Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
RAC

Exclamation Places in Virginia, NC or WV

Could someone please point me to some good trailer sites in any of these states? Thank you!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #2

Their is a link on the home page of FRF, bottom right hand corner
that provides campground reviews for most all states.
Also you can try the Woodalls' campground directory published
each year. KOA puts out a guide each year you could pick up or
have mailed to your home from any of their campground locations.
Other directories out their also. Good luck.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
RAC

Thank you!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINA View Post
Their is a link on the home page of FRF, bottom right hand corner
that provides campground reviews for most all states.
Also you can try the Woodalls' campground directory published
each year. KOA puts out a guide each year you could pick up or
have mailed to your home from any of their campground locations.
Other directories out their also. Good luck.

Nina
Thank you Nina
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I'm from Charlottesville and have camped at many places in the area you are interested in. I might be able to help if you would be a bit more specific about how long you wish to be away from home, what kind of activities/venues you are looking for, size of trailer. It seems you want to stay within a certain number of hours of Richmond - how many?

PS Don't forget these. http://www.military.com/Travel/Conte...rounds,00.html

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I'm from Charlottesville and have camped at many places in the area you are interested in. I might be able to help if you would be a bit more specific about how long you wish to be away from home, what kind of activities/venues you are looking for, size of trailer. It seems you want to stay within a certain number of hours of Richmond - how many?

PS Don't forget these. http://www.military.com/Travel/Conte...rounds,00.html
We live in Richmond. We like camping around lakes, because of the jet ski and our love of fishing as well. Ideally a site would be pull through, electric/sewer/water, 50 amp, any other amenities like TV/phone would be ok.......perhaps a pool, and definitely boat access to the water. As far as area.....doesn't matter. Love to travel, and I have tons a vacation saved up. don't even mind the 200 mile weekend jaunts.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Strangely, the closest place that I believe would meet your criteria is right in your own backyard. http://www.edallens.com/ Haven't been there for years but it is so close to you that it would be no problem to drive down and eyeball the place. Also, try looking for a campground on Smith Mountain Lake.

You might also want to check out Cherrystone, over one the Eastern Shore via Norfolk and the Bay Bridge Tunnel. (salt water, but good fishing and pool. It's on the bay and I think it has a launch ramp. http://www.cherrystoneva.com/
Some of the other campgrounds over that way should also meet your needs.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #8

In Wv

There is summersville lake it has most all you are looking for. Here is the website. http://www.mountainlakecampground.com/ you have to have all the up to date shots and paperwork for your dogs. I beleive you want to be in area 2 which is closest to the lake. Slight jaunt down the hill to the lake about 150 yds. but everyone that camps there just ties there boats and jet ski's up to trees just below the campground. The state run campground doesn't allow animals but this one does again with paperwork. I do some work at rock quarries in the richmond area so with pulling a camper I would allow about 6hrs for the trip.
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
AKA Bluebird

Almost forgot this one: http://www.kiz.com/campnet/html/zp/va/0536/0536.htm

Shame on me

Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
RAC

Very cool suggestions, guys. I have fished at Ed Allen's. It is called "Waller Mill Pond"......electric motors only, would think my ski might piss em off. That sounds like a great place Steve......I appreciate the info. Haven't thought about the bay yet Dimurrw....but that does start me thinking (ut ohhh)
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #11

Smith Mountain Lake State Park is right on the lake and has a boat landing for all kinds of boats. Only problem with SML is that it gets crowded on weekends all over the lake. If you can get there during the week, you would have it all to yourself.

Link to Smith Mountain Lake State Park website:

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/smi.shtml

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
AKA Bluebird

Maybe things have changed over the years, but you may want to check out Ed Allen's a little bit more. A phone call should suffice. It sort of sticks in my mind that he has two venues. The one I am talking about is the one associated with the link I posted, and is located on Chickahominy Lake. The last time I was there, some years ago, I rented one of their jon boats with a six HP motor. Notice in the picture of the restaurant, under amenities, what appear to be boats (with outboards) pulled up on shore.

Also suggest you Google "Buggs Island". (Kerr Reservoir) Good fishing and I suspect powerboats are allowed.

FWIW - the Eastern Shore campgrounds tend to be a bit on the pricey side.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Maybe things have changed over the years, but you may want to check out Ed Allen's a little bit more. A phone call should suffice. It sort of sticks in my mind that he has two venues. The one I am talking about is the one associated with the link I posted, and is located on Chickahominy Lake. The last time I was there, some years ago, I rented one of their jon boats with a six HP motor. Notice in the picture of the restaurant, under amenities, what appear to be boats (with outboards) pulled up on shore.

Also suggest you Google "Buggs Island". (Kerr Reservoir) Good fishing and I suspect powerboats are allowed.

FWIW - the Eastern Shore campgrounds tend to be a bit on the pricey side.

yeah they have a place on the Chick as well......it's pretty close to where I live now, and Jetskis would essentially need to lock through to the river and then get into the james. We go to Lake Gaston a lot, so Buggs Island is right around the corner....I don't mind pricey, you actually gave me a few ideas about maybe heading out that way for a fall trip.