Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

Planning trip to maine & Massachusetts

My wife and are are planning a trip with another couple. We are going to stay near Portland, Maine for 2 or 3 days, then come down to Gloucester, Massachusetts for a day or 2. We are all staying in our Sunseeker 3170. I was looking for feedback from people that have stayed in those areas. Seems like the campgrounds I've checked out are in the $50 to $60 range, which isn't so bad, but when you add additional adults they seem to charge $15 per person. To me, that makes it a little steep. That's more than we spend at the beach! So, if anyone has experience in those areas I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've never camped out there, but I did spend 10 months commuting to Portland while consulting with a company out there. If you're into seafood (I'm not so this is just hearsay) then I was told to check out J's Oyster in downtown Portland.

The other one that's recommended is the Lobster Shack out at Two Lights. I've eaten there with colleagues who raved about the seafood (I had chicken myself).
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips on restaurants. Luckily, we all love seafood. I'll check them out online.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Dimillo's Floating Restaurant was good when we were there several years ago.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

Wassampski Springs

Stayed there last year for a week for a family reunion. A little tight, but they have a large lake and it's close to everything including Dock Side Restaurant at the corner of Broadway and Evans in South Portland. Best Seafood around and we've been to them all. Lived there up until 2010. Your pricing is on target, remember Maine has a short season and depends on tourist dollars.
DiMillo's and Lobster Shack are way over priced, but the Shack has an exultant view.
Enjoy your stay.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland1950 View Post
DiMillo's and Lobster Shack are way over priced, but the Shack has an exultant view.
Enjoy your stay.

I remember DiMillo's being outside our daily meal allowance, but I thought the lobster shack was reasonable. Less than what you'd pay at a Red Lobster here inland.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

You could always do what my Dad had us do as kids: Have your guests get down and hide as we checked in!!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

How close to you have to be to Portland? There is campground in Freeport called Recompense that is 45/night with w/e. and a KOA over that way. Also in the lakes region near Sebago Lake there are a number of campgrounds including Sebago Lake State Park that has E/W sites. The campgrounds in the lakes region are about 45 minutes by car to Portland. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I live in the lakes region and am 40 minutes from Portland. I have not stayed at any campgrounds in Southern Maine except for a place called Bunganut. It is about 20 minutes form the beaches and inland on a Bunganut Lake.

Most of the coastal campgrounds will nickel and dime you for extra adults. Also watch all campgrounds for notes about charging extra if you use your AC or have additional vehicles.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #9

Stayed in nearby Scarborough Maine, Baileys a little steep, KOA not bad they have two side to the CG, and the family CG. This is about a 15 minute drive up RT 1.

Gloucester there are not that many nearby CG's most of them are a little north Salisbury area, if you do not mind a State Campground look at the Salisbury State Reservation, no septic (dump station).
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #10

I've got a friend who just stayed at two campgrounds in Maine: Old Orchard Beach, and Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine. I'll check with him and see what he paid for each park. Not sure if those are close to where you want to stay, but might help.
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #11

Go to (Sunset Point C/G Harrington,Maine! The Owner (Kurt) will ask you how big & how many and what Time he is to (COOK & Deliver (Lobsters) to your unit or the Over look house of the Bay!! Look up their Web Site,all the Info! We were there,We WILL go BACK! Youroo!! PS,the owner and I were born on the (Same Day Same Year)
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

Maine Campgrounds

Old Orchard, 20 minutes, Bar Harbor 150 miles. Remember this is tourist season and a lot are booked up, so call ahead.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies with suggestions for campgrounds and restaurants. I finally had time yesterday to call for reservations and went through 5 campgrounds till I found one with an opening. In Maine we'll be staying at Hid'n Pines for 3 days. Great location to everything we want to see in that area. We'll be staying one night at Cape Ann campground in Gloucester, Massachusetts. We have a 1:30 reservation for whale watching in that area. That was all we wanted to do in that location. We will definitely hit some of the restaurants that have been recommended. Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

Thanks again for all the replies I got on this thread. Just got back from our Maine/Massachusetts trip and had a great time. Hid'n Pines Campground in Maine is really nice and I would definitely go back. Site 615 is huge! No one on your left side.Great location for sightseeing in the area. You can walk down to the beach from the campground and the amusement park in Old Orchard Beach. About a 20 minute drive to the park where the "headlight" is. The views were unbelievable! Rode bikes into Portland from the park over the Casco Bay Bridge. Some locals told us about a boat that goes out catching lobsters. It's called Lucky Catch." Unfortunately they were all booked up so we'll have to do it another time. Ate at the Lobster Shack that night. Not exactly what my wife and I were picturing. the views are great, but the way you get dinner was different. The restaurant really does look like a shack. You stand in line to order your food and the. Sit down inside if there are tables open or sit outside. Food was ok, but not what I would say great. Also went to Wolfe's Neck State Park and the LL Bean outlet to see the 2 moose that got locked together. The moose were out on tour in another state. I thought that was funny.
Stayed at Cape Ann Camp Site in Gloucester. It was fine for overnight, but wasn't great. Had a nice view of the salt marsh across the street. It's the only campground in the area. We went to Cape Ann Whale Watch. 15 minute drive from campground. Highly recommend it! They were extremely professional and we saw a lot of whales. One of the highlights of the trip. Ate at the Cruise Port afterwards. Food was very good.
Overall a great trip and will definitely be back!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #15

We stayed at hidden pines sister campground powder horn. Place was very clean and the amenities were great. close to all. We visited friends at baily's and liked that campground even more. Went whale watching and enjoyed the amusement park at old orchard beach a couple of times. So much nicer than the jersey shore was a great vacation destination
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
We just got back from visiting Powder Horn CG. Very impressed with cleanliness of grounds and bathhouse. Large flat sites, pools all closed up and as always some awesome whole belly fried clams down near the beach.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote