up) but only 50 sites and only the older section of 30 sites has shade and only the new section has full hookups. You can book up to 11 months in advance.
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

Highly recommend Big Lagoon State Park in Pensecola.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDebbie View Post
We've been to Pensacola RV Resort which is nice but would not recommend for your family b/c across busy highway from beach also very expensive. A little further west (maybe 70-90 miles) just west of Destin are 2 state parks that we have stayed at several times - Top Sail and Grayton Beach. Both have gorgeous beaches. Top Sail has all full hookups, is larger (maybe 200 sites but with lots of green space) has a pool, more shade, and more room for the kids to ride bikes. Only con is you have to take tram, or bike to beach access. Grayton beach access is a little more convenient (you can drive right up) but only 50 sites and only the older section of 30 sites has shade and only the new section has full hookups. You can book up to 11 months in advance.
X2.. Topsail is a state park but really a resort. One of the nicer state parks in Florida and very hard to get in to. You say Pensacola, not much there besides Ft. Pickens and we have camped there a couple of times. Not much for the kids to do but go to beach. Quite a ways back in to the "Tourist Area". Any particular reason for Pensacola?

I see you are coming from Idaho and I guess you know this area is referred to as the "Redneck Rivera" and really gets crowded in the summer. There are many nice places up and down the coast from Pensacola. I would suggest you download the Rvparky app. ( Rvparky.com ). It is free and you can look at every campground from Alabama to east Florida along the Rivera, plus anywhere else in the U.S.... Really nice free app...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #6

Oh sorry my mistake on my previous reply - top sail and grayton are EAST of Pensacola.
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg