Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Trip - End of March

Last summer, we borrowed my parents' TT and went to glacier, yellowstone, and half a dozen other national parks/monuments. It was a *great* trip. We started in Michigan (where we're from, of course).

We ended up getting a 2306 late in the year, and did manage to get 5 nights in it before packing it away for the winter.

So this year, for various reasons, our only opportunity for a trip will be during my son's spring break (he's only 5 and we have to plan around school....bleah). Anyway, that is in the end of March.

We're thinking of going "out west" to Arches and the surrounding area.

Obviously it has the possibility of being cold when we leave. I'm familar with that, as my parents do it every January in their TT (the one we borrowed). I'm not too concerned with that. It's just a bit of an annoyance.

Mostly what I'm wondering... Is this a horrible idea? Of course nobody can predict the weather perfectly, but I'm imagining it being plenty warm during the day. Hoping/expecting no air conditioner being needed during the day and the nights being above freezing (not *excessive* heater use required).

True? False? Am I insane?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

No, your not crazy if you plan accordingly. Keep an eye on the weather and if a cold snap is forecasted, disconnect from city water and run on your water tank. You can also open your lower cabinet doors so your heat reaches the plumbing. If the cold is going to be excessive and prolonged, blow out the water lines with an air compressor and use the facilities at the campground.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

We figure if it's not looking good, we can divert to Texas, and find something to do... :-)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Arches NP should be really nice the end of March. We went there a few years back in March and it was short sleeve weather. In the summer it gets really hot there.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

Awesome. Was it busy? Hoping to avoid some of the crowds. (Yellowstone in July....Arg!!!!!)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

The crowds were not too bad. Fairly easy to get photos of the landscapes without humans if I wanted. Lots of things to see in the area besides the two National Parks. We were there for a week.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #7

You could always do something with more southerly components like Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, etc....but if you do go to Arches...make time for Canyonlands which is also close at hand.
Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #8

This started as a grand canyon trip, but since we only have 10ish days, "smaller" parks seemed in order. This info is helping. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #9

On one of our several cross-country trips, we spent several days visiting Arches and Canyonlands NP's. There are many nice RV parks in the town of Moab, UT, nearest those parks, but they tend to be a bit crowded. We chose to stay out in Green River, UT, at Shady Acres RV and commute to the NP's. There is a really fine Museum in Green River featuring the exploits of the Powell Expedition into the Green/Colorado River Valleys worth a visit. Also, there is a fantastic scenic drive East of Green River off I-70 that parallels the Colorado River southwest into Moab. I think it is Route 126.

If you come first to Arches/Canyonlands, you may want to head back by going North to the town of Vernal, UT, and visit Dinosaur NM just off US Rte 40. There is a great Museum in Vernal featuring the history of excavations for fossils in the area. Fossil Valley RV park in Vernal is really nice. East on US 40 takes you to places like Steamboat Springs, CO, one of our favorite towns. Farther East is Rocky Mountain NP, but in march most of the campgrounds will probably be closed. Check out RV parks in Estes Park, CO, one of the best mountain towns in all the US. Have a great time!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #10

Hi, we have been traveling south from Alberta to Southern Utah/N Arizona for the past 6 years, usually in March. Last year was the first year we towed a trailer. We didn't de-winterize until we were at Lake Powell, AZ because of the low night temps. We ran into a snow/ice storm in Salt Lake City during the morning rush hour, and ended up having to pull off the highway and hunker down at a KOA till the storm ended (rain was in the forecast, not snow). Happy to have a DVD player that night while listening to the ice slide of the roof. We had extremely high winds (60mph) for the entire 2 days coming home through Idaho and Montana. Slow and steady, no problems. We have a ceramic heater and make sure we find a place with electric hook-ups while in transit. It saves the propane and battery. My best investment was the heated mattress pad. We pack 5 gallons of fresh water and some pink anti-freeze for flushing, and use campground showers as needed until we are far enough south to de-winterize. We were lucky to find a spot at Dead Horse State Park, and it is stunning. No water, so you have to fill up your tank before you head up the big hill. There are also some camping spots near the trail-head for Corona Arch and on Highway 128 east of Moab (electric hook-up only, but location is great). Arches is beautiful, but I doubt you can get in without a reservation. They seem to fill up by Jan 1st. We found out that businesses in Moab will let you fill up your drinking water containers at their shops, usually with convenient outside taps.
Take your time, check the weather forecasts, and prepare to change plans as needed and you won't be stressed. Take a real map with you, and ask the locals for advice on what to see and do. Arches is very busy in the spring, and you may have to wait in line at the entrance, as they have to limit admission because of the large crowds. If you have bikes, bring them to Moab. You will see why when you get there. Have a great trip. You can't possibly see what Utah has to offer in one trip. Focus on one area, and enjoy all that it has to offer.
damann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great info. Certainly the possibility of storms is less than appealing, but that's the way it goes. Storms (just wet instead of slippery) can happen in summer, too. We've been pretty lucky in that regard.

Been working on my trip prep list. Being a new camper, it's not fully decked out yet. Still excited to drag it around and get it dirty.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Disconnect your water hose at night if you think it will be below freezing at dawn. Disconnect at the trailer as it will freeze your backflow regulator and will ruin it. Usually if your border line freezing everything else will be fine. If it's going below thirty may be another ball game, but if you have a four season trailer (has the bottom in it) you should be fine for morning freezes. They also make heater type hoses that you can connect for your hookup that take away the freezing hose problem.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #13

We always use onboard water. No concerns there. My tanks are all uninsulated under there. So I'm OK for a cold night, but it needs to get warmer during the day..... My main concern will be battery life running the heater. Not enough experience in this rig yet. We'll wing that part.... We'll have 2 nothing special batteries, till I can get all set up with 6v Trojans.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #14

If you do decide to go. Word of advice. Gas stations are a long ways apart in some states. Watch you fuel levels.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #15

Well.........we went. It was a good time, but too short. Amazingly, *nothing* went wrong. The only thing close was wicked head winds and forgetting to turn the hot water heater bypass OFF until 1/2 way through the week. Hit some snow west of Denver. I'll post some pics in the towing thread.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #16

Yay! Looks beautiful!
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #17

I'll add a couple more pics..

If you go early enough, parking is available.

May not look like much, but for a 3/4 ton diesel more than 1K miles from home and a pregnant wife, this is "hardcore wheeling".

Plus, I finally found DEF at the pump. YAY.

And this one I just like.....
Old 04-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #18

One other thing I found... I set up my WDH as per the instructions. The first day+ I had what I guess was sway. Things just didn't feel "right" back there. My butt felt light, I guess. So I slacked the chains by one link. It made it so they were barely doing anything (barely flexed at all). Well, it made all the difference in the world. Perhaps I'd be ok with half a link (so adjust the angle a bit) tighter than where I am now. I probably won't bother, as the truck doesn't bat an eye about having NO WDH. Pulled the first several hundred miles without one.

Just thought I'd share. Wasn't sure where to put it as I'm not interested in piping up in every WDH discussion.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #19

Photobucket is lame, so I'm trying imgur, and this is a test picture.