Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Wanna Be Camper

The Final countdown has begun

Finally on the last week before our adventure 2011 begins. Friday 0600 off to Hardin MT for Custer's Last Stand Reinactment on sat. Then leave on sunday for Devils Tower WY, Sturgis then Hill City SD for 6 days at the KOA Resort and finally back to Bismark ND for the 4th of July then home on the 5th. The truck has been in for service and I changed out front and rear brake pads, adj the trailer brakes and fixed the bottom lip of the bedroom slide as it was flopping around also protected all the brake wiring with some loom covering, did a major rework of our hitch to get the trailer sitting a bit more level as well. Plugged the trailer in yesterday and the DW has started final packing and check lists for tools etc. Just need to grease the axles this week and we are ready. Look out USA we're a coming.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

Sounds like a fantastic trip!

My children still have another week of school, so our trip East is still another week off.

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

It is going to be an adventure for sure. We have to start off going through Lethbridge and then south as the roads south through Scobey and I94 are not good. I94 is closed in one place for a mud slide. So we are going pretty much by the hour checking things out right now.

John & Deb
Old 06-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #4

We've stayed at the Wallyworld in Lethbridge several times when passing through.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We've stayed at the Wallyworld in Lethbridge several times when passing through.

Thats where we are planning on staying as well.

John & Deb
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Finally on the last week before our adventure 2011 begins. Friday 0600 off to Hardin MT for Custer's Last Stand Reinactment on sat. Then leave on sunday for Devils Tower WY, Sturgis then Hill City SD for 6 days at the KOA Resort and finally back to Bismark ND for the 4th of July then home on the 5th. The truck has been in for service and I changed out front and rear brake pads, adj the trailer brakes and fixed the bottom lip of the bedroom slide as it was flopping around also protected all the brake wiring with some loom covering, did a major rework of our hitch to get the trailer sitting a bit more level as well. Plugged the trailer in yesterday and the DW has started final packing and check lists for tools etc. Just need to grease the axles this week and we are ready. Look out USA we're a coming.
You posted a while back that you went from a Reese Dual Cam to a Blue Ox hitch,because of prob.setting up hitch on the V-Nose trailer. Now you are adjusting the Blue Ox? Is it too high for the trailer to be level? I had to make a (LONG) shank for my D/C to achieve this. Youroo!!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You posted a while back that you went from a Reese Dual Cam to a Blue Ox hitch,because of prob.setting up hitch on the V-Nose trailer. Now you are adjusting the Blue Ox? Is it too high for the trailer to be level? I had to make a (LONG) shank for my D/C to achieve this. Youroo!!
Ya I felt the nose of the trailer was just a bit too high so We put another hole in the shank and welded a piece of key stock to the end for the locking screw to sit against (nice to have a friend that is a machinest / welder). It allowed the hitch to be dropped one more inch which gives me some room to play with bar setup and ball angle which in turn gave me a better weight distribution between the front and back of the truck. It was real stable going to Ontario last summer with the load we had but a couple other times felt squirley so this should cure it. I liked the Dual Cam and if I could have got away with using a shank like the Blue Ox probably would have kept it as they work very well too and it would have saved me a bunch of $$$.

John & Deb
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

have a great trip and take lots of pictures!!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Well day one was completed. 12 1/2 hours start to finish as we started after it rained all night so ended up having to wash the mud off the truck and trailer prior to leaving town. First time across the border and never got arrested so that was good even though we had to go back to the Canadian border office to claim our laptops etc (long story for another day) the US border guards got a laugh out of us newbies. Very interestingly our mileage went from 7.2 to 8.4 almost immediately on entering the US go figure. I have to say Montana is beautiful once yet get away from the praries which look the same everywhere. Sure is nice to pay $3.80 a gallon for fuel vs the $4.80 at home. So today is Custer's last stand in sunny 80 degree weather and some sight seeing.
Also gotta say after my tweaks to the hitch, man that V-Lite pulled like it was on rails. Even with cross winds I could feel it in the truck but the trailer never so much as flinched and driving on I94 at 62mph I got blown by by a number of Semi's that were probably running way over 70 and not a twitch at all, it was truely a one handed drive.

John & Deb
Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
So today is Custer's last stand in sunny 80 degree weather and some sight seeing.
Our plan is to come through this area on the way back from our trip East (3 weeks from now). I would really appreciate any details you can share or suggestions that might make it more enjoyable.

Previously we've just gone straight South and not headed East in Montana, so any insight is welcome. I can't wait for our trip to start (which happens when school is finished).