Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

US 26 Ne, Wy

Has anyone taken US 26 in Nebraska and Wyoming as a short cut from I80 to I25? I haven't calculated the distance saved yet. I am interested in road conditions and how much stop and go it is for all the cities located on the route. I have taken some of these short cuts before that people swear by but so far I can not remember one that I have been impressed with. While it can be boring driving down an interstate it is hard to beat for time.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #2

Ok, maybe a different explanation.

I am going to Guerney, Wy. to see the wagon ruts that are left in the Oregon Trail. I can badically go I 80 and I 25 all the way, or take US 26 from Ogallala, Ne to Guernsey, Wy. The difference is about 80 miles shorter using US 26. While shorter, I wonder about all the little towns and road conditions.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this route?

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

I know the route, but not the road condition. It is like any other two lane hwy in the area. No stopping but slow down going through the towns. Not a lot of towns. I guess a question I have is, are you In a hurry? Slow down enjoy the scenery and wave at the couple of people that have to slow down behind you before they pass. I would say take the hwy route
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Been several years but if I remember correctly, its pretty good road, and a fair amount to see (for Nebraska). Pulling a trailer, I can't see where time-wise it would be longer. Wayne
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #5

I lived along that highway 25+ years ago, so I don't know the current condition of the highway. Be prepared to encounter some slower traffic, there is a lot of farm ground out there, expect to get behind a tractor or 2. It may take longer, but it should be worth the time to get to experience the area. The last time I was on I-80 out there, it was pretty rough and there was a fair amount of construction going on that slowed things down. If you have a little extra time, when you get off I-80 at Ogallala, take the long way around lake McConaughy, it is worth the time. Also, there are wagon ruts from the Oregon Trail in the Ash Hollow park just outside of Lewellen, about 25 mile or so west of Ogallala. Other interesting points are Chimney Rock, just west of Bridgeport and Court House Rock outside of Scottsbluff.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Lake Mac is something you wouldn't expect in Nebraska. The visiter center at Ash Hollow is only open weekends (at least last summer when we were there), but lots to walk around and see there if you arrive at any other time. Wayne
Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses. This is good information. I am finalizing plans that take us through Nebraska to Idaho. On the outbound part of the trip we are time constrained but the return is wide open. I am really looking forward to visiting these historic sites.

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Wanderluster

Take the shortcut. US 26 is a good 2 lane highway all the way. Sure you will have to slow down some, but heck, you might find something to look at that makes it take you longer... like Chimney Rock or Scottsbluff National Monument.

Getting through Scottsbluff takes a few minutes and is the only bottleneck I can think of unless... road construction.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote