Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
edit: State Road Laws | RV Trip Wizard™ | RV Trip Wizard Inc.
Then I'd check state code for applicable states to verify.
This is pretty much what I was looking for. Didn't think it would drum up this response count! But thank you for all the thoughts!

Either way, I was just inquiring because I get asked this ALL the time when I talk about our long trips with friends and family. I knew there were states that allowed it, but just didn't know which ones.

Believe me, my DW would be hard pressed to ride in the 5'r let alone allow the kids to do it. But I am sure one day the idea will come up, and its good to be prepared.

My parents used to do it with my older brothers and sisters many many years ago. They used to tell me the funny stories about it...and how they had a communication system wired up for it.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
Old 01-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #42
Site Team

My in-laws tried it once with a fiver. Him driving, her trying to nap off a headache. They decided that walkie talkies would allow easy communication on the road. About 3 minutes down the road, he says "I heard this awful, screeching, unintelligible screaming come over the radio. I couldn't understand a word of it, but the meaning was very clear."
You ought to hear father-in-law tell it. Lol

Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #43

Lets add this...

With a slide in truck camper, if it (truck and camper) has a pass through window between the truck and camper, riding in the camper is permissible, at least in this state and you can buy an inflatable seal that goes between the truck and the camper. In our old Lance, my wife fixed dinner or napped numerous times going down the road, unlike Lucy with stuff flying around. My new Palomino, you cannot because it's a retractable top but it still came with the pass-through window. Some do and some don't.

In a pull behind, no way.

I'll nuke up some popcorn and stand by for comments.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #44
Insert witty title here

Safety aside, it doesn't look at all comfortable. First off, my TT is virtually unsuable with the slides closed. Just about the only thing you could use is the front bedroom. You can't open the bathroom door or the fridge. You can't watch TV without shore power. Except for the small air conditioned compartment I set up for the dogs, it gets stifling hot. Just about the only thing you could do is lie down on the front bed but I don't see that being too relaxing as the trailer bounces about going down the road.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #45

Paint it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I do not even allow anyone in the bed of the PU when it is moving, inside the lite is NOT gonna happen.

Besides I know of no trailer/s with seatbelts and I believe all states require belts for all passengers (except school busses) in a moving vehicles .
One could always paint the Camper or 5er School Bus yellow....LOL!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #46
(Dry Huunday)

How many of my Military Brethren remember the Ole Cattle Car.
Capacity - The number of people that could squeeze in and then 25 more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cattle-truck.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	127801   Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	127803  
Attached Images

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #47

Crazy

That is a good way to kill people or animals carbon monoxide poisioning from tow vehicle and I'm sure you want find seat belts either.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #48

Riding in TT

While I don't ride in mine currently nor do I let my grandchildren bounce around in the back seat but. In the 60's I suspect I logged over two thousand miles riding and sleeping in my parents trailer. We didn't wear seatbelts, drank from public water fountains, swam in polluted streams, and survived into adulthood. Heck sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy life. We had a pigeon hit the front window of the trailer shattering it so we had to put the dinette table up to block the wind until we stopped for gas. Remember none of us get out of this life alive.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Agree that riding in a TT could be dangerous.

However, I take personal note with someone saying skydiving is dangerous. I never believed it was frickin' dangerous and most who say it is, have never tried it. But any sport can be dangerous, people die from being hit with a hit ball but most people allow their kids to play baseball.

2015, USPA recorded 21 fatal skydiving accidents in the U.S. out of roughly 4.2 million jumps. That's 0.005 fatalities per 1,000 jumps—among the lowest rate in the sport's history!

Back to the subject!
So it's perfectly frickin' safe then- well for everyone except the 21. I still wouldn't jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #50

jlgail4309 - Kudos to you for pulling away from the fuel pump when there is someone behind you needing to fill. More times than not, when I pull into a fueling station with a limited number of diesel pumps available, there is someone fueling with gas at every available diesel pump, or worse, some vehicle blocking access to the diesel pump while they are inside the convenience store buying refreshments. Let's all try to be aware, and be more considerate of our fellow motorists.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
How many of my Military Brethren remember the Ole Cattle Car.
Capacity - The number of people that could squeeze in and then 25 more.
Rode in them several time...former Fort Jackson resident
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #52
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Born Free RV actually makes their Class C RV's with steel roll bars.
All that does is save the State Troopers from searching for ejected bodies.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
All that does is save the State Troopers from searching for ejected bodies.
Zowie... You must be fun at parties!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #54
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRob View Post
While I don't ride in mine currently nor do I let my grandchildren bounce around in the back seat but. In the 60's I suspect I logged over two thousand miles riding and sleeping in my parents trailer. We didn't wear seatbelts, drank from public water fountains, swam in polluted streams, and survived into adulthood. Heck sometimes you just have to relax and enjoy life. We had a pigeon hit the front window of the trailer shattering it so we had to put the dinette table up to block the wind until we stopped for gas. Remember none of us get out of this life alive.
And drank water from the regular water hose. Ate vegetables fresh from the garden. Made and ate sandwiches without washing hands.
But some say these are the reasons I look and act the way I do.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRob View Post

Probably the best comment out of the last 20 or so.

I chuckled over the carbon monoxide one when riding in a trailer gown the highway... That dude must be smoking something illegal...

I need to nuke up another bag of popcorn.....
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Probably the best comment out of the last 20 or so.

I chuckled over the carbon monoxide one when riding in a trailer gown the highway... That dude must be smoking something illegal...

I need to nuke up another bag of popcorn.....
Same thing here
Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #57

Don't ever ever never do that. I recently had a claim come across my desk when a semi sides wiped a motor home. Got just a tad over the line and the trailer corner caught it. Ripped that side open like a can opener. Do you want a description of the four kids who were at the dinette playing scrabble. If you said no that was a wise choice. That was a motor home. Now think about a swaying travel trailer.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #58

Wow! And I thought I heard it all when a member confessed as a child, he ran with scissors.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
OK... That one made me snort out loud

Me too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 01-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post
Is there a website which lists the States you are allowed to have occupants inside the camper while driving down the road?

We have never done this, nor will the DW go for it, but want to be prepared with the correct information if the decision ever arises.
Easy answer, Unlawful in Most states
UNSAFE in EVERY state!
In the event of a wreck, the occupants would be totally trapped!
Closed Thread

Tags
camper, travel