Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Question RV campgrounds around San Francisco

Does anyone know of good RV parks around San Francisco, CA that will accommodate a 40 ft motor coach and full size pickup truck? The closest State and Military Parks seem to be 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, and the private owned RV parks all look like parking lots where reviews say you may not have enough room to open slide-outs.
San Francisco RV Park is close to San Francisco and has the possibility of a beautiful view if you pay a higher rate, but is very cramped. I have seen Candlestick RV park, and Treasure Island RV park, which are both right in San Francisco, but theirs no view and once again they are very cramped.
We need 50amp electric, and full hook up for six nights in late June of next year.
We finally found a KOA camp ground in Petaluma,CA which is about an hour to the North and is acceptable in every regard, but very expensive at $120 per night.
We are going to visit the Robert Mondavi Winery, and one of the Redwood Forest, besides spending three days touring San Francisco.
Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
ClaySullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

How important are amenities and ambiance? If you're only there to sleep and don't mind a gravel lot then you might check out the fairgrounds in Santa Rosa, a little north of Petaluma. We stay there when we visit our son who lives in the area. We are only there to sleep at night so the gravel lot is fine. We have a 36' FW we tow with a Volvo semi. Plenty of length. Some spaces are close, but it's usually pretty empty so you can park with an empty site on each side.
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Petaluma KOA.Nice place with enough sites to take any size unit.We stayed there two years ago.Nice drive into the bay.Good place to base and drive any direction.
We didn't pay near that amount.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Site Team

There are two places in Napa, that can fit your setup.
Napa Valley Expo is near downtown and is a traditional RV park.
Skyline Park is a rural campground just outside the city limits. It's next to vineyards.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

We are currently staying at Haif Moon Bay State Beach. 40' rv spaces plus separate truck pad. Electric only but dump and fill a ailable at park entrance. Flush toilets and showers. $50/night. Not in SF not a long drive over the mountain from San Mateo. Beach access and a view of the whales in the surf right from your campsite.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

rv park near sf

Have you looked into Olema rv park 1800 655 2267. near point rays
Dan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2 View Post
Have you looked into Olema rv park 1800 655 2267. near point rays
it's a slow drive to SF or Napa Valley. not exactly great for day trips.
it is great for trips to Bolinas and Pt. Reyes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

If you don't mind a bit of a drive look into the State parks and RV campgrounds look around Bodega Bay and Dillion beach. Just be prepared for wind. The closer you are to S.F. the more you are going to pay and like you said be packed in there. These are west of Petaluma. I grew up in Sonoma and use to go there as a kid on day trips. My brother and his daughters goes there to camp on weekends and loves it there.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

I have used Pacifica. It is a parking lot, buts it's right on the ocean. Bring a jacket. Will handle big units.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
I grew up in Sonoma and use to go there as a kid on day trips. My brother and his daughters goes there to camp on weekends and loves it there.
i also grew up in Sonoma Valley. great place and still has retained its charm and small town atmosphere.
i lived there in the 60's and 70's and very little has changed there. which is amazing considering where it's located.

Napa Valley on the other hand, is much different now, compared to when i was a kid.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #11

Following.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #12

Petaluma KOA is the best "big-rig" RV park in the area. We stay there often with our 35' 5th wheel. Ask for an "end site" which has additional real estate compared to the sites in the middle of the pack. The best thing about the park is that you are in Petaluma, and only a three minute drive from the Lagunitas Craft Brewery. Order their "Around the World" Sampler, but make sure you have a designated driver to take you back to the RV!!

Also, do not miss touring the Marin/Sonoma County Cheese Makers. The French have nothing on these cheese makers. My favorite is the Triple Cream Jalapeno Brie. It is to die for!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Petaluma KOA is the best "big-rig" RV park in the area. We stay there often with our 35' 5th wheel. Ask for an "end site" which has additional real estate compared to the sites in the middle of the pack. The best thing about the park is that you are in Petaluma, and only a three minute drive from the Lagunitas Craft Brewery. Order their "Around the World" Sampler, but make sure you have a designated driver to take you back to the RV!!

Also, do not miss touring the Marin/Sonoma County Cheese Makers. The French have nothing on these cheese makers. My favorite is the Triple Cream Jalapeno Brie. It is to die for!
I think I am getting home sick. Been away for about 36 years except for very short visit.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 07-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #14

A couple years ago we stayed in Vallejo, California at Tradewinds RV Park. Their website shows $39/night. Rates
One day we drove into San Francisco and one day we took the ferry from Vallejo. Driving our long bed F150 was not much fun in the city and parking was difficult to find.
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #15

We were just in San Francisco last month. We stayed at Marin RV Park. This is north of San Francisco and Sausalito.

We were there for 5 nights and mostly toured throughout San Francisco each day. Marin RV Park was a super convenient location as it was a short 10-15 minute walk to the Larkspur ferry to San Francisco. This ferry will take you to downtown San Francisco and you do not have to worry about driving or expensive downtown parking.

This was a very clean RV park and the staff were friendly and helpful. The sites were definitely big enough to accommodate larger rigs. While this is not a scenic campground it was a good and convenient location for traveling around San Francisco.

If you don't already know, San Francisco can be cold during the summer if you are near the bay. If you are not prepared, especially at night, you will be taking home some souvenir San Francisco sweat shirts.

Hope this helps
Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootree View Post
We were just in San Francisco last month. We stayed at Marin RV Park. This is north of San Francisco and Sausalito.

We were there for 5 nights and mostly toured throughout San Francisco each day. Marin RV Park was a super convenient location as it was a short 10-15 minute walk to the Larkspur ferry to San Francisco. This ferry will take you to downtown San Francisco and you do not have to worry about driving or expensive downtown parking.

This was a very clean RV park and the staff were friendly and helpful. The sites were definitely big enough to accommodate larger rigs. While this is not a scenic campground it was a good and convenient location for traveling around San Francisco.

If you don't already know, San Francisco can be cold during the summer if you are near the bay. If you are not prepared, especially at night, you will be taking home some souvenir San Francisco sweat shirts.

Hope this helps
This is well looking into, use to live in the East Bay in Martinez, as you mentioned you also wanted to see the winery, easy trip from Marin County, as you go up highway #101 to the Redwoods, You can stay at the fair grounds in Ukiah. Very large spaces very few people even know that they can camp there and it's cheap. Redwoods start just above Ukiah. The ferry is your best bet to see SF and travel from Marin County. you will be dropped off at Fisherman's wharf. From there a couple blocks away you can catch the SF trolley. Public Transit is very good all over SF. You are going to just love it. It's true the coldest summer I ever spent is in SF. When it gets in the 70's it's like a heat wave. I raised my family there 27 years. Used to race sail boats in the bay....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #17

Trailer Villa in Redwood City can accommodate your rig, and has full hookups. Ain't cheap but it is CA! We have stayed there a few times. Not pretty, lots of asphalt, but a safe, clean park with good laundry.
3401 East Bayshore Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
We are currently staying at Haif Moon Bay State Beach. 40' rv spaces plus separate truck pad. Electric only but dump and fill a ailable at park entrance. Flush toilets and showers. $50/night. Not in SF not a long drive over the mountain from San Mateo. Beach access and a view of the whales in the surf right from your campsite.
Been there three times and love it. Not sure what the drive downtown is on a weekdays but it's not bad on the weekend. Great place to be. Great eating up and down the highway and interesting things to see.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

Doran Beach at Bodega Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
If you don't mind a bit of a drive look into the State parks and RV campgrounds look around Bodega Bay and Dillion beach. Just be prepared for wind. The closer you are to S.F. the more you are going to pay and like you said be packed in there. These are west of Petaluma. I grew up in Sonoma and use to go there as a kid on day trips. My brother and his daughters goes there to camp on weekends and loves it there.
Perhaps you meant "Doran Beach" (at Bodega Bay; it's a Sonoma County Regional Park, I believe). Good place for beach walks, almost always coolish but sometimes very windy. Had 36 straight hours of strong wind last stay. Allow 90 minutes, at least, to get to the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco.
ElPaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPaso View Post
Perhaps you meant "Doran Beach" (at Bodega Bay; it's a Sonoma County Regional Park, I believe). Good place for beach walks, almost always coolish but sometimes very windy. Had 36 straight hours of strong wind last stay. Allow 90 minutes, at least, to get to the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco.
Nope, there is a place called Dillion Beach. It is near Tomales. Went there a lot as a kid. Right at the beginning of Tomales Bay and still apart of Bodega Bay.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2753....0317913,12.5z

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf

Tags
mpg