Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Us 6 through price Utah

Has anyone ever driven US 6 from Provo, Utah to I70. Just wondering if this is a good road to pull a 40' 5th wheel.

leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
It's not too bad. Northbound or Southbound? Northbound it's a twisty road with climbing lanes going up out of price topping pout at Soldier Summit then a long downgrade to Spanish Fork. I went that way in late May with my fiver.

2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
At least twice a year since moving to ID and going back to Moab to camp and visit with friends. And when living in Moab, every time I went north to ID/MT/WY it was via Highway 6.

From Provo some curves and you climb to Soldiers Summit, which is only 7400 feet, but in spring/fall you can have some nasty weather up there. In my spring and fall trips I have encountered everything from hail to snow to blinding thunderstorms. (Just a note: Hwy 6 between Spanish Fork and Price is one of Utah's most dangerous roads, primarily in the curves before Spanish Fork. I have travelled it many times, and have never even seen an accident, but it is one of those roads that needs respect. Just take your time and all will be ok. So you will see quite a few white cars with a Beehive on the side, with and without lights on top.

The Deadliest Roads Are Rural : NPR

After the Summit you drop down into Helper and some decent curves before you get there; usually slows down at that point. From Helper into Price easy drive BUT SLOW DOWN when you hit Wellington; just south of Price. Last time I went through there the state and county were doing a crackdown on the speeders through town. (Last year there was some construction on NB Hwy 6. The State was adding another lane for northbound, I believe it is finished now. It was needed.

If you need fuel; there are plenty at the Price exit, but a pain in the butt to access (IMHO), but there are two easily accessible stations in the southern part of Wellington. A shell on the west side, and a Chevron further down the road on the east side. The shell's pumps are parallel to the highway so easy access for a trailer (something I like even with a popup); the Chevron they are perpendicular to the hwy.

After price it is a LONE straight drive to I-70. But it can be dangerous too many people passing in both directions even when everyone is doing the 65 speed limit. However, they have been adding more passing areas. (A state trooper told me that they keep requesting more passing zones to keep down on the accidents; both south and north of Price).
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
I pull mine through there a few times a year. I travel between SLC to Moab 3-4 times per year. I dont think it is bad at all. I run 65mph for the most part, other than the hills mountain pulls (nothing too extreme), and watch out for people passing after price to Moab. There are always state troopers out that way but they only hassle the speeders and those that are passing illegaly.
2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote