Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

Triple towing??

A guy just pulled in to the site next to me pulling a boat behind his small travel trailer. Is this legal here in Ohio??
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

What was the third trailer?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Always Learning

Possibly, most of the "list" sites say it's allowed but don't quote the specific regulation:

RVSafely.com

In my 30 seconds of searching, I couldn't find the Ohio regulation to determine the basis of the site's info, though.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

We are gonna need popcorn for this...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
What was the third trailer?
There's ambiguity of the terms "double towing" and "triple towing". They're often used interchangeably. I never understood how "triple towing" made sense except to think of the 3 vehicles involved (tow vehicle + 2 trailers).

But, as far as I can read from state regulations and whatnot- the 2 terms are functionally synonymous.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptn Krabby View Post
A guy just pulled in to the site next to me pulling a boat behind his small travel trailer. Is this legal here in Ohio??
Unless Ohio changed the Law on Towing,it is Not Legal to Pull (3) units! Youroo!!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

Even in states that allow it, your allowed to pull a small trailer behind a 5th wheel. Towing a trailer behind a bumper pull trailer is a big no no.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Even in states that allow it, your allowed to pull a small trailer behind a 5th wheel. Towing a trailer behind a bumper pull trailer is a big no no.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. For instance, I think it is Louisiana that allows the first trailer to be a travel trailer. However, that "knowledge" is from reading forums and not actually finding regulations.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't think that's entirely accurate. For instance, I think it is Louisiana that allows the first trailer to be a travel trailer. However, that "knowledge" is from reading forums and not actually finding regulations.
You are correct. Only limited in total length.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #10

I pull a MKX behind my Berkshire. Recently we needed to move our base camp and Dianna didn't want to drive. So I hooked up the utility trailer behind the MKX and off we went. We passed several LEO's even a speed trap with 4 chase cars. They never looked twice. I checked an the rule it seems is a 65' length that we were over a bit and it seems the hitches play a role. It says that you can't have two ball hitches. Most take that to say one must be a 5th wheel. I don't have a 5th wheel but it's not a ball hitch either. I have done it several times now with no issues. It actually is quite manageable. I stopped at a truck rest area and got a few smiles ( well laughs) but I don't mind that. I find that most LEO's really don't want to do the research necessary to write the ticket so they so far leave it alone. I don't plan to make a habit out of this.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #11

Actually, I guess I should have titled my question...Double Towing!
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
........ I find that most LEO's really don't want to do the research necessary to write the ticket so they so far leave it alone. I don't plan to make a habit out of this.
I know when I was on the road, if I had seen your rig(s), I probably would have done just that - scratch my head and let you go. But, I would have also probably pulled out my motor vehicle law book and checked to see if what you were doing was legal in MD. Pity the fool that came by the next time - if it is illegal in MD. I still haven't looked it up!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
..I would have also probably pulled out my motor vehicle law book..
Are these available online for states? I have a devil of a time finding actual laws/regulations that apply to scenarios like this.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Are these available online for states? I have a devil of a time finding actual laws/regulations that apply to scenarios like this.
I "work" for the MD Judiciary now and came across a very helpful app. Check out this link and the app can be downloaded. Once downloaded, go to Maryland Laws, select Westlaw, and scroll down to Transportation. Title 24 looks to be the appropriate Title, although I haven't actually checked.
When I was actually working, we were issued the full Transportation Article book every year. Of course, here at the Court, we have a couple books laying around all the time.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #15

I'm guessing that the law is more geared for the commercial haulers than the RV people. As long as your not ridiculous your not going to have a problem.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #16

Used to do some chuckwagon racing and have run into people all over the southeast pulling gooseneck stock trailers with flat or box (ball mount) trailers behind the horse trailers for buggys, wagons, etc.

Also knew a guy with a horse trailer dealership and they nearly always got another trailer attached with a temporary hitch on the back of their gooseneck delivery.

Everyone always told me that a ball mount at the back of a gooseneck was legal as long as all the lights were working. And an important thing: go down the road like you know what you're doing.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I know when I was on the road, if I had seen your rig(s), I probably would have done just that - scratch my head and let you go. But, I would have also probably pulled out my motor vehicle law book and checked to see if what you were doing was legal in MD. Pity the fool that came by the next time - if it is illegal in MD. I still haven't looked it up!

That's funny. If I do it again I should take a different route just in case the Leo did look it up. Thanks for your service. A tough job that just keeps getting tougher.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #18

Quote:
I use https://www.law.cornell.edu/states for a quick link to state statutes, but you can usually search for the state and see the same info. The link makes it faster.

For Federal Codes and a big headache ....Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #19

From the mouth of a Florida FHP Trooper who is usually on CDL Duty on Interstates:

Not legal UNLESS commercial licence and registration.

We have a Manheim Auto Auction here, and I sometimes see a bumper pull trailer with 1 or 2 cars on it, followed by a car being pulled with tow bar. He said it's legal for commercial drivers.

Go figure.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing