Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Trip Report: California and Oregon

Hello,

This Saturday (June 18th), we will be heading out of Riverside, CA headed North. We will return home on (July 4th) with a total of 16 days camping. We have planned stops in Bishop, CA, Chester, CA, Chiloquin, OR, La Pine, OR, Winchester Bay, OR, Crescent City, CA and someplace outside San Francisco that we haven't decided on yet. I've gained a lot of experience from this forum from topics and trip reports that I hope I can pay it forward. I plan on updating daily before going to bed with campground reviews, fishing reports, adventures, photos and much more.

We have 3 parties total in our group. My mother and father and 3 dogs will be in their Monoco Knight diesel pusher pulling a 24ft enclosed trailer that has their Polaris RZR and my dirt bike ( the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area is in Winchester Bay, OR).

My sister and brother have 2 kids (7 and 5 I think) in a Chevrolet Express Van pulling a Weekend Warrior toy hauler.

My wife, 3 kids (12,11 and 2) and I will be in our Dodge Ram 3500 pulling a 8526RLWS Forest River 5th wheel.

Here is a picture of all of us at Cinder Hills OHV area in Arizona last year. I have a different truck and trailer since this photo was taken. I'll add one of my new setup too.

Please feel free to ask questions or give advice on must sees along the way.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	111008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	111009  
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #2

Day 1:

Total Miles: 270 miles
Total Time: 5 Hours 15 minutes

My alarm went off at 3:45 this morning with plans to meet the rest of our group at Yum Yum donuts and get on the road about 5am. We tend to travel early in the mornings with hopes that the kids will sleep in the car before they start the whole "are we there yet?, why do miles take forever? And Eli won't stop looking at me.".

Here is a picture of us waiting for the rest of the group at the donut shop:

Getting to Bishop is pretty straight forward from Riverside. The 15 to the 395. Highways I've traveled countless numbers of times so I don't mind missing some scenery while it's still dark out.

After stopping for some breakfast at McDonalds in Lone Pine, we arrived in Bishop at about 11:15am. I called about 3 weeks ago and got these reservations at Browns Town Campground. They don't do email confirmations so we arrived today and found out they had the number of days wrong. It took some sorting out but they ended up helping us out so we don't have to move while we are here.

Us registering at Browns Town Campground:

It's a typical private campground. Mostly dirt sites with grass in between. The sites are pretty wide and trees provide plenty of shade. 30 amp and water for $30. No sewer but they have a dump on the way out. They didn't have any spots long enough for my dad. He's 65 ft pulling the trailer so we had to unhook and put the trailer in a different spot for $2 a night. We will run into this problem with him the whole trip.

Here is our campsite for 2 days:

It was pretty hot in the town so we headed up the hill to a lake called South Lake. It's about 8,000 ft elevation and it dropped 30 degrees as we climbed. Went from 91 in town to 61 at the lake. It was freezing and the wind was blowing hard but we managed to catch one fish. We usually try to catch and release but couldn't save this guy.

Tomorrow we plan on waking up early and getting some fishing in at Lake Sabrina and maybe South Lake again.

Here are some pictures of the views at South Lake.

Andrew

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

Day 2:

Total Miles: 0

We woke up and left camp around 7am to go up the hill and fish. We started out at a place called Intake 2. It's a small lake that has a dam that generates power. After about 2 hours without a bite, we headed farther up the hill to Lake Sabrina. The wind was blowing like crazy but we managed to catch this good size trout and the people next to us gave us another one.

Got back to camp and the wife wanted to take us out to lunch for Father's day. Found a place called Schat's Roadhouse. It was pretty good. There is a place in town called Mahogany Meats. It has some of the best bacon I've ever tasted so we stopped off and picked a few pounds up. Also some wild boar jerky. Good stuff.

It's been terribly hot here. 90s yesterday and got up to 99 today. Tomorrow we head north to Lake Almanor for some better weather.

A few pictures of our day.

Andrew

Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing about your trip.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

For some reason it won't let me post up yesterday's.

Andrew

Old 06-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Day 3:

Bishop, CA to Chester, CA (Lake Almanor)

Total Miles: 352
Total Time: 10 Hours

We knew that today would be our longest mileage day besides our last so we woke up around 6:30 to break down camp. Everybody was packed up and ready to go about 7:30. Found out the campground dump was out of order but no worries. There was a shell up the street we could use. I thought $12 was a little expensive but it needed to be done.

We found a place called Bodie State Park. It is an old ghost town and most the buildings are still in decent shape. It was about 10 miles off Highway 395 and then 3 miles of dirt road. The dirt road was rough in certain spots but my dually and 5th wheel made it fine. It's* $8 per adult and* $5 per kid. Here are a few pictures from Bodie. You can buy a map/brochure that guides you through the town. Over 50 different buildings. We weren't able to visit them all.

After lunch in the parking lot at Bodie, we headed up the 395 to Gardnerville. This stretch of highway is beautiful running next to the river and surrounded by trees. Here are some pictures of the drive.* We stopped at Walmart for fuel and some things.

After Walmart is was a straight shot to our campground for the night. We arrived at about 630 so I was a little worried about light. I absolutely avoid getting to campgrounds at night. Especially unfamiliar campgrounds. But, we made it with enough time to set up and go for a little walk. This is a nice private campground. Lots of trees and it's right up against Lake Almanor. Regular RV sites are $50 a night and you can get beachfront RV sites for I think $75. 30 amp with water but no sewer at site. They have one on the way out. Hopefully it isn't clogged tomorrow. Here are some pictures of our site at Northshore RV Park.

Tomorrow we are getting in to Oregon and staying at Collier State Park.

Andrew

Old 06-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #7

Day 4:

Total Miles: I forgot to grab my notebook out of the truck but I believe 220 ish

Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes

Today was a pretty easy day. We didn't have to get out of camp early so we hung around a bit. Had our cup of coffee,* took the kids to the playground and went for a walk. We packed up camp and left around 11am. We took the 36 back to Susanville and 139 in to Oregon. It was a scenic drive with lots of hills. The only downfall was the construction zones and the 20 minute wait at flaggers.

A picture while we wait:

Another on the 139:

Arrived at our camp for the night at Collier Memorial State Park Campground. Paved sites with full hook ups for $26 a night. The private campgrounds in this area were $40+ a night. Can't beat it. All sites come with fire ring and picnic table. By far the best campground on the trip so far.

Our* site:

We cooked up some Carne asada,

Strolled around the campground for a bit so the kids could blow off some energy, got our showers and off to bed we go. Tomorrow is another travel day.

Good night from Chiloquin, OR

Andrew

Sorry for the lack of photos today. Just didn't see anything interesting.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

Great write up I really enjoy reading and seeing pics of your trip my DW and I aren't far from you we are located in Eastvale we will be making a trip up to Oregon in October.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

Thanks for sharing all the photos. It looks like you've been staying at some excellent campgrounds. I'm really enjoying your trip report.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Yes very enjoyable to read and see your pictures. The DW and I are hoping to head that way next year so it's good to see some of the places you are staying at.
Crusader 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Super great thread and posts!!! Thanks for sharing!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Lapine is also pretty area........whent thru there last Sunday, from Lakeview.....take pics of the three sisters and Mt. Jefferson....a little further north is Bend, and Mt. Bachelor...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #13

Day #5

Sorry for being a couple days late but the internet was spotty at best here.

Total Miles: 127
Total Time: 5 Hours

This was our shortest travel day between sites. We traveled from Chiloquin, OR to La Pine, OR. We had set our departure time at 9am. Even though it was a short travel day, we wanted to make sure we had enough time to take in all the sights. We headed in to Crater Lake National Park. Let me tell you, this was by far the most beautiful national park we've been to. The snow on the ground, the clear blue water and Wizard Island in the distance. We took a bunch of pictures, got the kids national park stamps and took in the scenery for a while.

We had lunch in the Rim Visitor Center parking lot before heading out. Rant: There are only 5 or so RV/bus parking spots and they were mostly taken up by* cars. I don't park in your spot, please don't park in mine.

The road from the visitor center was absolutely stunning. Between all the trees, you could see the snow sitting on the ground.

Pictures from Crater Lake and the drive:

We arrived at La Pine State Park at 2pm to set up camp. This is another great Oregon State Park with electricity* (50/30 amp), water, and sewer at the site for $26 a night. All the sites are paved with a fire ring and picnic table. There is a good size grassy area in front of our site for the kids to play.

We got set up and met some friends in Bend, OR for dinner and drinks. We went to a place called 10 Barrel Brewing. Our friend works there and the place was great. My wife and I shared a pizza and it was great. The beer was also really good. He even gave us a case of all the different beers to try. Off to bed we go. We are staying here for the next couple nights.

Andrew

Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Those that have never been out here don't know what they're missing.....came thru there last week-end...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #15

Day #6

Once again sorry for being late. Internet was bad here.

Total Time: 0

We had another day at La Pine State Park and it felt good not to have to pack up and head out. We enjoyed a nice bacon and eggs breakfast and a morning walk around the campground.

On our way to Bend yesterday, we saw a museum that we thought would be pretty cool to check out. It's called High Desert Museum. A little pricey $15 for adults and* $9 for kids. It had a bunch of interactive things for the kids to do. We paid for the birds of prey exhibit ( a extra $3 per person) which was pretty cool. I got buzzed by a falcon that hit me on the top of my head.

I could have taken or left the museum. It was cool but didn't make up for the high admission fee.

We headed in to Bend after for a lunch/dinner at Red Robin and our customary trip to Walmart. Did I mention my wife loves the heck out of going to other states Walmarts? It's OK cause I needed a couple shirts and DEF for my truck.

While parking the truck in front of the trailer, I hit the* 5th wheel pin with my tailgate. Leaving a nice dent right above the Ram emblem on my tailgate. God this made me mad and I can't stop thinking about it. Just a stupid mistake on my part. I even have a backup camera 3 inches above where it hit.

We went for a walk along the Deschutes River which partially runs through the campground.

Had our first camp fire of the trip. The kids got to roast marshmallows for Smores and crawled in to bed about 11pm. It's interesting how late it stays light out here. You can really lose track of time. It's gonna get pretty cold here tonight.

Headed to our "destination" tomorrow.

Good night.

Andrew

Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #16

Day 7

Total Miles: 206

Total time: 4 hours 45 minutes

We left La Pine State Park at about 9:45 with our sights set on Reedsport/Winchester Bay Oregon. We took the 97 to the 58 to the 5 and then 38 in to Reedsport. The highways were absolutely stunning with the river on one side and a mountain on the other.

The only picture we took driving:

Interstate 5 was the first time besides the 15 to get out of Riverside that we were on an Interstate. Almost 1500 miles in to the trip. I'm proud of that as we like to avoid major highways. Now on the way home, we will spend a considerable amount of time on the 5 but that is to get home quickly.

We arrived in Winchester Bay at around 2:30. We are staying 8 nights at the Windy Cove Campground. It's a county campground. Nothing to fancy about it. 30 amp/water/sewer at site. When we arrived, the camp host told us somebody had left a trailer at our site and they couldn't get a hold of the person. Mind you check out was at 11am. I asked them if we could move the trailer in to the overflow parking but they wouldn't let me touch it. They gave us another site until those people come back and get the trailer. Kind of stinks cause we wanted all 3 spots together. Maybe he will come and move it soon.

Our campsite:

We chose this area because there is plenty of stuff to do within a short drive. This part of the Oregon Coast has sand dunes that we will ride quads and drive cars on. We will also go crabbing and have a chartered fishing trip planned someday next week. I'll make sure to get pictures of everything as we go. Our travel days are done until next Saturday when we head home.

Andrew

Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #17

Day 8:

It gets pretty cold here in the mornings so it was to stay in bed until 830. We got up and headed to the dunes which were about 2 miles down the road. We rode for a few hours but it was terribly windy. Hopefully that doesn't continue all week. If anybody is familiar with riding and dirt bikes. I ride a CRF450 Honda. Not very well but I ride it. Haha! We also have a Polaris RZR in our group as well as a variety of quads. It was fun getting the kids out on the smaller quads and watching them ride. Here are a few pictures at the top of a dune overlooking the ocean.

We headed back to camp around 330 and went for a early dinner at a place called Ungers. It is literally a boat that sits on the water and has the best fish and chips. You have to check it out if you're out this way. But, with it being smaller place and pretty crowded on a Saturday, we waited over an hour for our good. Still as good as I remember it.

Now time to sit by the campfire.

Andrew

Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #18

Enjoyed your story. Having lived in Oregon and have been to Bend and Crater Lake many times. Winchester Bay is a great place to ride....a lot quieter then most other places around there. Another good place to eat is Marilyn"s at the north end of Reedsport. Has always been good and their bread pudding is addictive!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #19

I really enjoy all the great photos you've been including in your report.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #20

Good stuff, thanks for posting !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california