Old 07-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

We gave up on the Garmin type GPS units. To inaccurate and too many updates to stay current. Now we just use google maps on our phones/tablets, and double check unknown (to us) routes to ensure we can take our rig there. Much easier and more accurate.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #12

I can tell you from our experience that GPS units are great in towns and cities but sometimes worthless in the boonies. We have been in areas where GPS would not work and cell phones would not work. So I would suggest maps and good directional ability with a compass. GPS alone will get u into trouble. We had it sending us down a gravel road in Northern MT to who knows where. After a couple of miles I turned it off and found where I wanted to go by my own directional ability. GPS will send u out of the way and if you are not in a hurry no problem it will eventually get u where u want to go 95% of the time. But don't give up your maps and study time because u will be disappointed in the GPS in the end.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #13

To those who use maps instead of GPS units......... map data and gps data come from the same place. Due to printing delays, maps are way behind the times.

Orange barrels are proliferate in the U.S. (In Canada, are they ourange barrels? LOL). That means roads change. Exits change. That's why I like the Garmin LMT models. (Lifetime Maps and Traffic). I can update it, connected to the computer, while I'm doing something else, and it is up to date. No map I buy is ever going to be up to date.

And although it may lead me on weird roads, if I follow it, it always gets me there.......even in places I've never been.

And the one built in to my truck is better than nothing........but not very robust. It won't go anywhere, cause it's too hard to input a destination.....sometimes impossible for some addresses. It grays out 1/2 the keyboard, reasons unknown.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

We are using a regular Garmin for now, but the Garmin RV760LMT is on my wishlist at Amazon. In addition to the GPS, we always carry the current year Rand/McNally Atlas. Yes, it may be slightly out-of-date, but it is better than nothing for those times we lost satellite and/or cell service.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #15

I primarily use a Garmin RV 760 with the free maps and traffic. I also use the advanced traffic that is updated more frequently than the free stuff, and the Weather feature. These two advanced services require a smart phone with internet service and a bluetooth link to the GPS. With the weather, it will give you a moving radar image on one screen and can show a number of local weather advisories or advisories along your route. one time we were notified of a storm that carried a tornado watch with it, so we decided we were done for the night, parked it and went safely on our way the next day.

Will a trucker or RV type GPS route you down some odd less direct routes, YES, because it is trying to map you on roads rated for your length, weight, and height. Some roads don't have data associated with them so the routing will ignore those roads in the main route calculations. Just like you have to get a new map every year, you should look to update your GPS maps as often as possible. I think Garmin is on a quarterly cycle for updates these days. Pull that update down over a dedicated WIFI system and not via a your phone or a myfi because these updates are many GBs.

Should you scout your route with a paper map, or google maps, absolutely as you may see details or destinations that your GPS route may totally avoid. The RV centric GPS will have truck stops as native points of interest, which can be more friendly to a truck with a bigger trailer. We also augment this with brochures from the truck stops like Flying J and Loves that cater to or have RV lanes and dump stations, which make the running and gunning days a lot easier to do.

Also as the GPS is a piece of electronics which runs code that humans wrote, it will also need code updates. So make sure you keep on top of those as well, just like updating the apps on your phone.

So far I have not encountered an in dash system that can match the ease of use of my Garmin. I can even give it voice commands and it works about 90% of the time.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #16

I have a Magellan 9250TLBM 7" unit w wireless backup camera,lifetime maps, Bluetooth phone, traffic avoidance software. Very happy w unit.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

We have a Legacy Coach and a Crv toad and are on the road most of the year We never follow gps blindly. One of us drives and the other navigates . We use iMaps and Google maps on our iPad . Our iPad has a phone number and access to Internet through our att plan. Some gps systems are difficult to see the whole route it is taking you. The night before travel we pick the best route option for us on iMaps & google maps . Often the night before I will follow the route on Google satellite checking roads. We also screen shot the directions in case we lose att connection. And we have an atlas if technology fails. Also Alstays truck & Rv app alerts us to low clearance areas. Sounds like more work to navagate this way but our rig's and our safety is worth it. My favorite blog is Technomadia.com. Full timers for many years with loads of travel advise. Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
To those who use maps instead of GPS units......... map data and gps data come from the same place. Due to printing delays, maps are way behind the times.

Orange barrels are proliferate in the U.S. (In Canada, are they ourange barrels? LOL). That means roads change. Exits change. That's why I like the Garmin LMT models. (Lifetime Maps and Traffic). I can update it, connected to the computer, while I'm doing something else, and it is up to date. No map I buy is ever going to be up to date.

And although it may lead me on weird roads, if I follow it, it always gets me there.......even in places I've never been.

And the one built in to my truck is better than nothing........but not very robust. It won't go anywhere, cause it's too hard to input a destination.....sometimes impossible for some addresses. It grays out 1/2 the keyboard, reasons unknown.
I wonder if they made an update from 15-16. My Silverado nav is very accurate, and I have only had one problem with an address, and google couldn't find it either. (I was upset that my '13 Silverado would accept GPS coordinates, and the '15 will not. I used to use GPS coordinates for campgrounds.)

As for the grayed out keyboard, that could be due to nothing available in your local area. (Manual does not really define "local area.")

For example, if I am traveling from where I live in ID to 1234 HERMAN St in Cody WY, and I attempt to punch in 1234 Herman street, and there is no 1234 HERMAN st that is considered "local," but there is a 1234 HERMOSA, after I have typed in 1234 HERM it will gray out AN (as well as possibly other letters) but OSA will be available.However, if I type in the complete address of *** Herman Street, CODY WY, it will search to CODY WY vs. local. It fools me sometimes but once I make sure to type in the city/state all is well.

So, if I am looking for something local it saves having to type in my city and state. However, for trips outside the "local area," I have to type in the city/state.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #19

I like the Good Sam trip planner too...but not enough to buy their GPS ! Garmin here too.
Suggest you may like the $35/year trip wizard for planning you can download to Garmin and others.
I also use the $10 copilot app as backup to GPS and Google maps...let's you store maps on you phone and saves data charges...you can enter routes etc....good luck!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #20

GPS

I use a regular Garmin nuvi on the road and am planning on Garmin rv760. If you only want to use your smart phone, and not use a lot of data, download OsmAnd - Offline Mobile Maps and Navigation. The app cost a little to buy but the maps are free and you can download the states and countries you want. I use it on my phone when biking or hiking even if there is no service and best of all not using data.

Tags
travel