Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

To travel with water tanks filled or not?

We need some advice. We have owned our 24 ft Forrest River Sunseeker for 3 months now, using it locally twice so far. We are traveling from GA to CO, taking 4 days to get there. Do we travel with our water tank full or not? We'll be towing a Jeep Wrangler and stopping in random places along the way (with no hookups). Need some advice.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
We need some advice. We have owned our 24 ft Forrest River Sunseeker for 3 months now, using it locally twice so far. We are traveling from GA to CO, taking 4 days to get there. Do we travel with our water tank full or not? We'll be towing a Jeep Wrangler and stopping in random places along the way (with no hookups). Need some advice.
When we travel, we always have at least 1/2 tank of water (how else can you use the bathroom?

Since you will be wild camping (Boondocking) I would recommend a full tank.

BTW, welcome to the Forest River Forums from Huntsville, AL!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

I travel with at least an 1/2 tank and also a couple of gallon jugs of water. Some of the pilot/flying j stations have rv pumps with water and dump. The ohio turnpike also has rv sites for overnights and water and dump.
Safe travels!
Debbie
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

We keep our tank full when it's stored in our yard cause we live in earthquake country so when we travel it is usually full.

Andrew

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #5

For my initial post on this forum, this has been a great experience. Your advice is so helpful. I'm so new at RVing that I can't help anyone yet, but soon I hope to return the favor. Happy travels!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #6

To travel with water tanks filled or not?

We always travel with full tanks. We never know where we are going to stay. Walmart, flying j, cracker Barrel. If we know that we will have water at a certain point--then maybe not 100% full ?? But always plenty of water.

The only reason not to would be for the extra weight causing more fuel ?? I don't check fuel mileage often so full water for me.

And welcome to the forum.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

I always travel with a full freshwater tank. No problems yet. There have been a few isolated stories on here about water tanks falling out but those are very rare. If the weight of the water is not putting you near your cargo capacity limit go for it. You never know when there might be a power outage at your destination and the campground pump doesn't work.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Always travel with full tanks, empty it before we come home. Don't care for well water. Have been 'burned' at more than one state park that had "no fresh water available" signs. Plus, the water filter lasts years, instead of just one season. Water heater happier, too, with less minerals to remove. My anode rod is on it's 4-5th season. Before that, they'd only last us a year.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Ditto to the above. Travel with at least 1/3 for toilet and dink use if next destination had water. I fill up the tank if I know there will be no water available. I have great tasting Sierra water at home so I always bring gallon jugs of it with me. If the fresh water tank runs dry, it can also be used for the sink or flushing.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

This weekend, I learned a lesson. Even if I'm going to a park with water, I will fill my tank, partially for the way there and top them off when I get there!

We arrived on Thursday afternoon and everything was going great until Friday when a weather system shifted and unexpectedly gave us more bite than it was supposed to. Knocked power out to the campground where they run off of well water. Had never thought of what I would do for a day if I had NO water. The campground bathrooms were all backed up because they had no water to flush too, so using their facilities was out. Fortunately for me, while I was putting my usual 10 gallons in for roadside potty breaks, I got sidetracked and ended up with 3/4 of a tank of fresh water. I was the only one around that had enough water to cook and do dishes after dinner. Luckily, the power was only out a few hours. Not sure what I would have done if it had gone into the coming days like the towns nearby.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

We travel with fresh water tank 1/3 full or slightly more (can't trust those gauges). We make "pit" stops about every two hours. Just remember a gallon of water weighs eight pounds so carrying a tankful of 40 gallons would mean your towing an additional 320 pounds!
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymedic View Post
We travel with fresh water tank 1/3 full or slightly more (can't trust those gauges). We make "pit" stops about every two hours. Just remember a gallon of water weighs eight pounds so carrying a tankful of 40 gallons would mean your towing an additional 320 pounds!
I thought about that when I was trying to decide if I should let some out or not......the irony of my situation was that even carrying all the extra water, I got the best mileage I've ever seen out of my Ram and this camper.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #13

We did on our last trailer when the fresh water tank was close to the axle. On our new 2701SS it's right at the front; pulling with a full tank you can really feel the weight. So we'll be travelling with a bit in there for bathroom use and will fill up at the park.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tank, travel, water, water tank