Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Using the Garmin RV 760LMT

After reading as many reviews as I could digest, we purchased the Garmin RV 760LMT. I've not used it in the RV yet but am trying to plan our upcoming trip. I used the Good Sam Club on-line trip planner and was disappointed to find out that the "export" feature only allows for sending the route plan to the Rand McNally device. So I installed the Garmin Basecamp software and it's not real user friendly in my opinion and I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. Maybe I need to play with it more.

What I specifically want to do (so far) is change the route the Garmin chose for me, and I can't figure out how to do that as it says it's the only route found and it didn't give me options to choose from. I was able to add a waypoint in a town I knew was along the path that I wanted, and that seemed to at least change the route to the road I wanted to take (and matched what I did in the Good Sam trip planner).

Anyone have any tips, tricks, how-to's, advice for creating trips and downloading them to the Garmin? Or tips for using the "Trip Planning" app on the device itself?

Thanks!

Tom

2014 Georgetown 351DS, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and an amazing wife!

The Wandering Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Not sure if this is exactly what you want but, I use mapquest to make my route using stops along the route. It allows me to make a route to avoid the Baltimore tunnels and such. The stop feature creates a waypoint the gps routes to. I then connect my usb gps cable to the laptop and export the map right to the gps from the mapquest website. I also found basemap not to work or be frienly for users.....

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

Dont know if this helps...

There are some route planners on line like, www.myrouteonline.com that you can plan your route and upload or export to your garmin...I haven't used it but my daughter uses one of them for her regular garmin and uses it's wifi to do it...I used one to upload POIs and one route from to a Rand McNally....

I know on the smaller garmin in wife's car, after it chooses the route I just touch screen and drag the route to new stops or way points..

My daughter says that she thought one of the google maps or mapquest could load onto garmin....

If it is like the Rand McNally I have you have to shut off or change the vehicle size and configuration because it keeps readjusting for truck and RV after I change route...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Thanks, I didn't know you could export maps from those sites. I generally use Google Maps but couldn't figure out how to export the map. A little research shows they have just recently stopped supporting the "Export to Garmin" feature. MapQuest still supports it via a browser plugin.

I created an entire route in MapQuest, it was exactly the route I wanted. I exported it to my Garmin, which proceeded to reroute it back to how it did in the first place, ignoring my waypoints. Grrr. I think there's a learning curve here, and I'm behind it! ha ha

Thanks for the ideas....I'll keep trying!

Tom

2014 Georgetown 351DS, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and an amazing wife!

The Wandering Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

you could try setting the garmin to a smaller vehicle size and see if that helps.....

I usually go the way I want to and only use GPS for the last leg of trip, just to get to address....

here lately I don't even do that......I let my wife and her phone play Command and control...so far she has been more accurate than our RM....I have noticed that this way does result in the GPS occassionally raising it's voice.......

plus if she misses, then customer service is right there about 2 feet away..

Warning: their customer service isn't all that friendly when challenged.....
Old 07-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Irishman View Post
Thanks, I didn't know you could export maps from those sites. I generally use Google Maps but couldn't figure out how to export the map. A little research shows they have just recently stopped supporting the "Export to Garmin" feature. MapQuest still supports it via a browser plugin.

I created an entire route in MapQuest, it was exactly the route I wanted. I exported it to my Garmin, which proceeded to reroute it back to how it did in the first place, ignoring my waypoints. Grrr. I think there's a learning curve here, and I'm behind it! ha ha

Thanks for the ideas....I'll keep trying!

Tom
Not sure how you created or opened the route. But on my Garmin it is under the apps might be trip planner? But not sure... I'd have to check.

As far as it ignoring your route you need to make random stops along your route using the drag options. It will make a dot on the route that can be made a "stop" I stagger these along my route. Since they are stops the gps is forced to following your route. I will mess up the time to destination though... adds 2 min per stop. When you pass the stop it just picks up to next one on your route.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
Happily Retired Member

You can no longer export maps from MapQuest or Google maps to Garmin. Garmin wants you to use their Base camp and it is pathetic to work with. I was just reading about KML file conversions to import into Basecamp but have not figured it out. If anyone finds out how to export to Garmin, please post.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #8

We have that same GPS and that is one of our frustrations as well! It is a pain in the rear to force the GPS to use a different route. We usually resort to adding waypoints along certain highways we want to be sure to take. Sometimes, it will just not route the way you want to go, and that is usually due to the height or weight restrictions you have entered into the RV profile, or other route preferences like avoiding tolls, etc.

We usually resort to using Google Maps on our phones and comparing the routes to what the GPS has picked out. We then alter the GPS route if we think there is a shorter way to get somewhere. Usually, the GPS does really well, though.

One thing I do really like is that you can load in your own custom POIs (points of interest). You use the free POI loader software and download POI files from different websites. We loaded in all of the Walmart and Sam's clubs, travel stops, and even restaurants that have appeared on the TV show"diners drive-ins and dives".

Vernon

https://habsontheroad.com
2017 Berkshire XLT towing a 2012 CRV