Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

West Virginia campgrounds

My husband and I are planning a white water rafting trip in WV. We haven't been able to find any campgrounds that suit us. He is very picky. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Brian, Kellie, Breanna & Alyssa
2011 Crusader 320RLT
BC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

Private or Public? I have had some friends who have stayed at Canaan Valley Resort State Park and gave it a glowing recommendation to me. Not sure if that is near where you want to white water at though.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC11 View Post
My husband and I are planning a white water rafting trip in WV. We haven't been able to find any campgrounds that suit us. He is very picky. Does anyone have any suggestions?
West Virginia is a huge state. Maybe if you narrowed the area down to where you will be rafting, members can give you a better picture to what is available in that area.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Pipestem State Park is very nice, located in southern WVA.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC11 View Post

Thank you.
Since you wrote " white water rafting" and are coming from Ky my guess is you will be in the Beckley area of WV, assuming you plan to do the Gauley or a little less technical New River.

If you can help with the "picky" by telling us what that means I am sure we can help find you the campgrounds that your looking for. Keep this in mind, the New River Gorge Area is beautiful and rugged, gets a lot of tourist, but the camping is not the best, I guess they feel that the people come to Raft, hike or sight see and the CG dose not need to be the destination point so that is not where the money gets spent? Rafting is awesome though, and by the end of the day your just happy to have a comfortable place to lay down.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

If you are white water rafting I am guessing you will be doing the Gauley and/or New River. Area keeps growing as do number of campgrounds although some are basically an open field with nothing.

If you are doing these rivers I would probably check out the places between Fayetteville and Summersville along US19. Most seem to be a little better in amenitites, so on. Summersville Lake is a popular site and I know several people who camp near it every year.

Most of the state parks are nice. The campsites are sometimes a bit too close for my liking but that seems to be the case with most camp grounds.
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

We are coming from KY. We haven't decided where for sure we are going looking to see if there were any nice campgrounds close to anything. I want water and electric. We have a 36 foot Crusader 5th wheel. We have to watch the trees because the 5th wheel sets up so high.
We were looking at the lower new river.

Brian, Kellie, Breanna & Alyssa
2011 Crusader 320RLT
BC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

Most of the outfitters have lodging but it is either their cabins, which doesn't help you, or tent sites, which doesn't help either.

You may take a look at the Gorge Gateway Center and Cantrell Ultimate Rafting, both have RV sites and appear to have hookups. I have not stayed at either of these so unfortunately can't give you a first hand yes or no on either.

You may also want to look at Babcock State Park. It is a nice park and has RV hookup sites. It is a little more of a drive then the two private places but still may want to take a look at it.

Speaking of driving, I-64/77 (WV Turnpike) is 4 lane but lots of curves and lots of steep grades. US 19 is 4 lane but some grades on it as well. Just remember in WV a 10 mile trip may be 20 miles of driving and take 40 minutes!
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #9

These are your two best choices in IMHO, they both book up so early planning will help you get a spot. Both of these offer full hookups, or just elect and water your choice.

Summersville Lake Retreat
New River Campground Inc.

FYI, if you do Raft the lower New, and like it I'd suggest you do the Gauley also while your there. You should pick a guide company if you have not, I'd suggest one the guides on both rivers, discuss the water conditions related to when you want to go. They do controlled water release and the trip can very based on the release schedule, a guide that covers both rivers will offer to put you in the best place based on water level and your skills/comfort.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #10

Battle Run Campground on Summersville Lake. Beautiful lake near white water rafting areas.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #11

Battle Run has electric but no water. You can fill tanks and dump at the entrance to the campground.