Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
This is the part that I found most interesting... basicly if you are paying for your Mifi, this will find open high wireless networks, prioritize them by bandwidth and connect to them. Then if all else fails, roll over to the Mifi.....

The WiFi Ranger can pick up wifi signals up to 2 miles away and it boosts weak RV Campground signals that can hardly pass through most RV's walls. The Wilson Sleek 4G boosts Cell signals about 18 db (which is quite a bunch). But we don't use it for our phones so much - we use it to boost our Cellular MiFi Broadband Cards. We have two Mifi Aircards - a Verizon mifi and an ATT aircard.

The Wifi Ranger looks for free open Wifi networks and automatically signs on to them. Then you enter the local logins for the campground you're in and finally it connects via USB to your Aircard. Then the Wifi Ranger prioritizes all this and connects you seamlessly to the strongest and least costly internet.

The neat thing is, you only set up your computer, iPad, mobile phone, etc to to log on to the Wifi Ranger's Go2 router. There is no need for my wife and I to change logins for each park we visit. As long as we set up the Wifi Ranger it logs us in and shares everything - while blocking all others from getting onto our network.

Brian - Stacy - Liam Camp Dogs: Pepper & Bentley
Nights Camped: 2015 - 34 2016 - 7

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Wanted to throw my setup in. We have a Coachmen 30BHS bunkhouse, which is perfect for me since I too can work remotely. On one side of the bunkhouse, the top bunk hinges up and the bottom bunk is actually a dinette that folds down to make a bunk similar to most RV dinettes. So I make the bunkhouse my office and the dinette is plenty large enough to hold my two monitors, docking station and laptop, wireless keyboard and mouse. I have been using the hotspot on my phone but recently purchased a couple of Verizon MiFi cards. Haven't used the MiFi yet, so can't comment in well they will work. Trailer is at the shop so can't send pictures. I've already found a 5th wheel (Wildcat) with the same bunkhouse floor plan which we will probably trade up to in a couple of years. And to answer Mike's question, I am a consulting engineer.

Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Working from the RV

And I agree that finding reliable WiFi on the road or in campgrounds is the challenge when working in your...uh...remote office. I set up in the bedroom of our WJ 3001w and have plenty of room, I see your desk on top of the dresser ependydad, but mine is too tall for that. I do commercial kitchen design work and it doesn't matter where I am if I have my computer and some type of internet. I have ATT with 6 GB data and because I don't need continous data files going back and forth it works fine. I just have a small portable table that fits in the outside door aisle of the bedroom and viola' I am at the office. DW says no to a rolling desk chair though. I may have given away that I wasn't in my "regular" office when I sent the secretarys at work a photo of the Grand Tetons from my office window one morning...
D_B Travelers - 30 nights in 2016... so far. 54 nights in 2015. 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, Equalizer 14K hitch, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
Cool stuff, This is what mine looks like. I just got it all setup and ran a test a couple of weeks ago. I have to have good bandwidth for my job, from what I have seen so far, campground WIFI is too slow. We are planning on going full time for a year or two - if I can do my work.
I used my cell as a hotspot for the test but will get a MIFI if we really do this. On the test at a Thousand Trails Campground had to move to a campsite on top of a hill, got 3-4 bars or Verizon LTE with just the phone and bandwidths of 4-6mb up and down. Did some work with no issues. My company's VPN slows the bandwidth down to 3-4mb anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WJ-Office.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	97674  
2016 Windjammer 3006WK
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags.
Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch.
Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera
Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
Working While Traveling

I too work from my 5th while traveling. We spent a total of 12 weeks on the road last year and campground wifis are a problem. I have a Verison MIFI and that seems to work well as long as you have three bars of signal.

I have an AirDesk for working. It holds my laptop at any angle and has a mouse tray. The base weighs 17 pounds and does not move while traveling

I am looking into the Ranger extender for this years trips.

I run a customer service dept. for a Manufacturing Rep firm and do not need to be in an office if I am traveling. I work 4-6hrs/day except on travel days.
Powellr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
I'm going to head out and work from my TT starting in March. Internet access is the real issue. I find that FaceBook is a real hog. Need to shut it off completely unless you are on WiFi.....And don't forget and leave it set to "WiFi Only" and then turn on your hotspot. Your phone or tablet will find the HotSpot as a WiFi and start eating your data. My understanding is that many videos on FaceBook keep running in the background whether you are viewing them or not. Can someone verify that this is true.
RE: FB videos, settings

You can adjust your auto-play settings to On, Wi-Fi only or Off.

If auto-play is On, videos will auto-play using a mobile data connection. The data used depends on the amount of time you spend watching a video. If you scroll past an auto-play video in News Feed, your phone will use less data than if you stop to watch it for a longer period of time.

If auto-play is Wi-Fi only, videos will auto-play only when your phone or tablet is connected to Wi-Fi. If you're using Facebook on a mobile data connection, you'll have to click on a video to play it. If you click and play a video while using a mobile data connection, it will use mobile data.

Note: You might need to click a video to play it even if your auto-play settings are On. This could happen if the mobile connection is slow or if you've used a large amount of mobile data recently.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
My DW dose the same thing when we go to Nascar. WE spend 3 weeks at a time on Nascar and she uses my mobile hotspot on Verizon when we don't have wifi avalable. She only uses about 6 of or 8 gig plan in the 3 weeks. One plus is if you use your limit you can have the plan raised to 16 gig for only $5 and then it returns to my normal 8 on next bill. Only thing is you have to upgrade before running out.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
If all you need is a good connection to your MiFi, a simple under $100 Yagi antenna and a 16' extendable painters pole will work wonders. That is all I used all last year. Didn't help cell service or WiFi, but I had MiFi internet in areas where other had zero service. A bit more involved setting it up as it is directional and you need to find a cell tower and aim it at it. But you can easily go many miles with this configuration. And your MiFi needs to have extenal antenna jacks.
It is shown at the end of this article I wrote:
Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 19RR Toy Hauler...Lots of FARKLES (Modifications) | RVB Precision
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #19
Another adventure awaits!
Do you have two bedrooms or do you have to constantly set up and put away?
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
Another adventure awaits!
I wish our WIFI ranger would pick up signal that distance ...

HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote