Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Tips after 5 months on the road, getting home today.

We have been on the road for 5 months and are getting home today in Sun City Center, Florida. These are notes I made to myself with some geared to a Trailmanor and maybe will help others. We have been traveling in a Trailmanor, but have a NTU Forest River SP 189.

We travel almost 15000 miles per year with kids in Michigan, Ohio, and Los Angeles and us living in Florida. We will head to Ohio in May and June and then back on the road in October to April to California. We rent our house to snowbirds which more than pays for our travels and put money in our pocket with no expense from the house, Taxes, Insurance, and the rest. Great way to provide a way to travel cheap especially if you are in an area where there is a high demand for snowbirds.
Tricks of the Traveling for 5 months on the road.

Republicwireless hooked up to the computer with pda.net has really been great since we have not had wifi a lot of the places we were camping. I do not know of a cell phone any cheaper. Check it out.

Thousand Trails with zonecamping has been a deal. We always get two zones for the price of one. Stayed over 100 nights this past year.

Passport America works in finding campgrounds for a quick overnight. Be sure to read restrictions.

Check RVparkreviews so you have some idea about the park. We have overnighted in some real dumps.

Quartzite was fun. We stayed at Split Rail ($18 per night). Plan on being there during RV show in January.

Do not over pack, we brought too many clothes.

Bring your own laundry supplies, lot cheaper

Bathroom scale, watch your weight, eat at home.

A place for everything and every a place and everyone knows where to look.

We used the wardrobe to help separate living areas to give us some down time away from each other.

Walk, Walk, Walk, Need to get exercise. We also play tennis and do so when possible.

Able to download books from Overdrive audio books through our library. I must have listen to 25 books. Also in the car when on the road.

Able to get some good books through kindle Amazon free.

Only time we carried extra water if we were staying at Walmart overnight. Otherwise no, do not want the extra weight.

Make sure the Tow Vehicle is big enough to pull the mountains. We were marginal and bought another TV.

Headphones are critical for sanity.

We had TV on front table and I also ran a TV in the bedroom so we could have two separate TV's going.

We use a Dish network 722 with two receiver inputs. We do not watch the same programs and it also let you download to the DVR,

Pickle ball is big at some of the Thousand Trails, but we play tennis. Get exercise if at all possible.

We play bridge and found a ACBL that we could play with.

We ran the refrigerator while traveling on propane.

Next year, we are going to take two batteries out of golf cart and bring them with an inverter which we all ready have.

We brought two generators, Not next year, Only one, Don't need A/C

Buddy Heater worked great.

3 space heaters was necessary a few nights. One night was 14 degrees and we ran all heaters along with Buddy Heater.

Clothes for summer and winter. 80 degree days in Florida before we got home.

National Park pass is needed if your old enough.

Make certain you bring enough tools to make repairs.

We packed a lunch on high mile travel days. I try to stay away from fast food as much as possible.

Dogs, we bring a cage for each and put them in it when we left them which was not very much. Bring their medicine, heart worm,

Overnight at Walmart of anytime quick in and out, we did not put down the stabilizers.

Be able to set up quick and tear down quick. When we stayed 2 weeks at one campground, we would get everything out.

Coffee, We are big coffee drinkers, bring Stanley Thermos for car and we liked our old electric perk maker best. Be sure to bring stove top perker so you can put on gas burner in TM.

Ice cubes, we like ice and keep one tray to freeze overnight in freezer. and another ready to put in the car while traveling.

We keep cold water in the refrig to cool overnight. Old 1 ltr bottle.

Keep water in cooler in car when traveling.

We brought and used an electric blanket.

Crock pot.

Rules of the road. Limit to 250 miles between overnight stops and stay minimum of two days.

Hope this helps someone.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #2

Thanks for the good info, sounds like a trip I wont to take.
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #3

What a wonderful well thoughtout list. It will save me some time in prepping for our time on the road. Enjoy your down time.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

Well thought out list. Will definitely remember your list when I get ready for my trip next fall. Planning on traveling the coastal route from Ontario to the Canadian maritime provinces the US eastern seaboard, gulf coast, and the Pacific coast to Vancouver B.C.