Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Stopped for Diesel Road Fuel Inspection!

We really "Lucked Out" at a "Mandatory Truck Diesel Road Fuel Check"! All trucks were stopped and had to pull into a "Closed Weight Station" where they opened your fuel fill and submitted a 4' long TEST Strip! They really were NOT busy when we were there so I ask if the "Scales were on" they said yes and let us weight all our axles! This was in Montana,and the State Troopers were Very Helpful! Youroo!! PS total weight was "16,500 lbs"!

Old 09-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #2

Always wondered if they test trucks with rv's, out our way have never heard of it being done, really not worth saving a few cents at the pump if caught!!!!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Always wondered if they test trucks with rv's, out our way have never heard of it being done, really not worth saving a few cents at the pump if caught!!!!
I would guess the reason out here is the amount of "Moving Cities" in regards to the Wheat Harvest! They have EVERYTHING with them,Big RVs,food,fuel,water,repair parts,and it takes LOTs of FUEL for the Harvest Equip! So say a Big Rig that is pulling one of the Big RVs needs a Little fuel well I can see them using what they Have thus the "FUEL CHECKS" out here! Youroo!!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Youroo is correct, farmers usually do not have to pay "Road Taxes" on gas/diesel fuel used in tractors, combines, etc., but are not supposed to use that fuel in their trucks, thus, the states usually have the 'Road Fuel Checks'.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

Stopped for Diesel Road Fuel Inspection!

Just to give you an idea how it works in Indiana. We call it "farm fuel" or most places "off road fuel"

So pump diesel was $2.25 here this week. I bought 5000 gallon of "off road" fuel for $1.53. They strip all the road taxes out of it. Then the drop some dye in it to make it red.

So any equip we have that's used in the fields is run on "off road". Now our pick ups and any vehicles used to haul the equip to a job better have road fuel in it. Been a few years since they have had check points here.

But I agree with you youroo those harvest crews probably look for any way possible to save or make a little extra.

Russell
Old 09-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

It's very nice to gets free weight for your truck & trailer. But just remember if the cops check your weight against the plate by your drivers door & you're overweight your trailer WILL be staying with them.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

When the sign says "truck" it's referring to commercial trucks. RV's don't have to stop.
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

That's a first.. we use the red dye in Wisconsin also for farm equipment and other tax free users.. Have never seen them check ..
MacDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Around here I've only seen commercial trucks tested. The penalty for running off-road fuel is $10,000 fine. If you have a fleet, they go back to your yard and check all the registered diesel vehicles. For every other registered vehicle you get an additional fine.
Now Virginia will test and fine anyone, even a little old pickup not hauling anything. I have access to the off road but will never take that gamble. 10 g's is a lot of fuel.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
jammer 16

If your not licensed in the state that does the fuel checking I'm wondering what happened to the amendment against unreasonable search and seizure. I just can t see how they can search your vehicle without probable cause to believe you put untaxed.fuel in your Rv or tv. I have never seen a sign at a state line saying if you travel our roads you surrender your constitutional right of protection against unreasonable search and seizure.

rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel