Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Travel advice for a first timer

Hi all. I've been reading these forums for about the past month trying to get as much info as possible before our camper purchase. Ended up going with Wildwood 26bhxl. The DW and I are planning our next few summers of trips and could use some advice.

For our first outing we are going to Cooper Creek in Branson for the weekend. I've gone through everything, setting up and breaking down just to get the hang of it. We should be ready. But for next summer we are planning to go to Estes Park and the following summer (2018) spending a week or two in Yellowstone. We have two kids under 8, so activities for them is important.

My tow vehicle is a 2014 F150, v8, with tow package. But I don't want to be pulling up steep grades over a long distance if easily avoidable. We are thinking of staying at Jellystone in Estes Park, and Grizzly RV park at the west entrance of Yellowstone.

The main reason we are planning so far out is our entire family will be going, with some who live out of state. So some people will need lodging vs. a camper. Plus getting schedules in line takes far out planning.

Any tips on routes or places to stay/things to do would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #2

We just booked our first trip for this weekend! Don't have any advice as we're in the same boat but just wanted to say whatever you do - have fun, laugh at yourself and just take it all in stride. Life is a journey!

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #3

We went to Yellowstone last year. Stopped at badlands mt Rushmore, devils tower and little big horn battlefield on the way out. Then grand Teton. Stayed at grizzly, it was a great park. Plan your trip around Yellowstone, the park is huge and a lot of driving. You can spend weeks there and never see everything. We loved the grand canyon of Yellowstone and the wild west dinner. We saw abundant wildlife in the Lamar valley. It is a great trip!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #4

Do you have all the accessories? Leveling blocks, not all campsites are level. Extra 25' of drinking water hose, sometimes the water is a little far away, extra 10' or 20' of sewer hose? 50amp to 30amp dogbone adapter?
When you hook up the electric make sure the circuit breaker is turned off before you plug in and turn the circuit breaker off before you unplug. When you hook up the water, run the water for a minute or so to clear any stagnate water or sediment that may be in the water line. As time goes on you will be able to get all the tools you need.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
We went to Yellowstone last year. Stopped at badlands mt Rushmore, devils tower and little big horn battlefield on the way out. Then grand Teton. Stayed at grizzly, it was a great park. Plan your trip around Yellowstone, the park is huge and a lot of driving. You can spend weeks there and never see everything. We loved the grand canyon of Yellowstone and the wild west dinner. We saw abundant wildlife in the Lamar valley. It is a great trip!
How long In advance do you have to book to guarante to have a spot? Do you recommend staying outside of Yellowstone in an RV park or one of the state/gov parks?
Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #6

We went late August and September after busy season so was not a problem getting reservation if going in summer months I would reserve early

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Do you have all the accessories? Leveling blocks, not all campsites are level. Extra 25' of drinking water hose, sometimes the water is a little far away, extra 10' or 20' of sewer hose? 50amp to 30amp dogbone adapter?
When you hook up the electric make sure the circuit breaker is turned off before you plug in and turn the circuit breaker off before you unplug. When you hook up the water, run the water for a minute or so to clear any stagnate water or sediment that may be in the water line. As time goes on you will be able to get all the tools you need.
Thanks for the info. I should be good on the waste and supply hoses. I bought both the 50-30 amp and 20-30 amp adapters, so I should be covered no mater what the hookups are.

Does Grizzly park have a pool? The KOA at the west entrance of Yellowstone does, which may be a good time killer for the middle of the day with two kids. Has anyone stayed at the KOA? The reviews seem solid.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_ View Post
The DW and I
Who is "DW"? I assume it means your wife - I've seen this posted before but can't figure out the acronym.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSNewbie View Post
Who is "DW"? I assume it means your wife - I've seen this posted before but can't figure out the acronym.
I suppose it could be either Dear Wife, or Dumb Wife depending...
Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
Site Team

Make sure you have a pen and some paper to write down all the "geez i wish I'd brought that" items.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, travel