Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Our plan next year is to have no plan and stay off the Interstate, stay in each campground at least 3 days and then drive to next campground.
Would love to have the time to just roam with no plan. Unfortunately it'll be many years until I have the time for that ... unless I win the lottery next week ... which I guess would mean I'd have to actually play the lottery first
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #62

2 years ago we did a 5500 mile trip from Western NY to Yellowstone down to the Rocky Mtns and back home. Lots of "stuff" to see in between - Badlands and Custer State park (Black Hills area in SD) are awesome. The Oregon Trail is in Guernsey, WO. We've got pix of the family standing in the wagon rugs! And Devils Tower in WO is pretty cool as well. There's a KOA at/near the base with full hook ups. It's very expensive but it's the only game in town if you want something other than a dusty parking spot.

We pulled a 34' 5er (~10.5K #'s loaded) with a CC diesel and we averaged around 65 mph and I'm the only driver. It's doable for sure but when we'd pull in my wife would take the boys to the swimming pool or somewhere while I decompressed for a little bit. Wife made lunch early in the morning while I was getting the rig ready for the next days drive. At lunch time, stop for a potty break, stretch, grab the lunch and get back on the road.

Some people don't understand that if you live on the east coast and still have a full time job, getting out West is not the easiest thing to do and you have to make sacrifices to get to "the" destination. Because of our "whirlwind" trip a couple of years ago our boys have been able to use a lot of the learning for school projects when they learned about the Westward Movement and other things. And, now we're planning this summers trip to go back to SD so we can smell the roses because we know what we want this time.

John
johnm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #63

Your plan spends little time in Utah. Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Arches, Canyon Lands, Capital Reef and North Rim of the Grand Canyon are very nice and when stringed together are short half day drives. Zion is our least favorite. But we have visited them all many times in the last 40 years. And don't over look State Campgrounds along your route. Chatfield State Park the D loop is great for large units. $24 for full hookups. From there 90 minutes to Colorado Springs or Estes Park (RMNP).

I like to put big miles on the first day. Then slow the pace down. It is amazing what you find along the way when you do that. My biggest challenge is taking it easy once the truck is turned and headed for home.

I have done it both ways. Planned every stop and just headed out along the route and picked how far to go each day. Both ways have worked out. I will stay in truck stop or WalMart for a night if need be.

It is not a quest, it is a vacation. Enjoyment before the number of miles by the time you get home.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I'll get new higher-rated tires right before the trip,
Glad to hear you're replacing your tires.
We have the same 5er as you. First long trip (6000 miles). Had a flat. Replaced all 4 tires, and now the trailer is in the shop being repaired.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Would love to have the time to just roam with no plan. Unfortunately it'll be many years until I have the time for that ... unless I win the lottery next week ... which I guess would mean I'd have to actually play the lottery first

It's been a long time coming for us. It's been hard for both of us to get three weeks off at one time. Now we can go slow and I know people on here stop at Walmart for a overnight but that's gone for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #66

Just for those that have difficulty visualizing maps/routes (my wife says I have a built-in GPS in my head), here's a map of the route from the first post: -

(except I reversed it to do SW first, then head north)

I am also considering shorter routes for next year, and then doing another similarly long trip 3 years after (probably the first time I'd be able to do >4 weeks again)
Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBINFV View Post
Glad to hear you're replacing your tires.
We have the same 5er as you. First long trip (6000 miles). Had a flat. Replaced all 4 tires, and now the trailer is in the shop being repaired.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif
Sorry to hear of your problems
Hope you're liking the 5er, other than your current woes.

We're hoping that the cheap factory tires will last us until right before that big trip. We've only done some local (in-state, <200 miles each way) trips, putting less than 1000 miles on it thus far (bought it in the summer).

We do have trips planned to Savannah (265 miles ea way) over thanksgiving, and to near Pensacola (450 miles ea way) just after Christmas, so I'll keep a close eye on the tires.
(I do have a TST507 TPMS for both truck and fifth wheel, to keep an eye on tire pressures).
Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #68

Leefl,

Noted that you'll be heading to Savanah. I'm looking to go two weeks after Thanksgiving. What CG will you be using? I've done a quick search and found Skidaway and Haresdee. Any comments + or -?

Thanks
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
Leefl,

Noted that you'll be heading to Savanah. I'm looking to go two weeks after Thanksgiving. What CG will you be using? I've done a quick search and found Skidaway and Haresdee. Any comments + or -?

Thanks
We're going to be staying at the Savannah South KOA. It's convenient for us, and has pretty decent reviews. Haven't stayed in the area ourselves yet, so can't really comment too much until after our stay.

We normally prefer state parks (based on FL state parks anyway, which are mostly great), but have stayed at a couple of KOAs.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #70

Nice map. Be prepared; New Mexico has the worst roads we have ever traveled. What passes for an interstate hwy there is pitiful. Add more time 'cause it can be slow going.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #71

I know it's been a while, but the revised trip is now (almost) fully booked up for the summer. Just got a few jobs to do on the camper first, but can't wait.

The revised itinerary is: -
(note all times are my estimates, including gas-stops and rest-stops, based on experience so far)

Day 1 - Central FL -> Paul B Johnson State Park, Hattiesburg, MS (likely an 11hr drive)
+1 day stop

Day 3 - Hattiesburg, MS to Sunset, TX (10 hr drive)
Day 4 - Sunset, TX to Alburquerque, NM (10 hr drive)
+ 1 day stop (Sandia Peak etc)

Day 6 - Alburquerque, NM to Glendale, UT (9 hr drive)
+ 5 day stop (Bryce Canyon, Zion, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon north rim)

Day 12 - Glendale, UT to Sequoia Natl Park, CA (10 hr drive)
+ 2 day stop (for Sequoia)

Day 15 - Sequoia to near Yosemite (4 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop

Day 19 - Yosemite to Crater Lake, OR (9 hr drive)
+ 1 day stop

Day 21 - Crater Lake, OR to Mt Rainer, WA (8 hr drive)
+ 1 day stop

Day 23 - Mt Rainier, WA to Revelstoke, BC (10.5 hr drive)
+ 1 day stop (Revelstoke/Glacier parks)

Day 25 - Revelstoke, BC to Jasper, AB (7 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop

Day 29 - Jasper, AB to Banff/Canmore, AB (6 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop

Day 33 - Banff, AB to Glacier Natl Park/St Mary, MT (5 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop

Day 37 - Glacier, MT to Yellowstone (9 hr drive)
+ 2 day stop

Day 40 - Yellowstone to Teton Valley (4 hr drive)
+ 2 day stop

Day 43 - Teton Valley to Estes Park, CO (9.5 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop

Day 47 - Estes Park, CO to Buena Vista, CO (4.5hr drive)
+ 3 day stop

Day 51 - Buena Vista, CO to Salina, KS (9 hr drive)
Day 52 - Salina, KS to Whittington, IL (9 hr drive)
+ 1 day stop

Day 54 - Whittington, IL to Chatanooga, TN (6 hr drive)
+ 2 day stop

Day 57 - Chatanooga, TN to Central FL (10 hr)

Roughly 8500 towing (+ a lot of other miles sightseeing), 8 weeks + 1 day

Old 02-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #72
Dr Travel

You've been warned by others, and it does not seem to affect your planning. But just for old times sake and speaking from long experience, you are trying to do too much too fast, traveling too far in too short a time. 9, 10 and 11 hour days traveling are absolutely nuts. What are you doing, a marathon? For what? To check off some list? why not slow down and enjoy some things. Many spots you are visiting for nothing - one or two days in special places is ludicrous.

Wish you well, but you will wear yourself and your companions out and will be a wreck when you get home - IF you get home.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #73

If it was me I would skip Mt Rainier and do one of the Coast Campground that Olympic National Park has. The only other that come to mind is Craters of the Moon National Monument but you do not have enough time for Yellowstone as it is. Looks like a great trip.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Nice map. Be prepared; New Mexico has the worst roads we have ever traveled. What passes for an interstate hwy there is pitiful. Add more time 'cause it can be slow going.
Thanks for the warning.
I tend to think I-4 through Orlando, and parts of I-95 and I-75 here in FL are pretty awful (especially compared to the FL stretch of I-10 which is actually pretty good).
Anything worse than those must be bad !
Old 02-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #75

If you're talking about doing this in 2016, reservations this late are going to be a problem. Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Zion are a mob scene in the summer. They all set attendance records in 2015. You might look at spending some time in the Black Hills.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #76
Rick and Sandy Dyer

In Yellowstone go to Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. In Zion stay in Zion RV park just outside the park. Your close enough to drive the park and see Bryce Nat Park.

Rick and Sandy Dyer

2016 Cardinal
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #77

I've been accused of planning some "very ambitious trips" in the past. In the future, I shall show your trip planning as a form of defense.

The trip looks awesome and also exhausting! FWIW, I'm 32!

Anyways, in Washington- there's a cute little town called Leavenworth that looks like a cool place to stop. Being a Floridian myself, I'm not sure how close to Spokane it is.

Many of the areas you plan on visiting are just gorgeous.

Instead of Florida Caverns since you've already been- maybe try Falling Rocks State Park? They are only like 30-45 minutes apart IIRC.

Also, in NM there's White Sands National monument which looks amazing as well and is on our agenda for our next trip. Between NM and Florida- there's lots of places to stay- what do you like? You could spend a day or so in New Orleans or Baton Rouge.

It will be hot as all get out in many of the places that you plan on being at that time frame.

Most importantly,

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #78

When you book so far ahead do you have to pay for all the campsites ahead of time. I am wondering if your sched. does get behind will it cost you a lot more?
I have done your Day 25 - Revelstoke, BC to Jasper, AB (7 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop
also your Day 29 - Jasper, AB to Banff/Canmore, AB (6 hr drive)
+ 3 day stop ...... YOUR HOURS ARE CORRECT but do not allow for bad traffic, stopping to see the awesome sights on those roads The Jasper Banff road is the best sights I have ever seen in the mountain's at least you will be doing it twice once up to Jasper then back down to Banff
Enjoy the trip
mustardjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #79

Speechless.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
You've been warned by others, and it does not seem to affect your planning. But just for old times sake and speaking from long experience, you are trying to do too much too fast, traveling too far in too short a time. 9, 10 and 11 hour days traveling are absolutely nuts. What are you doing, a marathon? For what? To check off some list? why not slow down and enjoy some things. Many spots you are visiting for nothing - one or two days in special places is ludicrous.

Wish you well, but you will wear yourself and your companions out and will be a wreck when you get home - IF you get home.
Appreciate the concern, but I honestly have no issue with the long days driving (and those hours are taking rest-stops etc into consideration). I've driven across most of Europe, often many more miles than that in a day.
This is a once-in-lifetime (or at least once before retirement) opportunity of taking 8 weeks off work in one go, and enjoying an adventure with the kids before they leave home.
Many of these spots we'll try to visit again, but we're focusing on the main stops of Bryce/Zion, Sequoia, Yosemite, Jasper, Banff and Colorado. One of the disadvantages of living in FL is how far it is to get to the W / NW of the country.
We're all looking forward to the trip