Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Trial Run at traveling and working in RV

Made the weekend drive from NC down to Bonita Springs FL. 8 hour drive Saturday and 4 hours Sunday. Travel went great and the Windjammer pulled great.

Staying at Sanctuary RV resort for 2 weeks. Resort is very nice and just like the website said. They had a nice chili cook off tonight and the National Championship game is playing on the big outdoor screen.

Have mini-office set up in the bedroom - 2 screens, wireless keyboard and mouse, 2 cell phones.

1st workday in RV went well. MiFi worked as planned. Took a nice mid-day break for a walk and to cook lunch.

So far so good. Key is that no one should be able to tell I am not in office. Fortunately for me all of my team is virtual so whether I am in office or not does not matter. If trial run goes well boss will let me do this anytime I want.

Already planning our next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

Now that sounds like my kind of gig. ��

1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

That's my setup- many people from my work are remote from home. As long as I can put in my typical 8-10 hours a day, they don't care where I work from.

Here's my desk- same as you, 2 screens, mouse, keyboard (ergonomic, at that), and cell phone.

I waiver between a phone handset and a headset.

Internet will be your biggest issue. Especially if you do this regularly- the cost of data and working fulltime can use up quite a lot. I've bounced around between a bunch of options and couple of ways of getting unlimited plans.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

I'm going to head out and work from my TT starting in March. Internet access is the real issue. I find that FaceBook is a real hog. Need to shut it off completely unless you are on WiFi.....And don't forget and leave it set to "WiFi Only" and then turn on your hotspot. Your phone or tablet will find the HotSpot as a WiFi and start eating your data. My understanding is that many videos on FaceBook keep running in the background whether you are viewing them or not. Can someone verify that this is true.

Any other hints to reduce data use.

I only have a 3g plan currently so I hope to use WiFi as much as I can. I find McDonalds usually has sufficient WiFi for my needs which are usually emails, reading a document, accessing SalesForce and a little bit of Excel and Word work.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Do a search on here for WiFi range extender... there is a thread I remember reading where there are detailed instructions on how to setup your unit to pull Wifi signals from up to 2 miles away and a module to pick the highest bandwidth connection out of all available.

It was pretty cool and what I would do if I was looking to work out of my RV.

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

I'd be interested in what you do for a living, the more specific the better and if able who you currently work for? I too work from home 100% as an Oracle Database Administrator. I was thinking of doing this at one point.

-Mike
Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #7

Trial Run at traveling and working in RV

Edad - thanks for the pictures. I like that set up. For now I have a table that I put up and down each day. I use a verizon MiFi for Internet. Have found WiFi is underpowered for my needs (send and receive large files). I use Bluetooth headset for phone calls. I tend to be on the phone 6-7 hours a day. Trying different ones due to battery and comfort issues.

Biggest issue is barking dogs. If on call it is a dead give away that I am not in office. Use mute button a lot but does not resolve issue.

BK - thanks for the wifi extender comment. I will check that out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452619738.898884.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	97671

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #8

With the ? WiFi at campgrounds and the Cost of Running our V Hot Spot I could Never Imagine going to a Mickey D's as a Workplace! It is Pricey to just keep up with FRF part-time while on the road! Youroo!!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #9

I found the thread I was thinking of: Internet Mods in my Forester

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

I too travel a lot for my work. Rarely work out of my camper as we generally have an office set up already. However, Internet was a big issue for me as well. Fortunately, my company provides me with a MiFi with an unlimited data plan. So, for networking TVs, computers, DTV DVRs, etc., I purchased a Netgear 4G router so that I could have both wired and wireless devices. I also spent less than $100.00 on a range extender and wireless module that gives me a secure, local network in my RV using the park's wireless service. BKBuilds is correct - there are plenty of threads on how to set up your own network in your RV - you can spend anywhere from less than $100.00 all the way up to $800.00 or so.

Enjoy your "working vacation" - I know I do.

Tags
travel