Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #1

Quick...need a campground in Destin FL

Hey all,

I have not been to Destin, but I am looking to go somewhere warm over spring break March 18-24. I know it is late notice, but I was looking for some input or ideas. I am located in Illinois and don't want more than about a 12 hour drive. Destin looks great but many areas are booked... I guess spring break. If anone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Also would consider Gulf shores, AL. as well. It will be my wife and I and our 2 kids 5 and 7 years old. I also would like to go somewhere that is not so "spring break crazy" if possible.

Thanks, Frank
2002 Daughter
1969 Wife
1974 Me

Live and Work in St. Louis, MO. area, but play everywhere!
-----------------------------------------
fire4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #2

If you can get reservations, try Topsail Hill State Park near Destin. We've stayed there a couple times and really enjoyed it. We'll be heading back to Topsail in the near future.
While in the area, we rode through Henderson Beach State Park. Looked to be a very nice park. It would be our second choice if Topsail has no sites available. Folk that stay there, rave over it. St.Andrews is another nice park with water front sites.

Another interesting one in Perdido Key, Florida is Playa del Rio RV Resort.

In the Gulf Shores area, we're looking at maybe spending some time at Gulf State Park this Fall. Haven't been there, but received good feedback on it.
There's also Luxury RV Resort , Palm Lake RV Resort and Island Retreat RV Park in the Gulf Shores area.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply milzat. I am going to change direction and go down that way in the fall so I can get my reservations early. I am going to visit family in Branson, MO. area and hope for good weather. BTW... I had already called all those other than St. Andrews. All were full except for the luxury RV resort which is 80 bucks a night plus tax!

Thanks, Frank
2002 Daughter
1969 Wife
1974 Me

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

I'll be in Branson tomorrow working. I live about 70 miles from there but do work around Branson all the time. Weather is in the 30's right now. Springfield got hit with 8 inches of snow today but it's disappearing fast. Should be in the 50's next week.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #5

yes Dave, I am on the receiving end of that snow, I work in St. Louis and we got about a foot today!

We are going to go to that Silver Dollar City Wilderness CG from Thursday and leave on Easter Sunday. I looked at many reviews and no CG jumped out. All seemed to be slightly above average at best. Do you have any input on where to camp down there?

I have been down a million times, but never camped as I just bought my first camper, and this is the first trip out other than the driveway.

Thanks, Frank
2002 Daughter
1969 Wife
1974 Me

Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #6

I just bought my first FW about 4 weeks ago. Never camped in Branson. We've got reservations for Memorial day weekend at ABC campground. If I remember right I got a highways magazine and they've been voted best campground for 5 years running. Drove by the other day and seems nice enough. Let me know how you like the Silver Dollar City campground. My exbosses wife works at Silver Dollar City as one of the people that manages some of the shops.
Big_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #7

I have some friends going there about the same time i think they are staying at Navarre Beach They go just about every year this time and they love it
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #8

Dave,

We just got back from our Branson trip, and it was great! This was our first trip out with our camper, and we have never camped prior to buying this TT. We had great weather for this time of year, 70 and sunny all 4 days!

The campground was great. The only advice I have is get a site that is away from the highway. This was advised to us when we reserved our site by the staff there, and it was a great recommendation.

The staff was wonderful and we met many great people that were camping there... most of them have been to the cg many times each year, and say they love coming back.

Any concerns, email and I will try to answer. I am going to post a review on http://www.campgroundreviews.com soon, with pics and all.

Frank
2002 Daughter
1969 Wife
1974 Me

Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
There is another camp groung in Destin. It is called 'Camping on the Gulf'.

http://www.campgulf.com/

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote