Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
Satellite Phone anyone?

Wondering if any of you would recommend a satellite phone for emergency use in the remote areas of Alaska? If so, what experiences have you had with them and any advice for someone considering/researching the subject.

Darrell & Kathy
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS 5er
2013 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel
B&W Companion Slider
wdw0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
They work, need a good sight line of the sky. Globalstar had a bad name years ago, but not sure if that is still true. They never worked south of of Iridium was what we were issued when overseas and in places where cell phones were not feasible.
But I base this info on history over 10 years ago.

But I understand your worries, since I'm single and hike a lot with and without the dogs, I carry a Personal locator beacon (aka Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon EPIRB).

Simple device, costs about 275, one time fee. Register with NOAA for free; but actually not required. They will work in places a SPOT location will not work, but a SPOT is better than nothing.

When working with the SAR, if asked, they would recommend a PLB over a SPOT, but again, that was quite a few years ago now.

It send out a a satellite signal, but also has a homing beacon and flashing LED light. Sat signal gives GPS, low level is used by most SAR units for pinpointing a person. Be surprised how far people can move away from the first signal with GPS, and in the dark hard to find so the homing beacon helps, along with the bright flashing LED.

I believe they even offer some non-emergency tracking features like SPOT, but never opted for that service.

Battery is good for about five years, then can be replaced, or just a new unit purchased.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
I hunt in some remote places and always have one with me. I have an iridium 9555 and have had very few times I could not connect. I actually had it in Russia a few weeks ago and thought I would have an issue with some of the valleys we were in but I didn't. I am not up on some other things available but I hear they are very reliable. Company I deal with is Explorer Satilite in ft Lauderdale. Depends on your needs but they rent them out so no need to buy one.
2013 Heritage Glen 28RLT
2013 Dodge 2500 Cummins
Jim 1367 is offline   Reply With Quote