Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Professional Texan
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
Inks Lake State Park is my favorite in the Hill Country. Park Road 4 is a beautiful drive. Longhorn Caverns State Park is right there, too. The play "Texas" mentioned above in Palo Duro Canyon is a must see; it doesn't start until June 2nd., so hopefully, you're planning a long trip. Have a safe trip!
Inks Lake! I love it.

Inks Lake State Park - Burnet County, Texas

Texas Bob
2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 Z71
2013 Prime Time Tracer Executive 2640 RLS

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #12
Since your a Pastor and you only work 2 days a year you might be interested in the Painted churches of Texas.

The Painted Churches of Texas

DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
If you're going to Palo Duro you need to run up to the Big Texan to eat. Yeah I know it's stupid but you'll be able to say you did.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
Plan to spend at least three days in Big Bend NP. With your rig make reservations at Rio Grande Village. I lived in Alpine for four years and I know it is a long way down there and back. Plan to drive (no TT) to the Basin and to Santa Elena Canyon. In Alpine visit the Museum of the Big Bend at Sul Ross S.U. and also visit Ft. Davis. Just west of El Paso is Huecho Tanks SP. Very interesting. From there don't miss Guadalupe Mountains NP. If you are in shape take a hike to the top of Guadalupe Peak. Highest in Texas.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Don't forget to check out the Corp. of Engineer campgrounds. They are almost always located near some really nice lakes and will not be crowded in the timeframe that you are considering.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #16
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
We left home on May 6 of this year and spent 5 days in the Fredericksburg area the to Big Bend. Three nights on the east side and then moved to the west side at Terlingua. The east side park Rio Grande Village RV Campground has Wi-Fi at the laundry room. The Big Bend Resort and Adventures RV and Big Bend Resort & Adventures RV Park & Campground (Big Bend Motor Inn) at Terlingua are both the same park. Although it says no cable at this park there is cable to the motel rooms and I found a cable hookup box when connecting utilities. I hooked my cable wire to it and it does work. Be sure to visit Lajita's and Pershings Crossing.

We then went to Ft. Davis and cable is at this park and internet connect can be had if you are close to the bath house. Four nights there and it view of the sky at night is incredible. Close to McDonald Observatory. If you go to Ft. Davis be sure to take the switch back road (no campers) to the top of the mountain and cell phone coverage and incredible views. We then went to Palo Duro but did not stay in the park. The theater at Palo Duro starts in June so we were a few days early. Stayed in Amarillo and ate at the Big Texan. Incredible Filet. There is a free RV Museum at the local RV dealership.

Coming from the east we spent the night in Marathon at a neat little park called
Marathon Motel and RV Park. P.A. rate for $13 with full hook ups and cable. We then went to Big Bend the next morning.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #17
Some of the best wildflower viewing in the Burnet and Llano county is to begin your trip west on Hwy 29 at Buchanan Dam drive into the town of Llano, have a meal at Coopers BBQ, then take Hwy 16 to RR 2323, turn right. That road will take you on a nice and easy drive through the Hill Country, it will intersect with HWY 87, turn left towards Fredericksburg, pay close attention and take a right on Old Mason Road, very nice drive that loops back into HWY 87. Turn right to go into Fredericksburg. Lots to see and do there, great town. Leave Fredericksburg on HWY 16, passing Enchanted Rock State Park (day trip in itself) going back into Llano. Just before the town of Llano take a right onto HWY 71 going towards Austin. About 9 miles take a left on Ranch Road 306, crossing the Llano River at the Kingsland Slab and turns into Ranch Road 3404, take a left on Ranch Road 1431, you taken back to HWY 29, turning right takes you back to the Buchanan Dam area.
Brippley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #18
Originally Posted by jrmartin67 View Post
Greetings, intrepid travelers! We're doing some uncharacteristically early planning for the spring of 2016. We plan to leave the week after Easter (I am a pastor, after all, and they seem to want me to show up Christmas and Easter) and camp through the Texas hill country for wildflowers, then head to Big Bend National Park, then mosey up the western part of our 2nd biggest state, hit Palo Duro Canyon, and loop back home to the Gulf Coast (south of Houston). We're towing a 35' 2011 V-Lite with a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost tricked out for max towing (we've done a longer, harder trip with this TV with a bigger, heavier TT so I know it will do it. Hensley Arrow hitch made it possible!). Any counsel on campgrounds (we like state parks), sights not to miss, etc.? Thanks in advance, and happy trails to you all!
Spent two weeks in Big Bend last winter loved almost 150 miles to closest Walmart. They have a state park and a commercial park I would fill my gas tank at Marathon and then when leaving go out through Alpine. The road are in good shape. Only thing temperature will really heat up quick better check average temperature the you run AC in the winter there.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #19
Unfortunately Texas State Parks don't allow you to select a specific site when reserving. Not a factor if you aren't familiar with the park anyway. If you are venturing through central Texas, Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) has many nice, well maintained, parks,. As does the already mentioned Army Corp of Engineers parks. Both LCRA and Corp parks usually have good spacing between sites.
cap10gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Thanks everyone for the great counsel. We'll begin charting our course straightaway.

jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote