Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Suggestions for Attractions in WA, OR, ID, and MT

We are signed up for a trip to Alaska next Summer. At the end of the tour we'll go on our own seeing a bit more in the US as we head home to New England. Not sure what to do and see in the states we will be driving through as we head east. So I'm hoping others who have good knowledge of the states listed might put their two cents in and help us decide. Thank you in advance.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

It might help folks to know what states you will be traveling through.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Seattle: Snoqualmie Falls, Deception Pass, many things depending on likes. Portland: Columbia River attractions.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Seattle: Snoqualmie Falls, Deception Pass, many things depending on likes. Portland: Columbia River attractions.

Spokane: Silverwood Amusement Park. Coeur d'alene, Idaho. Much. Have Fun⛺️

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #5

My gad, you could spend the entire summer out west and not see it all. Mt Rainer NP, Olympic Penisular, all of the Oregon coast, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens, Historic Timberline lodge. Most of the high desert region of central Oregon, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons. There are at least two months worth of sites for you to see.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
My gad, you could spend the entire summer out west and not see it all. Mt Rainer NP, Olympic Penisular, all of the Oregon coast, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens, Historic Timberline lodge. Most of the high desert region of central Oregon, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons. There are at least two months worth of sites for you to see.
We will have about 1 1/2 to 2 months so it would be the top picks of WA, OR, ID and MT. We plan on seeing Yelliwstone and Grand Tetons before meeting up and heading to AK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
We are signed up for a trip to Alaska next Summer. At the end of the tour we'll go on our own seeing a bit more in the US as we head home to New England. Not sure what to do and see in the states we will be driving through as we head east. So I'm hoping others who have good knowledge of the states listed might put their two cents in and help us decide. Thank you in advance.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

You want to do the Oregon coast north to south, then at Crecent City back into Oregon. Stop at Oregon caves, then up to Crater Lake. After Crater Lake east to US97 north stop and visit me at LaPine state park. Were camp hosting the north loop in June,July. If you get reservations pick middle loop. Its the best! South is good too, just a bit more crowded. North loop is water 20A electric only. More for tenters. There is several days of things to see and do around LaPine if you get there. From here you can contunie north on 97 to I90 and into Seattle, or cross over MtHood on US26 into Portland and I5 north to visit MtSt Helens.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
If you get to northern WA by July, don't forget the beautiful Lavender Festival in Squim WA
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #9

If you make it to Astoria, at the mouth of the Columbia River, The Maritime Museum is definitely a must-see.
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #10

Going through Montana..make time for Glacier Nat'l Park. Spectacular. Gotta get there before Labor day...or pass till next time.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #11

as for me,

Long Beach Peninsula in Washington has a 26 mile drive on the Beach and some of the 'Best Oysters' you can get, and the Columbia River Gorge drive and the Mount Hood Loop. Highway 101 from Long Beach, Washington south along the Oregon Coast to Eurika, California and the Red Wood Forests...just breath taking.
Old Drill SGT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #12

Don't have enough room on a post. Washington --- see the long beach area then tour on down to Portland and stop in Astoria.
Head northeast to Mountain Rainier National Park and Mt.
Saint Helens. Continue east to central Washington. Visit Grand Coolee Dam (Largest "dead weight" dam in US. Holds a 200 ft deep 150 mile long lake Also has highest hydropower generation capability in US)
Visit the Dry Falls area. Oh btw it gets hot in July Aug and Sept in Central Washington.
Continue east into Idaho, Montana Swing up to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons visit Cody, Wyoming explore the town and the massive museum there. Continue east to Sheridan and Billings see Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand) head east to Sturgis, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument.

That alone will take you more than a month or two and you would have just brushed the surface of things to see out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #13

NW Stops

I think the places that others have stated are great bets, you can't go wrong!
There lots to do in the west, your only limit will be not enough time.
Enjoy your trip!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

If you are driving through Oregon on Highway 84, on the outskirts of Baker City you can find the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. It has a large number of indoor displays, including a life sized diorama of a wagon train, with people, cattle, wagons, etc. The outdoor area has a walking trail that will lead you to an area where you can see the original ruts left by the actual wagon trains that went through the area on the way west. The town itself, (Baker City) also has tourist attractions, such as the Grand Geyser Hotel. Check them out on the web. Good place to stretch your legs and get off the highway for a while.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
Always Learning

We didn't do a lot in any of these states, but were recently in ID, WA, and OR:

ID - Craters of the Moon was an incredibly highlight for us. We loved the park and exploring the lava. We also went to Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls- the water flow was low, so it wasn't super impressive. We went to an Ice Cave in the area that was just ho-hum. If you can do some off-road trail driving (nothing intense), we took a BEAUTIFUL drive in Picabo, ID that ultimately landed us on some BLM forest roads.

WA - we basically made a beeline for Seattle. The Space Needle was very cool. The Museum of Pop Culture was interesting. We had a great dinner in the city. Snoqualmie Falls were beautiful and an easy hike (if you drove between the 2 parking lots).

South of there, we stopped at Mt. Saint Helens park and visited 2 visitor's centers. This was pretty incredible as this fascinated me as a child.

OR - we spent some time in Bend. The Lava Butte, Lava Caves, and the Big Obsidian Flow were all incredible. Spend some time floating the Deschutes River. We floated the Little Deschutes River from our campground and really enjoyed it. Over on the coast, we spent some time in Depoe Bay and watched for whales from shore and the visitor's center there. Otherwise, we milled around the little town of Lincoln City; cute place.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
D W

The Pacific Northwest has many, many sites to see! Not knowing your tastes makes it hard to recommend anything, but there is something for everyone's taste. I would caution you that many of the sites in WA and OR are big RV destinations. State Parks normally allow reservations to be made at least 6-9 months in advance and spots fill-up fast. This past season wildfires ran throughout OR, WA, MT, Canada and into AK. Wildfires are typical in the summer months, but this past year was really bad. As such, burn bans (no campfires), were in effect and air quality was often bad. In Glacier NP, The Road To The Sun was closed for two weeks due to the Sprague MT fire. Probably best to do your own search with your personal desires, then map your route.

One thing I will advise you on, if traveling the Alaska HWY, plan on at least 1 or 2 days to clean-up your rig when you reach the northern terminus of the HWY at Delta Junction. You will find dirt, dust and mud in places you didn't know you had. Whether you head on into Fairbanks, or cut south to Anchorage, you will have to clean-up. The same holds true on your return when you arrive at Dawson Creek, BC. Most of all, don't be in a hurry. That HWY will eat you up.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:20 AM   #17

Washington

In addition to the other great places, you might visit the Museum of Flight at Bowing Field, Tour at Boeing, Everett, the Chahule Glass Museum in Tacoma, Friday Harbor and othe San Juan Islands.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
DW's 401(k) Plan

Personally, if I were going to be out in the PNW, a side trip over to Vancouver Island would be on my list. Victoria is a beautiful city - lots to see and do. And a trip up from Victoria to Butchart Gardens would be a must. Back in Washington, the Cascade Loop through Winthrop down to Wenatchee and over to Leavenworth provide some great sights including Lake Chelan.
All the other suggestions are also sound. Just figured I would throw these two out. Did them several years ago by car - would love to take more time and do them with the RV.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Personally, if I were going to be out in the PNW, a side trip over to Vancouver Island would be on my list. Victoria is a beautiful city - lots to see and do. And a trip up from Victoria to Butchart Gardens would be a must. Back in Washington, the Cascade Loop through Winthrop down to Wenatchee and over to Leavenworth provide some great sights including Lake Chelan.
All the other suggestions are also sound. Just figured I would throw these two out. Did them several years ago by car - would love to take more time and do them with the RV.
Definitely look into a jaunt over the north cascade hwy. 20.to Winthrop. Or hwy 9 to see Leavenworth outside Wenatchee. Beautiful [emoji7]
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #20

Definitely Glacier NP before the glaciers have melted. Both sides of the park are awesome and we camped at Many Glacier and also on the west side. T. Roosevelt NP is great with bison roaming thru the campsites. If you are not in a hurry consider driving Rte 2 back east.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote