Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #1

Traveling with a firearm

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this question. We will be taking off in a couple months to be part time full timers. We'll be gone a few months at a time and then return home. Will probably do this for the first year or so. Here's my question/concern, I am licensed to carry in the state of Texas, and have been for many years. I very seldom travel without being armed. I know there are many states that have reciprocity with Texas. I also know there are several that don't. How do people handle these states? Leave the gun in the fifth wheel? Don't carry? Don't ask don't tell? There are a few states we would love to visit that I know are not 2A friendly. Just curious.
Pbgbrv is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

Don't tell, then don't ask
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbgbrv View Post
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this question. We will be taking off in a couple months to be part time full timers. We'll be gone a few months at a time and then return home. Will probably do this for the first year or so. Here's my question/concern, I am licensed to carry in the state of Texas, and have been for many years. I very seldom travel without being armed. I know there are many states that have reciprocity with Texas. I also know there are several that don't. How do people handle these states? Leave the gun in the fifth wheel? Don't carry? Don't ask don't tell? There are a few states we would love to visit that I know are not 2A friendly. Just curious.
Leave the firearm in the 5th wheel in states that don't have reciprocity agreements with Texas. And DO NOT try to take the firearm into Canada, even if it is locked in your trailer.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Team

There have been several good discussions on the forum. Here is one ( search turned up). http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gun-89917.html

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

http://www.handgunlaw.us is your friend.
325BH is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #6

Capt. Mike. I knew that about Mexico but didn't think Canada was that strict. Good too know. Canada is one of the places we will be going. Guess will have to find a bush to hide the gun before we go in!! Lol.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Capt. Mike. I knew that about Mexico but didn't think Canada was that strict. Good too know. Canada is one of the places we will be going. Guess will have to find a bush to hide the gun before we go in!! Lol.
It's no joke in Canada they will check you . they love to get Americans .
i carry my guns with me all the time . from Yellowstone to Florida and in between no issues
northstar1960 is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Many threads have indicated people have found a pawn shop or gun broker to leave the gun stateside while they visit Canada. You then pick it back up when you return.
asquared is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Many threads have indicated people have found a pawn shop or gun broker to leave the gun stateside while they visit Canada. You then pick it back up when you return.

That is good to know.
325BH is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

That's good info asquared.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #11

I wonder why my post was deleted? It had valid and informative information
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

I noticed that. I went to reply and couldn't. Apparently this is a pretty controversial subject. Didn't mean to open up a can of worms just had a question. Hopefully it stays civil. That is good info on the long guns. I'll be checking into what is required. Not sure if it's worth the hassle though.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
I noticed that. I went to reply and couldn't. Apparently this is a pretty controversial subject. Didn't mean to open up a can of worms just had a question. Hopefully it stays civil. That is good info on the long guns. I'll be checking into what is required. Not sure if it's worth the hassle though.
It's OK - glad you saw it because it had some very good info in it based on my experience - hope it answered your questions and if you have any more please PM me
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Each time I have had a post deleted,I usually PM a moderator and gotten some sort of justification reply.

I don't agree with some of the reasons given for deletion,but there are rules.
B47 is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #15

I wouldn't even risk taking a pistol into Canada you will go to prison if caught. Other then California I think you would be "OK" with the always better safe then sorry policy.

I would call your 5th wheel your "home" a little different then having in the truck or on your body in the truck while driving.

as much as i'm pro gun i wouldn't risk a felony charge just to carry.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #16

My suggestion is to go to handgun related websites that are reputable such as Handgunlaw and then narrow down the regulations for the states you want to travel in and then verify all the info via the state police, state AG websites, etc., of those states.

For one thing people talk about reciprocity between states; however, reciprocity is not required between states for your permit to be recognized. Reciprocity between states requires a formal written agreement between attorney generals of those states.

For example, TN has NO formal reciprocity agreement with UT, ID, and some other states; however, UT and ID both recognize a TN handgun permit.

Also some states tend to drop and add state permits that are allowed, so best to keep up to date via the state's own website. One example is NV. A few years ago they recognized ID but did not recognize UT; last year in July they started to recognize UT but only recognize ID's enhanced permit, and no telling what they will do in another year.

Some states (probably most) have preemption clauses that prevent local governmental agencies from changing handgun laws, but not sure if that applies to ALL states. So if they don't have a preemption clause, you could be legal in one city but your magazine, type of handgun, etc., could be illegal in another city. Not sure. Good example is, if I was so inclined to visit NY state (I'm not), I don't believe I can carry with my standard 14 round magazine; it has to be 7 rounds or less. If I were to travel to NY state (which I never will), I would have to verity that through the state just to make sure I was legal.

Also some states have strange laws on handgun carry. And there is some false info already given in a few posts on this site; but I am not going to get into another discussion; nor post information to show they are wrong. It will get my post deleted and start a conflict that is not needed.

So again, my suggestion is to go to a website that has more factual information vs. information people believe is factual but only due to hearsay from third parties.

Since I do not require a state permit to carry my handgun from state-to-state, I still tend to keep up with the laws, but not as closely in the past year. So maybe the info on TN is now incorrect....but it was given more as an example than as factual information; just to show a point.

Good luck....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #17

Just a bit more input on Canada, this from a 2015 post of mine:

Went to Canada this summer. They ran my passport and probably due to my CCW (FL clears applicants through FBI) asked us twice, forcefully, if we were transporting any weapons and then sent us to secondary and removed/searched every freaking last box, bag, container, compartment and crevice of our camper and tow vehicle. It was a good thing I left my weapon at home.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #18

Just for clarity... Bringing long-guns and shotguns into Canada, is not a big deal. Declare them, unloaded and secured while travelling, no automatics, usual deal; and it's not a problem in most cases.

Handguns, and automatic weapons, however, are a big no-no here...

For instance, I have my restricted firearms license - however, when I transport a handgun from my home to the range, I have to file a "flight plan" with the local police, transport it separate from ammo, and some other rules.

It really isn't worth the hassle. Leave the side-arms at home...

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

I've found handgun Law a good, fairly up to date, web site. While I also do not need to have cc permits I keep pa and a ut cc permit which covers most states. I had the option to get NV as well but passed as it only added one or two more states (I think ) . I assure you, the don't ask do not tell may get by 99% of the time.. When that 1% hits.. It will hit hard and you may loose your right forever, and possibly end up in the klink.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I've found handgun Law a good, fairly up to date, web site. While I also do not need to have cc permits I keep pa and a ut cc permit which covers most states. I had the option to get NV as well but passed as it only added one or two more states (I think ) . I assure you, the don't ask do not tell may get by 99% of the time.. When that 1% hits.. It will hit hard and you may loose your right forever, and possibly end up in the klink.

Doc73, there are a few good websites on handgun laws out there. Yup, the 1% would ruin your day for sure. Have done a little traveling over the years but it's a little different "passing through" and staying for a couple weeks. Was just curious how some folks handled it. Thanks for the input.
Closed Thread

Tags
travel