Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Recommend RV Parks on Hwy 1 and 101, CA & OR

We are planning a trip from San Francisco to Portland, OR in late September. I am looking for advice on RV Parks to stay in or even to avoid. Patrick's Point is the only place we know to stay. Pulling a 19' Wildwood TT with a F-150.
Appreciate any help. Thank you.
DavidO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #2

Look at Gualala Redwood RV Park. About a 4 hour drive north on HWY 1 from SF. Was there a couple months ago.

Gualala River Redwood Park | Camp in the redwoods, on the river, by the sea
ChrisPlus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

Are you just going to Portland or are you going to be NW of there in the Astoria/Seaside area?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #4

I just did the trip 2 times this year. I absolutely loved the Umpqua Lighthouse Park. Beautiful mountain and lake views.
terryjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

Get on Reserve America and see what is available for the State Parks coming up the coast. I have stayed at a lot of them, starting with Harris beach right on the /ca/OR border, all the way up to Ft Stevens in Astoria. You probably won't get a beachfront at this point, but the State Parks are all awesome.

My only limitation has been the length of my truck and trailer, although we have dropped the 5th in a site and parked in overnight parking in order to snag a view site.

Cape Blanco, Bullards Beach, South Beach, Umpqua Lighthouse, Beverly Beach,Cape Lookout and Ft Stevens are all on my repeat list, having been several times to many of them.

If you are looking to stay near Portland...LL Stub Stewart State Park is great. 40 minute drive into DT portland, great hiking, mountain biking, road biking. If you have kids the upper (Dairy Creek East) is better...playground and large field, if you like a more quiet environment, Dairy Creek West is the place to go.

In Portland...Columbia River rv park and Portland fairview rv park are the cleanest we've experienced, but some people also say Jantzen beach...not on my top list.

Have a safe and excellent trip!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Don't know where all we are going, hoping for some recommendations. Had heard the drive on 101 around the Olympic NP is beautiful with a lot of water falls. Not sure we want to go the additional distance though. Thanks for your input.
DavidO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Anacortesians

The only drawback to the run along the Washington coast on 101 is that all the towns are really small. It's not easy to find supplies once you're past the Ocean Shores turn-off. Gorgeous scenery, though. If you do go round, don't miss a drive up to Hurricane Ridge (in the truck!). Port Townsend is a pretty town, lots of historical buildings.

If you want a quick route back to I-5 to head home, I'd suggest the ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville, then SR-20 to Burlington.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

We like Pomo campgrounds just a mile or so south of Fort Bragg on hiway 1. If you want a great breakfast out I recommend Eggheads in Fort Bragg.
marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Like Rigpdx said above, check the Oregon coast state parks. They are great. I have done the whole coast there 3X always in September and love it more and more each trip. September is a great time to go. After the holiday when the kids go back to school the crowds really clear out. We will be in WA on the 101 around Olympic Park next month and are looking forward to comparing it to the OR coast section.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

We usually stayed at Riverwalk RV Park in Fortuna on our trips to Oregon. It's about a days drive north of San Jose (280 to SF, then 101 north). There is Eel River Brewery within walking distance. And the Loleta Cheese Factory nearby.

Another place we liked in Oregon is Winchester Bay RV Resort at Winchester Bay, Oregon. The RV park sticks out into the bay. There is a lighthouse nearby to tour. We also like Brookings, Oregon; usually stayed at Riversedge RV Park.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Camping along hwy 101

SunSet beach in Coos bay Oregon is a must. I haven't stayed there, but have heard good things about it. Sunset beach is awesome at low tide,many tide pools to explore.
litz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
KOA in Wallport, Oregon is on 101 Very clean and view.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #13

We like Village Camper Inn RV Park in Crescent City, CA. Village Camper Inn, RV Park Crescent City, California 95531
Tds1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #14
DnJ

We haven't been to Oregon for three years, but we have made several trips over the years. In the order of travel, here are some of the places we've stayed and things we've done. On Hwy 1, Bodega Bay RV park is a nice place to stay, Pomo RV park in Fort Bragg is a favorite. When in Fort Bragg, do the Mendocino Garden. Don't go north of Fort Bragg on Hwy 1, go over to Willets on Hwy 101. Benbow RV in Garberville is a very nice park. It has a nine hole golf course if you play golf. North of Garberville, take the Avenue of the Giants, a great dive. Rivers Edge in Fortuna is a very nice park, and a short side trip to Ferndale. Sounds of the Sea RV Park in Trinidad is very nice. On to Oregon, try to make it to Gold Beach. The Turtle Rock RV Park is interesting, and if you stay an extra day take the mail boat trip up the Rouge River. Also, in Brookings there is a great Fish and Chips place on the warf. In Florance, the Hecta Beach RV park is quite nice, and the shops in old town are great. In Tillamook, there's an RV park across the road from the cheese factory that is OK. But be sure to do the cheese factory tour and have an ice cream cone. Have a very nice trip.
DnJ is offline   Reply With Quote