Old 02-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #31
Low Clearance

Our Canadian our cell phone does not work in US without great additional cost. We have travelled for years off the interstate for most of USA. The first thing we do on any new road is watch for on coming big rigs which tells me it should be ok ahead and I can breath easier. You still have to careful and pay attention. SO far we have been OK. State roads are usually ok which I get from my atlas.
Safe travels
PS Till the classic Lite (starting this spring) we pulled a Full size 14,000 Lb 5th wheel!

Wayne and Gayle Wilson
2016 F-150 3.5 Eco Boost Max Tow Package
2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8528RKWS
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #32

Just drove from Central Texas to Birmingham AL. The Interstate (20) is the worst in Mississippi. constant bumping from holes in the road surface, very large potholes.
Two conditions for Interstates: In need of construction, and under construction.
All Interstates are running at capacity. In major cities interstates are either at or just over capacity or completely gridlocked.
Secondary highways in Texas are almost as fast as open Interstates. Most cities have a loop to bypass the city center, and the roads have large shoulders.
Limited at 70 and sometimes 75 MPH!.
Interstates in cities like Birmingham are way over used, heavily potted, and under construction almost all the time.

hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #33
Rand McNally Trucker Atlas (print) has the information you are looking for. Just go to Amazon.
Ben and Doreen
Home Away From Home - 2017 PT Crusader 315RST
TV - 2008 F250 Lariat 4X4 6.4 Diesel
42 nights camping in 2015
49 nights so far in 2016 (Still Not Enough!)
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #34
Some states have web sites with resources, e.g.:
2016 Forester 2401R
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:55 AM   #35
I live in the western Rockies and personally camp in remote areas. Traveling on these secondary roads is how I prefer to travels. I did it many years on motorcycle so pulling a shelter is no problem. My wife has some difficulty on the 15 and 10 MPH switch backs on back mountain roads only because she doesn't like the truck compared to her Miata.
Now pulling a trailer on mountain logging roads can be a little tricky especially when some drivers don't know the rules of the mountain dirt roads, such as who has the right of way the up hill driver or the down hill driver. Oh yea most forest service roads are intentionally made the width of 1.5 cars.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #36
I also use the Rand McNally trucker atlas. Highlights all the roads trucks can use and lists low overpasses. Check the states DOT they list low overpasses due to construction.

schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote