Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #41
Site Team - Lou
I see that there are a lot of pros to the membership thing.

Since we travel a lot to unusual places we want to see; like to stay at military bases when we can; and we are not full time (or even most time) campers YET, a membership is not for us (again, so far).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #42
Good membership deals are probably things of the past. A friend of mine (from England) bought a membership several years ago and later paid more to get rid of the annual fees. He must be getting a pretty good deal right now as they keep trying to buy his membership back. Will see if I can remember to get more info Tuesday nite. Wayne

wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
To follow up on what we did.....

We went to the presentation. We went in with our eyes wide open and fearing the worst. We expected a seminar type thing with other people there but it was a one on one meeting with a sales rep. Very dissapointed with the presentation. No handouts. No brochures. Nothing on paper up front. The sales guy took a few sheets of paper and scribbled down a few notes as he spoke. He even wrote some notes upside down as he spoke. Argh. The guy was sort of like a used car salesman but pleasant at least.

He really was not very pushy and gave us the golf cart to tour on our own without him - as he likely got the message that we wanted to tour on our own. We talked to some resort owners when we toured around and they only provided positive feedback.

We went there with a written detailed list of questions that we wanted answered. We had to ask for a lot of info., much of which is not freely given to you. Argh. DW is an accountant and not willing to let anyone pull the wool over her eyes.

Sho 'nuf, there is no such thing as a free lunch in life. For the $2K gift, it's only good for 4 years. You still have to pay the annual dues of $295. AND, you can only use the one KM Resort campground for max. 4 visits a year and only for a max. of 6 nights per visit. Many people don't do 6-day long weekends so if you did some math and said say 3 visits each, or 12 days a year, this is no smokin' deal even if you don't have to pay the $2K membership fee.

However, we actually ended up buying a full membership. We put our $2K gift towards the full membership. We bartered as best we could but we were getting tired and might have been able to squeeze them a bit more. We ended up paying $3995 for a lifetime membership. Their "list/sticker" price for this is $7K. I doubt many pay the full price. For $3995 (which includes some extras) we got:
  • Free camping at any of the KM resorts in Washington. As a bonus, they included one they have in Oregon. Guaranteed access to these resorts. No 125 mile rule.
  • Membership in affiliated campgrounds - RPI, Coast to Coast & Good Neighbor - they paid the first years dues as well.
  • Can also use 1000 Trails ($15) and Enjoy America (50% off) and discounted rates at Preferred Access condo affiliates.
  • Typical overnight stays in camping affiliates are $10 - $15.
  • No restrictions on amount of resale times for the KM membership
  • Family pass - son can go on his own four times a year
  • Can bring up to six people in an RV and two tents for camping - they can park tent on tent site or trailer site.
  • We also got some free camping passes and "cabin" rentals for our friends - with it specifically written "no presentation required".
  • Friends can camp with us and pay about $35 a night for their own site
We figure that we will pay for the membership in 2 - 3 years based on avg. rates of $40 - $50 in typical campgrounds and our planned camping. It is a lot of money - but all in all we figure we will spend close to that in a few years and plan to travel lots when DW retires in about a year. So value for money for us.

Thanks to all the comments on this forum - we asked about each and every issue we heard about and then some.

I am retired and my DW has a lot of very flexible vacation so we can camp for most weekends easily.

And we still got a $25 certificate for a restaurant meal and gas cards worth $50. The KM Resort c/g in Blaine actually seems nice to us. We are just planning a trip to southern Oregon in July and we are about to find out how good the affiliated campgrounds are to get them booked.
So you can stay at Thousand Trials as part of your package? I see one thing I don't care for and it is the same rule you that we have at Thousand Trails as long as you pay a membership fee it is first come first serve on any spot in the park and thats ok, but the resorts should offer a different plan for those who just tent, I have seen on more then one occation where a tent was set up on a full hook-up site and then the next thng you know here comes an RV that needs a full hook-up and can't get one, and the RV can not go into the tent section, I think that a tenter should get a reduced rate and stay in any site for tenting only and if they what to change there way of camping in the future with an RV then they should be able to up-grade there membership. Now I am not talking about friends camping with you and setting a tent up next to your rig on the same site, I am talking about a tent taking a complete site...........Keep one thing in mind, when you go to this campground on a holiday and it's booked and you have problems looking for a full hook-up and you see a tent on a full hook-up site your out look might change a little.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #44
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
[CENTER]that is prox 8 days of camping
one needs to do each year
to pay for the 395 a year dues

then one would need to stay an additional
80 days between now and ??
to get back investment of 4 thousand

8 days of camping to pay for the $395 would be about $50 a day I have never paid $50 a day for a FHU site. My ave would be about $20 I stay in a lot of State and City Parks and Passport America Parks. So I would have to camp for 20 days to pay for the yearly dues. For the 4 thousand dollor investment 80 days would be at $50 a day to pay it off. For 4 thousand I can camp another 200 days. I just can't see how it could be cheaper money wise to buy a membership. I am retired and we camp 60 + days a year, we have been pulling a 5th Wheel for the last 15 years and most years take a 40 to 90 day trip. A lot of the places we go and stay there are not any membership parks. But after saying all of that its really all about what kind of camping you enjoy. If a membership campground and the cost makes you happy I am happy for you hope it all works out for the best for all. Keep us posted on how it goes.
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #45
Now days I think at least $30 a day is more common. Couple years ago in Wisconsin seems like it was close to $30 a nite (including the state parks sticker). Found a couple of state parks in Florida for $43 a nite last year when I was contemplating going there and they weren't in the southern part of the state either. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #46
So much depends on where you camp.
Sure, state parks are cheaper..around here few have full hookups, many have only elec/water and some don't have that.
Last one we stayed at wasn't much different than a grass covered parking lot with a bathhouse. No activities, no store, no garbage pickup, no fire ring, no cable/wifi, no dumpsite even.

The one public one we've stayed at a few times with my father in law is the exact opposite -lakes, fishing, boat rentals, pool, game room, store, paved roads, full hookups, 50amp on most sites, mini golf, tennis, shuffle board, laundromat...this year's prices?
Rates for Campers:
$50.00 per day Monday - Thursday
$75.00 per day Friday - Sunday
Pioneer Park Campground
Plus $2/day for folks to visit you.
June 1-4 would be $275
(our resort is 4 miles from this one)
Why so pricy here? It's the vacation spot for our half of the state. A big attraction is PA Pennsylvania Ski Resort | Four Season Resort | Seven Springs Mountain Resort - 7 Springs, plus Fallingwater | Home is 10 miles down the road, just past Discover Ohiopyle - The Laurel Highlands best kept secret (one of the top whitewater boating areas in the eastern us)

KOA's nearby are $68-78 depending on day/weekend 30/50amp full hookups.
June 1-4 would be $224
KOA's in the state but not near this area are $39-49.nite

State campground, elec only
PA*DCNR*-*Cook Forest State Park
$33/nite weekends, $29/weekday. June 1-4 would be $124.
Seems to be the same price statewide - IF you can get a reservation or course.
Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #47
The cost is going to go up even at state parks because of the budget problems that most states are having of late. With the price of fuel up and going higher and having to pay those camp fees, mostly $35 per day and up, I found a nice site at an RV park, a co-op, in Cedarville, UP, MI, and bought it, about $12,500. Wonderful place right on Lake Huron, bathhouse and laundry room, rec center, boat dock and swimming beach, if you can stand the cold water. It is operated by an elected board of directors, so we set the rules. It is open from May 1 to October 15 each year. You own it and can rent it out if you want. The lot that I got is about 40' by 60' and it was one of the lower priced ones, the ones that are water frount are about three times what I paid, but they are nice. There is also a fee for up keep of the place $345 per year and that is subject to go up over time as cost of things go up, but with a board of directors of older folks, like myself, they do their best to keep cost down.
The down sides, you must realy like the place and we do, it is very rural. There are rules set by the board and even if you don't like them, you may not be able to get them changed.
We live in SE Texas around 35 miles from Houston and to be able to get away from the Spring, Sumer and Fall weather here I can't think of a better place to be. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #48
There are more and more people camping now a days, it's a cheaper way of spending time with our families and friends then condo's However it is supply and demand that is going to rase the prices. To start with look at the cost of RV's and tow vehicles (trucks). Now that campers are made lighter that means one can buy a bigger rig and tow with smaller vehicles, now the campgrounds need to up date there sites to handle the larger rigs and in some cases they also need to up date the power supply and water supply. Bath houses, play equipment and all other amenities now have more wear and tear from the high demand usage so all of this stuff has to be repaired or replaced, not to mention the roads around the campgrounds, then the bottom line.......Profit...... and even the State Campgrounds will rise in cost as well. There's more cost to run a campground which would be under "operations" like payroll and things like that, but it is all relative. We all work all year to save money for vacations, all I can say is enjoy yourself with your family and friends and it is all about your kids, they grow up fast.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #49
Flagstaff 625D Popup
whj, that sounds like a good deal.

Can you stay as long as you like ? All year if you want ?

Are there any restrictions on selling your lot in the future ? Can you sell to anyone for any price ?

bean is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad