Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #11

I recently had an issue with someone talking on his cell phone while driving who almost hit me, which would have been a pretty bad accident had it happened. I discussed it with him at stop light. He point blank told me his cell phone conversation was more important than anything else going on and it was my responsibility to watch out for him because he was very important. I told him otherwise. He made a few more derogatory statements. I made a simple sign to him and offered to pull over and discuss it some more. He sped off.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
He point blank told me his cell phone conversation was more important than anything else going on and it was my responsibility to watch out for him because he was very important.

I think that is the problem right there. Everything is all about ME these days. Who cares about the rest of the people on the road.

My 2 cellphone stories. Quite a few years ago I'm trying to merge onto the local freeway. The slow lane is filled w/ tractor trailers, but I get in. Then when I move to the middle lane, it's going about 10 mph slower than the RH & LH lanes. The LH passing lane is streaming by me for a couple of minutes before I can get out & start to move. Well the "leader" of the slow lane was some guy in a white shirt (w/ a passenger) yakking on a cell phone. I passed them while laying on the horn. After passing them & moving back into the middle lane in front of them, then tapped the side of my head as to say, "Use your head".

Sometime after that my brother almost rear ended a slow moving pickup in Toronto. As he passed them he saw the guy was on a cellphone. Well brother saw that he could slow down (no traffic) & let the guy catch up to him. Well I guess my brother honked the horn & started to yell (inside the cab of his truck). Brother said the guy hung up pretty quick. He didn't say what he said, but obviously the slow poke could lip read.

2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
I had a guy on a Harley just about merge into me. Turns out he was talking on his cell while driving a flipping motorcycle trying to merge into 60 MPH traffic.
While still on the phone, he informed me at the next stop that the motorcycle alway has the rite of way irreguardless of traffic law. Aparently he wasn't a physics major as I explained to him that my 6,000 lb truck and 7,000 lb camper could easily turn his 900 lb motorcycle, head and cell phone into a 1 piece unit. He put his phone down and got real quite after that.
2010 Surveyor SV 291
06 F250 4x4 crew cab PSD
1 DW, 1 purebred mutt, 1 ninja beagle

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Jan Goldfield
As a long time biker, I can tell you that a motorcycle does not have any special right-of-way, especially at a yield sign. And even if I was in the right in some traffic situations, I never wanted to be dead right.

Jan Goldfield and Donna Morse
Slidell LA

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote