Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"Established March 13, 1948
Located on the western shore of Kentucky Lake"

Is this the one?
If so, I would not expect it to accommodate large, wide RV's, slide outs or awnings.
Keep in mind what people were camping in in 1948...
You know the pic I posted above is from Kenlake. Those sites from analyzing that pic are at least 23 to 25 feet wide and the pad is 10 feet. I would see no issue with putting my trailer in there and opening the slides.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #22

I went to the Reserve America website to look at the campground at Kenlake State Park. The problem that I see isn’t the site width, it’s the site length. The majority of the sites are too short for my liking. I don’t know the rules in Kentucky state parks, but in MO parking the truck on the grass next to the trailer is a no-no.

Dwaynerz, are you locked into the decision to use Kenlake State Park for your camping trip? If not, you might want to look at the other state parks and Corp of Engineers campgrounds in the Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley area. I think those other campgrounds might be better suited to a fifth wheel that is 35 feet long. This is just my opinion of course.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
phat phrog stunt crew

my 5th wheel is 31 ft long, but i reserve sites usually 35 so as to give me more room even if just a little. i used flash earth to look at campsite, and all i saw were trees. not that that is a bad thing especially in august, but it was of no help this time. it usually is/does a good job.

i still have time to cancel those reservations and look at a corp park or others in the area. some of the other parks seem to be seasonal sites tho, and i dont want to camp in a mini mobile home community (no offense to mobile home dwellers).
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #24

I guess you're good to go then. BTW, Kentucky Dam Village State Park is on the north end of Kentucky Lake near I-24. When you're camping at Kenlake SP you might do a drive-thru of the campground at that state park for future reference.

I don't like camping in parks with lots of seasonal sites either.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
phat phrog stunt crew

thanks all for the advice. i too when camping someplace new do a quick look and make a note of sites i would rather be at or avoid. sometimes tho, you just get lucky on the one you picked. even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote