Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
RKR

Trip/RV Journal

Just curious as to what type of trip/maintenance logs some of you use. Did a forum search but had no luck. It seemed to just pull up random threads.
There's a lot of stats mentioned in the forum so some people must keeping a journal.
I was going to take an Excel sheet and make one then print them out and get a binder. I saw some on Amazon and Camping world that look OK.
I saw some Apps but I want a hard copy. Looking to keep track of trip mileage , expenses , fuel mileage , mods and repairs , etc.
Any suggestions ?

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Always Learning

I keep a spreadsheet in Google Drive so that I'm able to access it from any Internet-connected device. I keep track of date arrived, date departed, campground name, site #, notes about the campground, notes about the site, who in my 4-person immediate family went, family/friends who camped with us, where the camper was before hand (storage, home, alternate storage, previous campground, etc), where camper went afterwards, distances traveled to and from campground, cost for all nights (including fees and taxes).

I also have lines in the spreadsheet for major maintenance (new tires, trips to/from warranty work, etc).

I have them for the each year of camping that we've done so far. It's nice to look back at records.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

That's what I do. I just made a spreadsheet except I don't print them out. It keeps an ongoing total miles towed, nights used, and description of trip and any problems or repairs. So far we have towed our LaCrosse just over 10,000 miles.
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott619 View Post
That's what I do. I just made a spreadsheet except I don't print them out. It keeps an ongoing total miles towed, nights used, and description of trip and any problems or repairs. So far we have towed our LaCrosse just over 10,000 miles.
Me too

I started off with a notebook which worked well when I was new but now has turned into a campground information resource. I don't wander far from home and my trips are usually just 2-5 night long & I usually camp solo. Not much to report so simple works best for me.

Now I did just added to the Excel worksheet an tentative plan for 2015 on when & where to camp.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
RKR

Appreciate the input. I'll just do the same and build a spread sheet and a separate tab to print a trip sheet for each trip.
Thanks again

Old 11-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

me too

It may be old school but we try to stay away from most electonics on our trips and use just a lined journal. We put the highlights of our day and stuff like that in the journal and then after the trip I put a few photos in it for fun.
I like how some of you are using Excel, etc, for memories and since we do take our laptop on our trips with us (usually under the bed just in case we need it) I may try that approach and see how it works. Great ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11022014 001E.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	65758   Click image for larger version

Name:	11022014 002E.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	65759  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
RKR

Nice looking Journal PT. We've only had our 5r one season and we'll be doing something similar starting next season. I think I saw that cover or something like it on Amazon.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Always Learning

pt1655, it's hard to beat the feeling and sense of nostalgia that paper and pictures evoke. Old school or not- it's quite nice.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

We're still in the process of buying our first RV so haven't officially started camping life. But since I'm an amateur photographer, I want to explore ways of photo journal. For example, using Google plus to post all the photos of camp ground, group, MH, sightseeing etc. These photos will all have time stamp, location tag and your own notes - nice record to have over the time. And most importantly, they are easy to share with family and friends.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1655 View Post
It may be old school but we try to stay away from most electonics on our trips and use just a lined journal. We put the highlights of our day and stuff like that in the journal and then after the trip I put a few photos in it for fun.
I like how some of you are using Excel, etc, for memories and since we do take our laptop on our trips with us (usually under the bed just in case we need it) I may try that approach and see how it works. Great ideas!
Ditto.

This way, we can hand this down to our kids, or just look back upon it when we are rocking at the Home...not sure we will be doing electronic gadgets then.
MSGRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

Just started last May. Love the Journaling idea. Thinking I'd like old school paper and pencil w some real photos. Going to purchase a 3 ring binder today w photo display. Love the comment about viewing it at the HOME. Memories!!
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
RiderBloke

Another Electronic Journal for photos and very short descriptive passages is TripColor which can be shared with as few or as many as you like. I have used it a fair bit and despite some minor quirks, enjoy it and can access it from any electronic device. It can also be linked to one's FaceBook page if that is your bent.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

I keep a handwritten camping log that has various bits of detail in it (trip start/finish dates, truck mileage at start/finish, average MPG, weather conditions, traveling conditions or incidents, park name, reservation #, site details, etc.). I also hand write in a bound journal during the trip and make watercolor sketches in camp when the mood strikes.

At the end of the year we (read I) put all of our digital photos of our various trips into a book and get it printed from one of the online places. In that book are transcribed a lot of the details from the paper logs, as well as the journals. It's nice to be able to go back over the logs to see what we thought about various parks, and the book allows us to look at the pictures easily when the mood strikes. Before I did the book thing, the pictures just took up hard drive space and we almost never looked at them.

I have seen commercial travel logs and camping logs but I like just doing it myself. You can get you own pages bound at the UPS or FedEx store for little cost if you want something bound, or just keep loose pages like I do and put them in a ring binder for future reference. I made the template in Excel and printed off a stack, then when we setup a trip I write everything down and stick it in the camper so that I can update it as the trip progresses. I finish filling in the details at the end of the trip and file it away.

An alternative that I've been considering, and may do this year as a trial, is to use rubber cement and tip in all the paintings, notes, etc. into a spiral bound book (they have more room for added thickness.) Rubber cement is easy to work with, won't damage paper, and anything cemented in can be removed at a later time if you wish. As mentioned above, I like the look and feel of hand made things better than all-electronic stuff...

- Randy
Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #14

My DW makes a binder for every trip. In the binder are real maps our reservations and notes about things on the trip. I guess you can call me old school, but she enjoy's it. So we now have a 3 ring binder for all our trips. Gas mile ledge and such and where we stopped. When MAMA is happy we are all happy. The excel spread sheet is a great idea, but we feel a journal is more personal.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote