Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #31

To follow up on what we did.....

We went to the presentation. We went in with our eyes wide open and fearing the worst. We expected a seminar type thing with other people there but it was a one on one meeting with a sales rep. Very dissapointed with the presentation. No handouts. No brochures. Nothing on paper up front. The sales guy took a few sheets of paper and scribbled down a few notes as he spoke. He even wrote some notes upside down as he spoke. Argh. The guy was sort of like a used car salesman but pleasant at least.

He really was not very pushy and gave us the golf cart to tour on our own without him - as he likely got the message that we wanted to tour on our own. We talked to some resort owners when we toured around and they only provided positive feedback.

We went there with a written detailed list of questions that we wanted answered. We had to ask for a lot of info., much of which is not freely given to you. Argh. DW is an accountant and not willing to let anyone pull the wool over her eyes.

Sho 'nuf, there is no such thing as a free lunch in life. For the $2K gift, it's only good for 4 years. You still have to pay the annual dues of $295. AND, you can only use the one KM Resort campground for max. 4 visits a year and only for a max. of 6 nights per visit. Many people don't do 6-day long weekends so if you did some math and said say 3 visits each, or 12 days a year, this is no smokin' deal even if you don't have to pay the $2K membership fee.

However, we actually ended up buying a full membership. We put our $2K gift towards the full membership. We bartered as best we could but we were getting tired and might have been able to squeeze them a bit more. We ended up paying $3995 for a lifetime membership. Their "list/sticker" price for this is $7K. I doubt many pay the full price. For $3995 (which includes some extras) we got:
  • Free camping at any of the KM resorts in Washington. As a bonus, they included one they have in Oregon. Guaranteed access to these resorts. No 125 mile rule.
  • Membership in affiliated campgrounds - RPI, Coast to Coast & Good Neighbor - they paid the first years dues as well.
  • Can also use 1000 Trails ($15) and Enjoy America (50% off) and discounted rates at Preferred Access condo affiliates.
  • Typical overnight stays in camping affiliates are $10 - $15.
  • No restrictions on amount of resale times for the KM membership
  • Family pass - son can go on his own four times a year
  • Can bring up to six people in an RV and two tents for camping - they can park tent on tent site or trailer site.
  • We also got some free camping passes and "cabin" rentals for our friends - with it specifically written "no presentation required".
  • Friends can camp with us and pay about $35 a night for their own site
We figure that we will pay for the membership in 2 - 3 years based on avg. rates of $40 - $50 in typical campgrounds and our planned camping. It is a lot of money - but all in all we figure we will spend close to that in a few years and plan to travel lots when DW retires in about a year. So value for money for us.

Thanks to all the comments on this forum - we asked about each and every issue we heard about and then some.

I am retired and my DW has a lot of very flexible vacation so we can camp for most weekends easily.

And we still got a $25 certificate for a restaurant meal and gas cards worth $50. The KM Resort c/g in Blaine actually seems nice to us. We are just planning a trip to southern Oregon in July and we are about to find out how good the affiliated campgrounds are to get them booked.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #32

Sounds like you did your groundwork, solicited and listened to comments, got your info at the sales pitch, and made a decision based on whether or not the deal was good for you. Enjoy your camping with the KM system.

...VTX-AL

Old 05-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

I, for one, am totally interested in how this plays out.
If you would be so kind, can I start a thread with your post and you keep a running commentary of how this is working out for you?

Like whether they honor all their commitments, etc...

I think others might also want to know about your experiences as you navigate the KM resorts camping world.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I still am skeptical but in the end if your happy then thats all that matters !
I as well would enjoy reading your highs and lows concerning your recent purchase as I am sure so are many others !
Have fun and good luck !
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #35

Sure Lou, that's great if you want to do that. We'd be happy to post updates on our experiences with KM Resorts and the affiliates as we travel around.

BTW, I just reviewed my post and note that I said the annual maintenance dues were $295 but they are actually $395.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #36

we do wish for you the best of luck with this THING

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
BTW, I just reviewed my post and note that I said the annual maintenance dues were $295 but they are actually $395.

that is prox 8 days of camping
one needs to do each year
to pay for the 395 a year dues
committed to this one camp site I guess

then one would need to stay an additional
80 days between now and ??
to get back investment of 4 thousand

when we went to one of these THINGS
after I figured out how many years
it would take for full recovery
in our case over 15 years
of use at least once a month
we just could not see the light

Mountainman
Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #37

I have been a member of coast to coast for years. I spend $10.00 a night at most places . Special resorts can get as high as $30.00. Almost all the parks were great. My home park in helen, Ga. cost yearly dues. I stay as much as I want and often as I want. Some times there is a 3wk limit. The advantages outweigh the cost. Camping 3-4 months out of the year.

They have a resale site where you can get a membership about $600.00 and you pick the home park. Some cost only $100.00 a year. I hve enjoyed my time spent at the camp grounds. $17.00 plus a night adds up quickly. I spend less than 2K a year total cost.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #38

[QUOTE=Mountainmanbob;194905]

It would not be one campsite only - but rather nine campsites that are treated as "home sites" and do not cost to stay. There are eight in Washington and one in Oregon.

To stay eight nights will not be a problem for us at all. We have already camped five nights this year. We plan on camping something like 50 nights this year. If we stayed at only KM campgrounds, we'd be saving in the order of $2,000 to $2,500 in c/g fees per year. But we will be travelling around and staying partly at affiliate sites and will be saving in the order of $1,500 to $2,000 in c/g fees. So you can see that if we deduct the annual KM fee of $395, we are saving a bundle each year.

The truth is, we plan to be doing a LOT of camping within a few years once DW is retired. At this rate the membership fee will be paid off within a couple of years and any camping then over 8 days is basically free camping.

We weighed the costs and type of camping required to make this viable and it works for our life style and way of camping quite well.

Of course, time will tell - but at this point this is right for us.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #39
Site Team

[QUOTE=myredracer;195027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post

It would not be one campsite only - but rather nine campsites that are treated as "home sites" and do not cost to stay. There are eight in Washington and one in Oregon.

To stay eight nights will not be a problem for us at all. We have already camped five nights this year. We plan on camping something like 50 nights this year. If we stayed at only KM campgrounds, we'd be saving in the order of $2,000 to $2,500 in c/g fees per year. But we will be travelling around and staying partly at affiliate sites and will be saving in the order of $1,500 to $2,000 in c/g fees. So you can see that if we deduct the annual KM fee of $395, we are saving a bundle each year.

The truth is, we plan to be doing a LOT of camping within a few years once DW is retired. At this rate the membership fee will be paid off within a couple of years and any camping then over 8 days is basically free camping.

We weighed the costs and type of camping required to make this viable and it works for our life style and way of camping quite well.

Of course, time will tell - but at this point this is right for us.
I have family members with memberships that get their value worth. I don't think it would be the same with me but maybe someday that would change.

I think you were wise to review the pros and cons before deciding. It can be a good deal for the right person. Have fun and enjoy it.

Happy Camping.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #40

I know many many folks that pay $1000-3000 a year to keep a camper at the same CG every year. Most camp 30 nights or so (3 of 4 weekends a month from may to sept). Usually elec is extra. Activities are extra as well (mini golf, etc). If you figure 2k a year and even 40 nights that's $50/nite. And you don't get to travel to other CGs or get any other benefits.

We plan to camp at least 15 days this year. Cost for our membership, per year, is $550, annual mtce fee is $300, so $850 for the year is $56/nite. If we can fit in a couple of more weekends that would drop to $42. At our and the affiliated ones we've stayed at all the activities are free (including loaning of the eqip to play). When you send the kids off to play mini golf a few times, you play tennis or shuffleboard it can add up to $10+ in savings per day as well.

There is also a different 'feeling' being at a membership type cg vs a public one. Hard to pinpoint what it is ... quieter is one thing that stands out to me.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad