Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Senior Member

Walmart Camping

Not sure where this post should go but....

Read an online story about the cast of security to local communities caused by additional calls to Walmart stores. One of the interesting claims made by the Bloomberg report is:

"But there are other reasons Targets have less crime. Unlike most Walmarts, they’re not open 24 hours a day. Nor do they allow people to camp overnight in their parking lots, as Walmarts do."

It does not take much to get a witchhunt going and I'm sure we RVers will be losing some Walmart overnight locations because of this.

I'm not sure if the article is blaming the RVers because we are victims or if they are implying the RVers are the criminals.

Anyway, be prepared to see more "no overnight parking signs" at your favorite Walmart stops.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

To many people think that Walmart is a free RV campsite. Most people stop for a few hours and drive on but there is a few RV's that think it's a free camp site. Those few will ruin it for everyone, I never camp out at Walmart as I think it's unsafe plus this time of year it's hot. I carry generators but I would not take them out at Walmart

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Senior Member

I should have added.... We have stayed one night at a Walmart and it was a blessing. On our way home from Florida got caught in an ice storm somewhere in Tennessee. Pulled off the interstate in a small town. Spotted a Walmart and pulled in. I went inside to ask permission to stay overnight. They were just closing but the mgr. took the time to direct me to a place to set up. Spent the night, got up early to find the ice gone and we moved on. Thank you Walmart!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

Walmart Camping

I have to laugh a bit at the heading, "Walmart camping." It's free parking. When some use it as camping (not the poster here), that's what spoils it for others.

One thing that may affect security and cost is when RVs are parked in a lot and something (anything) is going on during the night, I'll bet that generates a lot more 911 calls. Whereas at empty lots at Target and elsewhere, no one calls 911 unless on-site security sees something amiss. However, having RV owners on site may well keep the site safer because of those extra eyes.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 19; RV to date: 22
Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

On the security issue, we have to take this report seriously. The first paragraph of this quote refers to one store in Tulsa described in the report. I'm sure conditions vary among the stores, but the rest of the quote and report are more general.

"It’s not unusual for the department to send a van to transport all the criminals Ross arrests at this Walmart. The call log on the store stretches 126 pages, documenting more than 5,000 trips over the past five years. Last year police were called to the store and three other Tulsa Walmarts just under 2,000 times. By comparison, they were called to the city’s four Target stores about 300 times. Most of the calls to the northeast Supercenter were for shoplifting, but there’s no shortage of more serious crimes, including five armed robberies so far this year, a murder suspect who killed himself with a gunshot to the head in the parking lot last year, and, in 2014, a group of men who got into a parking lot shootout that killed one and seriously injured two others.

"Police reports from dozens of stores suggest the number of petty crimes committed on Walmart properties nationwide this year will be in the hundreds of thousands. But people dashing out the door with merchandise is the least troubling part of Walmart’s crime problem. More than 200 violent crimes, including attempted kidnappings and multiple stabbings, shootings, and murders, have occurred at the nation’s 4,500 Walmarts this year, or about one a day, according to an analysis of media reports. Sometimes they’re spectacular enough to get national attention. In June, a SWAT team killed a hostage taker at a Walmart in Amarillo, Texas. In July, three Walmart employees in Florida were charged with manslaughter after a shoplifter they chased and pinned down died of asphyxia. Other crimes are just bizarre. On Aug. 8, police discovered a meth lab inside a 6-foot-high drainage pipe under a Walmart parking lot in Amherst, N.Y."

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 19; RV to date: 22
Old 08-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #6

Two different worlds! Late night stop over.......vs........parking lot camping! I've yet to use a WM for over night stay. However, I'm sure as discussed here multiply times, allot of us have witnessed the RV (s) set up by 4pm in a WM parking lot with slides and awnings out, chairs out, cooler out, and maybe even a grill out !

I do believe that behavior will ruin the courtesy WM has provided!

I'm not sure why the 18 Wheelers, and other commerical vehicles have not started using those same parking lots for over night stays ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

I think what will get it shut down as it was at the Walmart in my town is abuse by folks. You would see the occasional TT or MH that I assume were overnighters since they were not there the next day. However about every 3-4 months a RV and toad would pop up in the lot and be there for a couple of weeks. After about a year of this the signs went up for no overnight parking. I haven't seen the RV since.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post

I'm not sure why the 18 Wheelers, and other commerical vehicles have not started using those same parking lots for over night stays ?
There are ample numbers of truck stops around the country. Also, many if not most trucks are not self-contained like an RV. Truckers appreciate the availability of restaurants, bathrooms, showers, and other necessities such as diesel fuel and a wide variety of truck parts and accessories that are available at truck stops. Lastly, I've never seen that 18-wheelers are welcomed to overnight at Walmarts., unless they are making an early-morning delivery.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Never have stayed overnight at Walmart (and do not shop there either) unless there was an emergency.
There are several Walmart stores in the area and only 1 Target. Target does target a more affluent shopper too. However, the Target store in Myrtle Beach is in a less desirable location than any of the Walmart stores. Also, Target has few free standing stores. The majority of problems here are in the parking area so the call is to the plaza, not the store.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

We have stopped for the night (not camping!) at Walmart many times. When we are on lengthy trips, and just need a place to park for overnight, Walmart is a great option. We always re-supply and have always been careful not to look like we are camping. Have never witnessed any trouble from the public or Walmart employees. I hope the RV community doesn't screw this up so this option goes away.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
There are ample numbers of truck stops around the country. Also, many if not most trucks are not self-contained like an RV. Truckers appreciate the availability of restaurants, bathrooms, showers, and other necessities such as diesel fuel and a wide variety of truck parts and accessories that are available at truck stops. Lastly, I've never seen that 18-wheelers are welcomed to overnight at Walmarts., unless they are making an early-morning delivery.
Woodburn, Oregon
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #12

It is not camping.........just a short stopover for the night. Like others.....have seen generators out.......slides out......dog pens set out.....etc.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
It is not camping.........just a short stopover for the night. Like others.....have seen generators out.......slides out......dog pens set out.....etc.
Seen pretty much all of the above except for the dog pin at a Walmart in northern new Brunswick on the way from Ontario to nova Scotia.

All by the same camper.

Pulled in the middle of around six campers and with in 20min every one pulled to the other side of the lot
Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #14

My son worked night parking lot security at Walmart for a few years. That Walmart allowed RV's overnight. The manager allowed one old guy with an old motorhome to stay for weeks at a time. The guy was obviously poor. My son would buy food at Walmart and give to him. The guy would go away for weeks and come back for a few weeks.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #15

I look at walmart parking to be a safe place off the highway to rest for a while until you can continue to your destination. As with anything in life the problems occur when people begin to take advantage of another's generosity .
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
Canadian Contingent

I have used Walmart as a night time stop over to a destination. I've used them many times.

In many cases, it is not Walmart themselves that do not allow overnight RV parking, it is the City's bylaw/ordinance that does not allow it and Walmart has to comply.
I know this to be true in our City as the No Overnight Parking signs post the bylaw#.

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #17

If there are any commercial campgrounds close by a Walmart then they are in business to make money off paid camper's they will complain to city council enough to get a no overnight parking at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping