Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #61

Thinking about going to Canada truck weighs 8000 camper 5k what do I do
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaderone View Post
Thinking about going to Canada truck weighs 8000 camper 5k what do I do
Try to Hire On as a Support Vehicle with the "Wheat Harvesters" Youroo!!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaderone View Post
I'm not Comercial so I don't stop those inspections are for viechels with DOT numbers.

If they want a search get a warent

"Trucks" are defined by state law. In IL, a "Truck" is any truck, including pickups. Now, nobody stops at scales and the ISP doesn't really care... but technically you are a truck. Commercial has nothing to do with it. Overweight doesn't apply to only commercial vehicles.

In addition... if there is a road stop like the the OP describes, have fun ignoring them. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #64

I am in Canada (Gaspé) right now with my F250 and 13,000 # Wildcat. Never gave it a thought, never questioned at the border coming in, and I am not going to worry it.
Go RV'ing and don't sweat the small stuff. Canada wants our money so I seriously doubt they will cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #65
Canadian Member

My posts relate only to the Province of Ontario. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. 5er_tom is in Gaspe which would be the Province of Quebec. Border guards are federal employees and they don't care about provincial things like the Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario.

I don't know if the laws in the other provinces and the territories are similar or totally different. It's no different than US states having their own laws on truck safety and commercial vehicles.

If you're thinking about coming up here, please don't let my posts make you think twice. Before I bought my new F250 this year, I had no idea that these regs were in place. The Ford dealer who I bought from insisted on registering the truck with a RGW to cover my TT's weight. Almost every other dealer would have ignored the trailer weight and registered it for it's 9900# GVWR which is under the 4500 kg truck weight threshold. I don't know any other RVers here who have their pickups registered for more than 4500 kg and many are pulling TTs and 5ers that are well over 2800 kg. I suspect that that part of the law is not well known because it's rarely enforced here in Ontario.

EDIT: It's interesting, and telling, that in Ontario RVers do not need to stop at highway scales for weighing. They only seem to care about trucks clearly being used for commercial purposes.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #66

Time to unfollow this thread.. my eyes [emoji102] hurt.. You all have safe travels.

2013 Ram 2500 "Cummins"
2014 Columbus 340RK
Amana Iowa
30 days has September.. I'll leave on Sunday..[emoji28]
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #67

The red dye is put in at pipeline when you load your truck uses less than a quart of dye for load of diesel which most trucks have 7500 gallons on a loaded truck full
Westielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #68
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My posts relate only to the Province of Ontario. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. 5er_tom is in Gaspe which would be the Province of Quebec. Border guards are federal employees and they don't care about provincial things like the Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario.

I don't know if the laws in the other provinces and the territories are similar or totally different. It's no different than US states having their own laws on truck safety and commercial vehicles.

If you're thinking about coming up here, please don't let my posts make you think twice. Before I bought my new F250 this year, I had no idea that these regs were in place. The Ford dealer who I bought from insisted on registering the truck with a RGW to cover my TT's weight. Almost every other dealer would have ignored the trailer weight and registered it for it's 9900# GVWR which is under the 4500 kg truck weight threshold. I don't know any other RVers here who have their pickups registered for more than 4500 kg and many are pulling TTs and 5ers that are well over 2800 kg. I suspect that that part of the law is not well known because it's rarely enforced here in Ontario.

EDIT: It's interesting, and telling, that in Ontario RVers do not need to stop at highway scales for weighing. They only seem to care about trucks clearly being used for commercial purposes.
In Saskatchewan, my F250 is registered as a personal use vehicle as I do not use it to make money other than drive it to work once in a while. On my registration there is a RGVW spot that shows me having a 19,000 lb registered gross vehicle weight. The RGVW does not have to be on the registration if the combined weight of the truck and trailer do not exceed 11,000 lbs. Also if you pull a trailer that weighs over 11,000 lbs (as weighed at the scales not GVWR) you need a class 1 license or a G endorsement on your license. I also carry a certificate of safety compliance in the truck which is required if I travel stateside or to other provinces. I always check the laws of the provinces and states we travel through to ensure I know the speed limits etc thus ensuring we have a trouble free trip. We also do not have to stop at highway scales but the highway patrol units will pull over RVers who they feel are overloaded and well if you are not legaly registered you will be leaving your trailer behind.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westielover View Post
The red dye is put in at pipeline when you load your truck uses less than a quart of dye for load of diesel which most trucks have 7500 gallons on a loaded truck full
wow and I thought I had big tanks on my semi at 200 gals each
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #70
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
wow and I thought I had big tanks on my semi at 200 gals each
I believe he's talking about a tank trailer when it is loaded at the refinery to go out for delivery to local stations.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #71

How do they pick and choose what to pull over? Are they going to pull every truck and car over and then determine which is gas and which is diesel. Seems kind of hard to pick one.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #72
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
How do they pick and choose what to pull over? Are they going to pull every truck and car over and then determine which is gas and which is diesel. Seems kind of hard to pick one.
Anyone driving a Dodge or Ram truck are a shoe-in. Fords usually get a pass.
Really though most of any roadside inspections are random or until they fill up the lane. Or if it's got obvious safety issues your getting pulled in.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:42 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Anyone driving a Dodge or Ram truck are a shoe-in. Fords usually get a pass.
Really though most of any roadside inspections are random or until they fill up the lane. Or if it's got obvious safety issues your getting pulled in.
Fords can be found at the side of the road by the fuel checkers!. Just kidding of course, but good banter makes this site fun as well as informative.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Fords can be found at the side of the road by the fuel checkers!. Just kidding of course, but good banter makes this site fun as well as informative.
The Fords are not moving anyway.........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The Fords are not moving anyway.........................
Odd response from a guy with a 66 and an 86 Mustang.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I looked on North Carolina DOT website and it said it was a civil penalty of $1,000 bucks if DOT dipped out red dyed fuel and if you refused to let DOT or law enforcement check it was a $1,000. I saw other states some were higher, some places in Canada was higher. It isn't worth it to me, as unlucky as I am I would get caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Its a taxation thing. Nothing to do with EPA or illegal search and seizure or your constitutional rights. Off road fuel is not taxed the same as on road fuel.

You have the right to be stopped and checked, I'm sure that you can request that they get a warrant before you are checked, at which time you can be detained until they get one.

Licence checks are done often around here, no difference checking for untaxed fuel

Quote:
It falls under federal dot laws No such thing as a constitutional right of protection against unreasonable search and seizure.

Federal search & seizure laws state that without affirmative consent, a closed locked container can not be searched without a warrant. Just sayin' ....if you have a locking fuel cap, it's a locked container.

Quote:
their is no reason for a pickup to be marked as commercial when used as a private use . but I will never be in Canada again after the problem I had years ago at the border and told them as I turned around no reason for me to ever come back here again, They asked for ID this was before you needed a passport so I showed my drivers lic, he threw it in my face saying whats this that's not ID so a long story cut short I said I will just go back to the usa and I walked back across the rainbow bridge.

I live in a world I don't understand anymore
Not in all states here in the U.S.....for example; https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-class-vehicle.
And, New York commercial plates say as much "commercial" right on them & as such, are not allowed on any commercial restricted road/highway.

Also, when we registered our TV & 5er in Florida, I was informed that the TV would have to be registered as a commercial vehicle due to its GVWR. I started to protest until she told me it would be cheaper because commercial reg. rates are less per pound than passenger rates. And the only way to tell is to actually look at the registration which states "commercial". The plates themselves don't look any different than any other car on the road.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
The last time I engaged in "good banter" about ford vs chevy, I just about got kicked off.Just sayin............
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #78
Who Dares, Wins

While the locked container idea sounds good... You might be free to go, but your truck will not. Here it will be seized until it can be inspected it you refuse, because by our law you have no choice to submit to inspection of the vehicle. Now this is safety inspection(fuel, tires, body) , not car searches.. For other stuff. Yes that needs consent or a warrant.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
While the locked container idea sounds good... You might be free to go, but your truck will not. Here it will be seized until it can be inspected it you refuse, because by our law you have no choice to submit to inspection of the vehicle. Now this is safety inspection(fuel, tires, body) , not car searches.. For other stuff. Yes that needs consent or a warrant.

Oh, I never said you wouldn't be detained until a warrant shows up....that is a certainty. And, they would certainly "find" more stuff to write you up for while you're waiting......in the squad car with handcuffs on.

Fuel??.....a "safety" inspection item??? Except maybe if it's leaking, then yes.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #80

In North Carolina if you refuse it's a $1,000.00 fine. I don't imagine DOT cares. I drive is a lot of states and I'm not going to risk it to save a few pennies. But it's a free country do what you like. I have a 100 gallon fuel tank and I can sometimes save when I'm in a state that the fuel is cheap in. A year ago or so I can remember paying four bucks a gallon for diesel, its right much cheaper now

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel