Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

We won an RV resort membership - are they any good?

We went to an RV show in Feb. and recently found out we won a lifetime membership to an RV resort in Washington. It's worth $2,000. My first reaction is that I am skeptical. Supposedly 1 in every 50 people who enter the draw get a free membership. It just sounds too good to be true.

We've heard of these sorts of places but know nothing about them. This one has an annual due of $295. They have a bunch of affiliates around the US that you can stay in for $10/night. That's about all we know so far and haven't dug into the fine print and restrictions yet. I think there is a max. number of days that you can stay at the home site.

Anyone familiar with these places? What are the pros and cons? Sounds intriguing. They're on the upscale side with manicured grass, numerous amenities, etc. Am guessing it would cut down on riff-raff neighbors (ones that roll in late at night and out real early, are noisy as heck, barking dog(s), excessive thumping/banging, yelling, etc., etc). I like the idea of having affiliates so you can always (I hope) get a spot at one of them.

There's got to be some cons? Maybe they are like a lifetime fitness gym membership where they are next to impossible to get out of? Maybe there's hidden fees somewhere? Maybe they get overbooked sometimes?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Imo steer clear but again thats jmo

Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

Are you saying that you won a membership, but still have to pay an annual fee and for camping?
Doesn't sound like much of a prize to me!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

There may be a thread in the Archive section but we have not had this come up recently. So lets "have at it again."

RV resort memberships are a real good deal IF (ALL are required):

1) You camp A LOT (minimum 30 days a year)

2) You LOVE the "home" park you have your membership at and spend at LEAST 15 days a year camping there. EVERY YEAR FOREVER

3) 300 bucks a year, MINIMUM as it can go up, FOREVER whether you camp there or not.

4) Only have a 30 Amp camper. There is a surcharge at almost all campgrounds in the resort chain for 50 amp service.

5) 10 bucks a night at "associated" campgrounds PLUS fees. (Bend over)

6) "Associated" Resorts have waiting lists for "non home" campers. (Good luck getting in).

7) Adding another "Home" resort can cost thousands; with additional maintenance fees.

We got a "FREE" membership with our camper purchase for TWO home parks (limited to east of the Mississippi). It was "Worth Thousands"
We LOVE to camp at Gettysburg and there was a resort there and we LOVE camping in Florida and there was a resort there.

To make the "maintenance fee" ALONE pay, would would have to camp at both our home parks for over 30 days a year. We would have no time left for traveling and seeing the National Parks we wanted to see.

We are not "full timers" (yet) so after examining all the facts, (that are like pulling TEETH from their triple cursed "sales people" to get, we threw our "FREE membership worth thousands of dollars," away.

TANSTAAFL - Hit the "Trail"

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

What is the resort name? Maybe some on FRF can share their experiences with it.

I would also Google the resort. I don't know enough about that side of the industry except what pops up on the Trailer sites I frequent. From what I see, there are lots of RV Resorts with bad reviews and some are called scams. Make sure yours is not one of them.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Are you saying that you won a membership, but still have to pay an annual fee and for camping?
Doesn't sound like much of a prize to me!
Agree. If 100 people "won" that same prize, that is $29,500 per year for that RV resort. Don't sign any paperwork until you fully check it out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

See the "repeating number" in my post and the comment following TANSTAAFL at the end of the post for your clues to mine.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

The name of the resort is KM Resorts. The campground in Birch Bay, Wa. is called Beachwood.

Link: Beachwood Resort | KM Resorts of America The website is definitely very thin on details and info.

Getting more skeptical all the time.....
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
We went to an RV show in Feb. and recently found out we won a lifetime membership to an RV resort in Washington. It's worth $2,000. My first reaction is that I am skeptical. Supposedly 1 in every 50 people who enter the draw get a free membership. It just sounds too good to be true.

We've heard of these sorts of places but know nothing about them. This one has an annual due of $295. They have a bunch of affiliates around the US that you can stay in for $10/night. That's about all we know so far and haven't dug into the fine print and restrictions yet. I think there is a max. number of days that you can stay at the home site.

Anyone familiar with these places? What are the pros and cons? Sounds intriguing. They're on the upscale side with manicured grass, numerous amenities, etc. Am guessing it would cut down on riff-raff neighbors (ones that roll in late at night and out real early, are noisy as heck, barking dog(s), excessive thumping/banging, yelling, etc., etc). I like the idea of having affiliates so you can always (I hope) get a spot at one of them.

There's got to be some cons? Maybe they are like a lifetime fitness gym membership where they are next to impossible to get out of? Maybe there's hidden fees somewhere? Maybe they get overbooked sometimes?
We have also "won" that "free" membership at Beachwood, I think 3 times now, the last one being at the same show that you "won" yours. A couple of years ago we actually took the mandatory tour (the one you have to take to "win" your free membership, and the one where you find out what it is actually going to cost you). We listened to their pitch,took the tour, collected our $50.00 Camping World voucher, and politely declined to enroll. The park itself is not bad and the program itself would be OK if you are the type to use it - we weren't !! Did not want to limit ourselves to resort "camping" in specific locations, which is the only way that it made financial sense to us.

If you are looking for an excuse for a day trip to Washington and don't mind a fairly high pressure sales pitch, by all means, go for it. Just don't expect something for nothing.

...VTX-Al
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
DDC

I've had one since 1993, I am number one on their membership list and my maintenance fee's are a small fraction of what they charge now and my contract says they can't be changed, gave them quite a scare when we brought the contract to them when they wanted to up the fee's, I think we have had our money's worth from it but if I were looking today I think passport America and maybe good-sam is all I would be buying into.
Give some thought to the size of the park membership, they hope and pray that every member does not want to come in at the same time, it's like the airlines selling 1000 tickets for a plane with 350 seats.

Tags
led pad