Old 11-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #41
Thumbs up 8000 mile trip

What a shame that you are leaving out British Columbia; Canada's most beautiful province. Scenery along the Pacific Coast is truly spectacular!!
I'll bet that you didn't know that mile 0 of Hwy 101 starts in Lund, B.C. (north of Powell River) and runs all the way to Argentina.
Have a great trip!!
Marshall and Tania
2013 Grey Wolf Select with 16" wheels
2012 Ford F250 Lariet Super Duty 4X4
Nights camped in 2015 = 36

biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #42
We just did 9360 miles, 53 days and 18 states on the road. From S. KY. up through OH and MI. Then along RT 2 through WI, MN, ND, MT. We had a beautiful place to camp very close to the entrance of Glacier. West Glacier KOA. It is a beautiful place with great campsites. BUT I think when we were there they were getting ready to close. I think you may be in for some trouble that far North this time of year. We were there in the middle of Sept and lots of places were already closed after labor day. Also some roads will be closed because of SNOW. Those higher elevations will have lots of snow. So if you make it up there be very careful and listen to the weather. Have fun!

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #43
Town of Bernalillo - Coronado Campground 20 - $22 a night, hook ups with a dump station... north east of Albuquerque, can see those mountains from the park, they do take reservations, could hear coyotes at night, right on the Rio Grande River.
Any camping around Yellowstone and or most national parks... get reservations as soon as allowed by the (stupid, my opioion) reservation system, what I mean is be online ready with they dates you want (I believe 180 days out) check for each campground. Also any changes to the reservation will cost you $9 or $10 each time you change, so have your dates set. Sorry!

Bridger-Teton has a lot of first come first serve campgrounds. some with hook ups some not...

I lived 72 miles from South Lake Tahoe, not too touristy... it's just so beautiful... California State Parks... pricey but on the west side of the lake.

Have fun... good luck... safe travels...

Carlene aka Waianaegal
waianaegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #44
We've sen 49 states and have never exceeded 320 miles in one day. Our general rule is 3 days travel the 2 or 3 days (relatively) stable seeing the local sights and/or shopping/restocking. Some of our best experiences have been by coincedince---not design or plan.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #45
Sorry, Bridger - Teton is around the Jackson Hole Wyoming area... just so beautiful.... So you can look at Bridger Teton National Forest for camping in the area... Good Luck
waianaegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #46
We just completed a 7 wk, 3600 mile trip to Bar Harbor and then worked our way back down through Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, PA, and Virginia on our way back home. Our plans were to drive (we have a MH & toad) 3 1/2 - 4 hours per day, however we ran into heavy rain a couple of days and heavy traffic, which turned some of our 3 1/2 - 4 hour drives into 5 - 6 hour drives. We always pulled into the overnight campgrounds in daylight so hooking up wasn't an issue. But, because of the long drive, we were tired.

One suggestion, and I don't know if you'll have the freezer space or not, but 3-4 weeks before our departure date, we started "doubling up" on whatever we fixed for dinner at home and placed the leftovers in the metal tins with lids we picked up at the Dollar Tree. We labeled each one along with the reheating time and as soon as DH plugged in the power, dinner went into the convection oven. Usually within 20-30 mins, dinner was on the table. DH didn't have to get the grill out to cook outside. We would simply place the frozen tin in the sink (or perhaps the fridge, depending on what we were having), the morning we left for the next location and it was thawed by time we arrived. Worked out very well for us.

Some items that freeze (& reheat very well) is leftover pot roast with veggies, chicken and rice, chicken enchalidas, pork roast that has been shredded and made into bar-b-que, country style steak w/gravy, and a turkey breast in gravy. We simply added a salad or couple of sides and dinner was ready in a flash. Don't forget to try the Bob Evans family size sides that heat in the microwave. Their mashed potatoes (any flavor) and Mac 'n Cheese are outstanding.

And last, but certainly not least, don't forget to take lots and lots of pics and get a selfie stick. I know it sounds silly but we used it (there were 4 of us) many, many times on our trip in front of the various places we stopped - and your pic will be in there with the rest of the family as well. Download the Shutterfly Photo Story app on your phone and every night, upload your photos of that day and start placing them into your "album". Your last stop for the night before you head home, place the last of your pics into the album and send it off to Shutterfly. Within about a week to 10 days, your album will arrive and you can continue to relive your "epic journey" for many years to come.

Enjoy your trip, travel safe, and don't forget to "stop & smell the roses" along the way.
Sloopie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #47
This last summer I went from Myrtle Beach to Alaska pulling a travel trailer. 16k miles total, 11k pulling the TT.

I wanted to make reservations in advance. Definitely at Fishing Bridge, Colter Bay and Rafter J. After that I would make reservations two to three days in advance. Some CG's don't offer a refund if you're a day or two late. Some require a two or three day advance cancelation notice. WiFi and cell phone service can be good to non-existent.

Delays due to weather, traffic, roads under repair, mechanical breakdowns and someone getting sick should be anticipated. I occasionally had a 300+ travel day, but would take a day or two to rest. Sightseeing in the rain or fog sucks. You don't see much when the sun goes down. (Alaskan sunlight was 20+ hours during the summer. )

Once you get to a sightseeing stop, parking can be another delay. Finding somewhere to eat with a 5ver attached can be another problem. A picnic lunch in a rest stop will save both time and $$.

Going westward you "gain" an hour going through the various time zones but lose it going east.

Another delay is mechanical maintenance, oil changes, filling the propane tanks, etc. Another time delay is doing your laundry, unless you have a w&d on board.

Take your time, smell the flowers and remember there's next year.

Good luck.
johng4706 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #48
Don't know if anyone suggested this but I've been to Zion and Bryce and for my money Bryce is far better scenery than Zion. Loved the colors of the Hoodoos just magnificent. Have fun
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #49
Wow what a Nice trip.To bad you will be doing the Griswall vacation on too many of your stops.Lots of miles per day.If it was me,and it's not,I would break this trip into two different trips.Same lenghth of time,just shorter days.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #50
I have been to Yellowstone twice pulling campers, 6000 miles in three weeks. We had booked 4 days in Fishing Bridge and 4 days in West Yellowstone and four days in Pigeon Forge TN. I was the only driver, DW would not drive. In 13 I pulled a 30RL Cedar Creek, it's the journey that I like. I don't have to stop at fuel stops so that helps some. Now don't get me wrong next year I plan on driving no more than 300 miles in a day but then DW will be retired and then it's drive one day and camp at least three days. Just have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote