Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Stopped for Diesel Road Fuel Inspection!

We really "Lucked Out" at a "Mandatory Truck Diesel Road Fuel Check"! All trucks were stopped and had to pull into a "Closed Weight Station" where they opened your fuel fill and submitted a 4' long TEST Strip! They really were NOT busy when we were there so I ask if the "Scales were on" they said yes and let us weight all our axles! This was in Montana,and the State Troopers were Very Helpful! Youroo!! PS total weight was "16,500 lbs"!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #2

Always wondered if they test trucks with rv's, out our way have never heard of it being done, really not worth saving a few cents at the pump if caught!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Always wondered if they test trucks with rv's, out our way have never heard of it being done, really not worth saving a few cents at the pump if caught!!!!
I would guess the reason out here is the amount of "Moving Cities" in regards to the Wheat Harvest! They have EVERYTHING with them,Big RVs,food,fuel,water,repair parts,and it takes LOTs of FUEL for the Harvest Equip! So say a Big Rig that is pulling one of the Big RVs needs a Little fuel well I can see them using what they Have thus the "FUEL CHECKS" out here! Youroo!!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Youroo is correct, farmers usually do not have to pay "Road Taxes" on gas/diesel fuel used in tractors, combines, etc., but are not supposed to use that fuel in their trucks, thus, the states usually have the 'Road Fuel Checks'.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

Stopped for Diesel Road Fuel Inspection!

Just to give you an idea how it works in Indiana. We call it "farm fuel" or most places "off road fuel"

So pump diesel was $2.25 here this week. I bought 5000 gallon of "off road" fuel for $1.53. They strip all the road taxes out of it. Then the drop some dye in it to make it red.

So any equip we have that's used in the fields is run on "off road". Now our pick ups and any vehicles used to haul the equip to a job better have road fuel in it. Been a few years since they have had check points here.

But I agree with you youroo those harvest crews probably look for any way possible to save or make a little extra.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

It's very nice to gets free weight for your truck & trailer. But just remember if the cops check your weight against the plate by your drivers door & you're overweight your trailer WILL be staying with them.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

When the sign says "truck" it's referring to commercial trucks. RV's don't have to stop.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

That's a first.. we use the red dye in Wisconsin also for farm equipment and other tax free users.. Have never seen them check ..
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Around here I've only seen commercial trucks tested. The penalty for running off-road fuel is $10,000 fine. If you have a fleet, they go back to your yard and check all the registered diesel vehicles. For every other registered vehicle you get an additional fine.
Now Virginia will test and fine anyone, even a little old pickup not hauling anything. I have access to the off road but will never take that gamble. 10 g's is a lot of fuel.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
jammer 16

If your not licensed in the state that does the fuel checking I'm wondering what happened to the amendment against unreasonable search and seizure. I just can t see how they can search your vehicle without probable cause to believe you put untaxed.fuel in your Rv or tv. I have never seen a sign at a state line saying if you travel our roads you surrender your constitutional right of protection against unreasonable search and seizure.
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
So pump diesel was $2.25 here this week. I bought 5000 gallon of "off road" fuel for $1.53. They strip all the road taxes out of it. Then the drop some dye in it to make it red.

But I agree with you youroo those harvest crews probably look for any way possible to save or make a little extra.

Russell
Not a "little xtra" but 32% cheaper. Good for the farmers, without food, we all wither away.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Dear Telstar,
Yes the sign does say commercial trucks but if they agree to weigh you're RV and you're illegally overweight........
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlschurman View Post
If your not licensed in the state that does the fuel checking I'm wondering what happened to the amendment against unreasonable search and seizure. I just can t see how they can search your vehicle without probable cause to believe you put untaxed.fuel in your Rv or tv. I have never seen a sign at a state line saying if you travel our roads you surrender your constitutional right of protection against unreasonable search and seizure.
It falls under federal dot laws No such thing as a constitutional right of protection against unreasonable search and seizure.
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
When the sign says "truck" it's referring to commercial trucks. RV's don't have to stop.
Sorry but when the State Patrol is standing In the Highway with a Huge Sign that said "ALL Trucks must STOP" and we Stopped and He said Pull in for Fuel Check! We pulled In! Now what You Do in this Situation may Differ! Youroo!!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Though I agree with your thought process, I would imagine this falls in line with DUI check points. Or any other random stops the state decides to check.

I once was stopped early Sunday morning, on a country road, to verify registration and insrance was up to date. I assumed it was quicker to supply the requested information than to argue the legality of the search. As previously stated, sometimes it is easier to go with the flow.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:

Ever heard of Federal Asset Forfeiture Laws? By using illegal fuel, you may or may not be convicted of a crime. As evidence, your truck and trailer can be seized and not returned to you. You may not even be given a ticket.... but since your truck was illegally used... it can be taken. (and does not have to be returned to you)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #17

POE

I've been tested several times at Illinois points of entry especially during harvest season. Doesn't really amount to much if your legal.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
Carknocker Family

It's the IRS that tests the fuel here in AR. Had a lady pull up in our yard at work, flashed her ID. Then she went to checking trucks.

And the comments about weigh station troopers checking your door sticker to your weight. Has that ever happened to anybody pulling a RV. I bet not.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
It's very nice to gets free weight for your truck & trailer. But just remember if the cops check your weight against the plate by your drivers door & you're overweight your trailer WILL be staying with them.
Wowser!! Is that a Canadian thing or do cops do that everywhere?

"...your trailer WILL be staying with them." REALLY??... that's sounds like a load to me but not aware of how the weight police really do enforce such things.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Wowser!! Is that a Canadian thing or do cops do that everywhere?

"...your trailer WILL be staying with them." REALLY??... that's sounds like a load to me but not aware of how the weight police really do enforce such things.

Not a Canadian thing at all. Happens in CA more than anywhere. Give a cop reason to stop you if he suspects overweight and portable scales prove it ~~ you do not move that trailer.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel