Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Make sure you have a pen and some paper to write down all the "geez i wish I'd brought that" items.
LOL, we have already started that notebook. I've been going through all the technical side of things with the trailer and the wife has been writing down model numbers, fuse types, bulb types, tire size, etc. along with essential items needed. I've also gone through all of the owners manuals and highlighting what my exact model numbers are so I don't have to look up what my exact water heater or frig is (saw that idea from another user here). That way we have everything in one handy place. Hopefully it makes any unplanned emergencies or just maintenance shopping that much easier.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_ View Post
Thanks for the info. I should be good on the waste and supply hoses. I bought both the 50-30 amp and 20-30 amp adapters, so I should be covered no mater what the hookups are.

Does Grizzly park have a pool? The KOA at the west entrance of Yellowstone does, which may be a good time killer for the middle of the day with two kids. Has anyone stayed at the KOA? The reviews seem solid.
Hi Nate- We did a similar trip back in 2013. We went to Jellystone close to Estes Park. It was a great park, had a pool and we enjoyed Colorado. From there we went to Yellowstone, stayed at the KOA, the pool is inside and wonderful. The campground was great, make sure you spend as much time in Yellowstone as possible. There is so much to see, we had 4 full days, did a lot of driving and I second Lamar Valley, tons of Bison, etc. From there we went to Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore and then the Badlands. You are going to have a great time!

'04 Chevy Suburban Z71
tripletdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #13

Go out and have fun. Figure out how everything works now. Figure out where the stores are that you can get camping supplies (always need an extra length of sewer hose or a wrong connector). Do some dry camping to make sure everything functions or how it works (nothing like getting to some far out campground, getting setup and then find out there is no local water hook up and have to go fill up the FW tank).
When We camped with our kids (many moons ago), they always seemed to make friends at the campgrounds and found things to do. Always bored when out exploring the areas.
Count on rain storms/hail storms around Estes Park (do not leave awnings out when your out exploring has hail ways a lot)
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #14

Any suggestions on which highways to stick too for either Estes or Yellowstone to avoid steep grades?
Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #15

If you are coming from the east there are no steep grades to worry about to Estes Park. Going west from Estes Park (through Rocky Mountain Park) will be steep, but you will not probably go that direction. Probably go from Estes Park back to I25 through Wyoming. Do not remember any steep grades to Yellowstone that way.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
Site Team

Spruce Lake RV park in Estes Park is nice, close to town and has stocked lake, playground, pool, small river and putt putt. Stayed there 4 times since 2006.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #17

If going to Yellowstone and you have some extra time drive the Beartooth Highway, it is awesome, 10,976ft elevation. 14A outside of Powell WY is about the same but Beartooth is prettier

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Former Newbies

Congratulation on your new adventure. Everything will come together over time. We made lists and my wife (Deb) would make me go through each step before we could move to the next. And it helped us avoid some dumb mistakes.

The two things I don't see much is a reference to the trailer tire rating. My 32' 5er is rated C and that is a 50 mph limit. Also I have 4000 lb rated axels. When you start to compute your weight limit remember that the sticker on the side of the unit is probably pretty close to the max weight you can add over and above the dry weight. Any of course, water weight, whether black, grey or fresh is 7 lbs a gallon and goes against your contents weight Gas too.

I drive mine at 50 mph and we aren't in a hurry usually. When I buy new tires I'll probably go up to D rated. I'm lucky to get 8 mpg so going 50 isn't a big deal. Good luck.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacdan45 View Post
Congratulation on your new adventure. Everything will come together over time. We made lists and my wife (Deb) would make me go through each step before we could move to the next. And it helped us avoid some dumb mistakes.

The two things I don't see much is a reference to the trailer tire rating. My 32' 5er is rated C and that is a 50 mph limit. Also I have 4000 lb rated axels. When you start to compute your weight limit remember that the sticker on the side of the unit is probably pretty close to the max weight you can add over and above the dry weight. Any of course, water weight, whether black, grey or fresh is 7 lbs a gallon and goes against your contents weight Gas too.

I drive mine at 50 mph and we aren't in a hurry usually. When I buy new tires I'll probably go up to D rated. I'm lucky to get 8 mpg so going 50 isn't a big deal. Good luck.
I did better than I expected. Pulling it back from Wisconsin, running around 70 mph, I averaged 11 mpg, I normally get 18. If it wasn't for the random trailer sway, I wouldn't have really noticed it back there. I do think I will pick up a weight distribution hitch with sway control. It pulled pretty straight, so I don't think I will need to go so high dollar on the sway control.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If going to Yellowstone and you have some extra time drive the Beartooth Highway, it is awesome, 10,976ft elevation. 14A outside of Powell WY is about the same but Beartooth is prettier

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
100% agree. Beautiful drive.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, travel