Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Cheap and good is the Co Pilot app for android or i phone that lets you program in your preferences including height restrictions. Does NOT need a phone signal to work like GoogleMaps as the maps are stored in the phone. Full version with voice & traffic is under ten bucks....and there are several lesser options all the way down to free. See it here: https://copilotgps.com/us/

X2

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Tablet? mine requires a pencil is there another type? Android thought that was in a sci fi movie guess I better get up to the times............ Sorry........... have none of those things I could check my Beta tapes to see if I have an Android alien in them........ I don't guess anyone still uses paper maps like I do any more either. .............

LOL... well it looks like you can type on a computer at least! So learning how to work an android shouldn't be too difficult...just ask your 5 year old grand kid to show you!
Honestly...the RV apps for android are a tremendous help and aid for camping ...I have 24 of them on my present smart phone that I use primarily to provide quick assistance or navigation! And that's not counting all the stuff I buy for the RV from Amazon!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Tablet? mine requires a pencil is there another type? Android thought that was in a sci fi movie guess I better get up to the times............ Sorry........... have none of those things I could check my Beta tapes to see if I have an Android alien in them........ I don't guess anyone still uses paper maps like I do any more either. .............

Wait, maps come on paper? Why didn't someone tell me? Just kidding. I find paper maps lack the ability to tell you the directions while you are driving without a navigator/copilot.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #24
Wait till next year...

X3 camaraderie between copilot and all stays your talking $20 out of pocket compared to $300-350 for the name r gpses
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #25

Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #26
jkoenig24

LowClearances sells a database that can be added to many (most?) GPS units. They claim to have thousands more low clearance listings than their competition.

Low Clearance POI - GPS Data
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #27

Loved many of the comments in these posts....I too love navigating with a map, and we avoid interstates. I use my google maps app on tablet and phone alot, and allstays is my favorite campground app. We have printed labels posted on our rear view mirror and visors reminding us of our clearance height. It has become second nature to be aware of clearance signs and watch for overhangs...driving a Lexington we are only 10'6", so can get into and under shorter spots....love it. City, county and other tiny camps are our favorites and as long as the road to them is not dirt, we will try most. Sure see more of real life, and love the unexpected finds along the less traveled roads.
By the way, how can I get/use the US map that shows states visited? Many people use as part of their signature - I would like to do that also.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #28

Love all the ideas! Thank you - we will definitely use several of these ideas for our next road trip.
dtfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #29

Best advice! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 1138.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	100148  
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_Piper View Post
We use a Garmin DEZL 560. It is for truckers and RVers. You can input your length, height, width, weight and you will receive a plenty of warning. If you are far enough off the beaten path and the roads you travel are not in the data base you will receive a warning that the road is unknown. We are traveling in a 5th wheel that is over 13'.
I use the Garmin 760LM and love it. Fully programmable as above and has a 7 inch screen. It is hard to beat, take a few and look at it.

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/rv/

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #31

Low Clearance

Our Canadian our cell phone does not work in US without great additional cost. We have travelled for years off the interstate for most of USA. The first thing we do on any new road is watch for on coming big rigs which tells me it should be ok ahead and I can breath easier. You still have to careful and pay attention. SO far we have been OK. State roads are usually ok which I get from my atlas.
Safe travels
Wayne
PS Till the classic Lite (starting this spring) we pulled a Full size 14,000 Lb 5th wheel!
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #32

roads

Just drove from Central Texas to Birmingham AL. The Interstate (20) is the worst in Mississippi. constant bumping from holes in the road surface, very large potholes.
Two conditions for Interstates: In need of construction, and under construction.
All Interstates are running at capacity. In major cities interstates are either at or just over capacity or completely gridlocked.
Secondary highways in Texas are almost as fast as open Interstates. Most cities have a loop to bypass the city center, and the roads have large shoulders.
Limited at 70 and sometimes 75 MPH!.
Interstates in cities like Birmingham are way over used, heavily potted, and under construction almost all the time.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #33

Rand McNally Trucker Atlas (print) has the information you are looking for. Just go to Amazon.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #34

Some states have web sites with resources, e.g.:

https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/bri...clearances.htm
Old 02-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #35

I live in the western Rockies and personally camp in remote areas. Traveling on these secondary roads is how I prefer to travels. I did it many years on motorcycle so pulling a shelter is no problem. My wife has some difficulty on the 15 and 10 MPH switch backs on back mountain roads only because she doesn't like the truck compared to her Miata.
Now pulling a trailer on mountain logging roads can be a little tricky especially when some drivers don't know the rules of the mountain dirt roads, such as who has the right of way the up hill driver or the down hill driver. Oh yea most forest service roads are intentionally made the width of 1.5 cars.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #36

I also use the Rand McNally trucker atlas. Highlights all the roads trucks can use and lists low overpasses. Check the states DOT they list low overpasses due to construction.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel