Old 11-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Our plan next year is to have no plan and stay off the Interstate, stay in each campground at least 3 days and then drive to next campground.
Would love to have the time to just roam with no plan. Unfortunately it'll be many years until I have the time for that ... unless I win the lottery next week ... which I guess would mean I'd have to actually play the lottery first

Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #62

2 years ago we did a 5500 mile trip from Western NY to Yellowstone down to the Rocky Mtns and back home. Lots of "stuff" to see in between - Badlands and Custer State park (Black Hills area in SD) are awesome. The Oregon Trail is in Guernsey, WO. We've got pix of the family standing in the wagon rugs! And Devils Tower in WO is pretty cool as well. There's a KOA at/near the base with full hook ups. It's very expensive but it's the only game in town if you want something other than a dusty parking spot.

We pulled a 34' 5er (~10.5K #'s loaded) with a CC diesel and we averaged around 65 mph and I'm the only driver. It's doable for sure but when we'd pull in my wife would take the boys to the swimming pool or somewhere while I decompressed for a little bit. Wife made lunch early in the morning while I was getting the rig ready for the next days drive. At lunch time, stop for a potty break, stretch, grab the lunch and get back on the road.

Some people don't understand that if you live on the east coast and still have a full time job, getting out West is not the easiest thing to do and you have to make sacrifices to get to "the" destination. Because of our "whirlwind" trip a couple of years ago our boys have been able to use a lot of the learning for school projects when they learned about the Westward Movement and other things. And, now we're planning this summers trip to go back to SD so we can smell the roses because we know what we want this time.

John

Old 11-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #63

Your plan spends little time in Utah. Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Arches, Canyon Lands, Capital Reef and North Rim of the Grand Canyon are very nice and when stringed together are short half day drives. Zion is our least favorite. But we have visited them all many times in the last 40 years. And don't over look State Campgrounds along your route. Chatfield State Park the D loop is great for large units. $24 for full hookups. From there 90 minutes to Colorado Springs or Estes Park (RMNP).

I like to put big miles on the first day. Then slow the pace down. It is amazing what you find along the way when you do that. My biggest challenge is taking it easy once the truck is turned and headed for home.

I have done it both ways. Planned every stop and just headed out along the route and picked how far to go each day. Both ways have worked out. I will stay in truck stop or WalMart for a night if need be.

It is not a quest, it is a vacation. Enjoyment before the number of miles by the time you get home.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I'll get new higher-rated tires right before the trip,
Glad to hear you're replacing your tires.
We have the same 5er as you. First long trip (6000 miles). Had a flat. Replaced all 4 tires, and now the trailer is in the shop being repaired.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Would love to have the time to just roam with no plan. Unfortunately it'll be many years until I have the time for that ... unless I win the lottery next week ... which I guess would mean I'd have to actually play the lottery first

It's been a long time coming for us. It's been hard for both of us to get three weeks off at one time. Now we can go slow and I know people on here stop at Walmart for a overnight but that's gone for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #66

Just for those that have difficulty visualizing maps/routes (my wife says I have a built-in GPS in my head), here's a map of the route from the first post: -

(except I reversed it to do SW first, then head north)

I am also considering shorter routes for next year, and then doing another similarly long trip 3 years after (probably the first time I'd be able to do >4 weeks again)
Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBINFV View Post
Glad to hear you're replacing your tires.
We have the same 5er as you. First long trip (6000 miles). Had a flat. Replaced all 4 tires, and now the trailer is in the shop being repaired.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif
Sorry to hear of your problems
Hope you're liking the 5er, other than your current woes.

We're hoping that the cheap factory tires will last us until right before that big trip. We've only done some local (in-state, <200 miles each way) trips, putting less than 1000 miles on it thus far (bought it in the summer).

We do have trips planned to Savannah (265 miles ea way) over thanksgiving, and to near Pensacola (450 miles ea way) just after Christmas, so I'll keep a close eye on the tires.
(I do have a TST507 TPMS for both truck and fifth wheel, to keep an eye on tire pressures).
Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #68

Leefl,

Noted that you'll be heading to Savanah. I'm looking to go two weeks after Thanksgiving. What CG will you be using? I've done a quick search and found Skidaway and Haresdee. Any comments + or -?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
Leefl,

Noted that you'll be heading to Savanah. I'm looking to go two weeks after Thanksgiving. What CG will you be using? I've done a quick search and found Skidaway and Haresdee. Any comments + or -?

Thanks
We're going to be staying at the Savannah South KOA. It's convenient for us, and has pretty decent reviews. Haven't stayed in the area ourselves yet, so can't really comment too much until after our stay.

We normally prefer state parks (based on FL state parks anyway, which are mostly great), but have stayed at a couple of KOAs.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #70

Nice map. Be prepared; New Mexico has the worst roads we have ever traveled. What passes for an interstate hwy there is pitiful. Add more time 'cause it can be slow going.