Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #21
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Not a Canadian thing at all. Happens in CA more than anywhere. Give a cop reason to stop you if he suspects overweight and portable scales prove it ~~ you do not move that trailer.
Now really.. do you actually know, first hand, of this ever happening to a RVer?

And you say it happens in CA more than anywhere? What is that based on? I read the RV message boards and don't remember seeing one thread on this. I mean where some guy in a 1/2 ton PU towing heavy fiver got pulled over and was made to unhitch and leave his RV.

Maybe I'm not paying attention. You make it sound like it's pretty common.

Please... give me a link.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlschurman View Post
If your not licensed in the state that does the fuel checking I'm wondering what happened to the amendment against unreasonable search and seizure. I just can t see how they can search your vehicle without probable cause to believe you put untaxed.fuel in your Rv or tv. I have never seen a sign at a state line saying if you travel our roads you surrender your constitutional right of protection against unreasonable search and seizure.
It is an EPA thing, not a State thing. Most likely the EPA requested the state's help.

I wonder if my Excursion could sneak past a stop since it is registered as a station wagon?
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #23
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
It is an EPA thing, not a State thing. Most likely the EPA requested the state's help.

I wonder if my Excursion could sneak past a stop since it is registered as a station wagon?
EPA?? I think it's all about revenue collection. Not Environmental anything.

Are you saying you have a diesel Excursion running ag fuel?

NOT a good idea, IMO.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #24
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Though I agree with your thought process, I would imagine this falls in line with DUI check points. Or any other random stops the state decides to check.

I once was stopped early Sunday morning, on a country road, to verify registration and insrance was up to date. I assumed it was quicker to supply the requested information than to argue the legality of the search. As previously stated, sometimes it is easier to go with the flow.
Same here.. 3 or 4 times in my life maybe. Just suck it up show them the docs and keep moving.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #25

Its a taxation thing. Nothing to do with EPA or illegal search and seizure or your constitutional rights. Off road fuel is not taxed the same as on road fuel.

You have the right to be stopped and checked, I'm sure that you can request that they get a warrant before you are checked, at which time you can be detained until they get one.

Licence checks are done often around here, no difference checking for untaxed fuel

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #26

I'm not Comercial so I don't stop those inspections are for viechels with DOT numbers.

If they want a search get a warent
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
It's very nice to gets free weight for your truck & trailer. But just remember if the cops check your weight against the plate by your drivers door & you're overweight your trailer WILL be staying with them.

What plate specifically? And what weight?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Wowser!! Is that a Canadian thing or do cops do that everywhere?

"...your trailer WILL be staying with them." REALLY??... that's sounds like a load to me but not aware of how the weight police really do enforce such things.
There was a time a few years ago when they were very zealous checking weight legalities on RV combinations coming into BC at the BC/AB border but I haven't heard much about it recently. The reasoning was valid. People pulling over capacity heading into the mountains off the flat lands. However it created a huge amount of bad press and seems that they have backed off . It's pretty serious in our province if you get people unfamiliar with long steep grades pulling trailers that are over capacity.......it's called serious accidents and fatalities. Here in BC that stuff is checked by CVSE which technically only are for commercial traffic but they look over to the other side occasionally.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sorry but when the State Patrol is standing In the Highway with a Huge Sign that said "ALL Trucks must STOP" and we Stopped and He said Pull in for Fuel Check! We pulled In! Now what You Do in this Situation may Differ! Youroo!!
what is people don't understand when a sigh says all trucks must get weighed or stop its for COMMERICAL not a private owned pickup pulling your camper, if you have commercial plates, dot numbers on your truck you stop
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
what is people don't understand when a sigh says all trucks must get weighed or stop its for COMMERICAL not a private owned pickup pulling your camper, if you have commercial plates, dot numbers on your truck you stop
IF the sign says "ALL TRUCKS" it means "ALL TRUCKS" what part of "ALL TRUCKS" do you not understand? IF they only wanted commercial trucks, the sign would say "ALL COMMERCIAL TRUCKS".

Could be a farmer pulling an rv trailer using "Farm fuel" in his truck.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
I guess You Missed the part about "State Trooper STANDING in the road with a STOP SIGN! Then VERBALY saying PULL IN for Check! Youroo!!
Old 09-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #32

I would agree that if a trooper is standing there with a sign I will pull in but with the regular weigh scales set up I by pass them and a lot of you know we tow with a regular class 8 tractor, it is registered as a rv with NO commercial plates or DOT# and have never been chased down. This is a regular topic on the Esacapees forum but never has the fuel issue been brought up like it has here. I know NOT to run off road fuel just not worth the risk in my opinion.I believe the home state registration really has no merit as a lot of trucking outfits are registered where the tax breaks and other things work best for them. I drove commercial out of De. and the company truck was registered in Indiana and most of the trailers and dollies were in Utah.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IF the sign says "ALL TRUCKS" it means "ALL TRUCKS" what part of "ALL TRUCKS" do you not understand? IF they only wanted commercial trucks, the sign would say "ALL COMMERCIAL TRUCKS".

Could be a farmer pulling an rv trailer using "Farm fuel" in his truck.

If he has a goat in the back he is legal.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Maybe in Canada, not the US of A.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Nah. Down here, that means he's headed to a wedding.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
With the bride in the back?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Not that some funny stuff there!!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #38

Seems to be a lot of lawyers on this forum.

Better to do your own research.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I guess You Missed the part about "State Trooper STANDING in the road with a STOP SIGN! Then VERBALY saying PULL IN for Check! Youroo!!
Of thirty years OTR driver I have never seen a trooper or motor carrier officer go after a pickup pulling a camper or a class a, even gray hound does not even stop at any scale house or for a fuel check so go ahead and pull in if you have the time to kill and get in the way
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Of thirty years OTR driver I have never seen a trooper or motor carrier officer go after a pickup pulling a camper or a class a, even gray hound does not even stop at any scale house or for a fuel check so go ahead and pull in if you have the time to kill and get in the way
I don't believe that for 30 years you could Avoid a Direct Order of a Law Officer! Yes I will "Make Time to Do as Ordered and get in the way" as You describe it! Youroo!!

Tags
diesel